Sleeping with a pillow between the knees

Options
I've been having lower back pain for months now when i get up in the morning. Usually i ice and take advil for it. But was wondering if sleeping with a pillow between my knees would help this condition. Anybody out there use a pillow between the knees when they sleep? What are your thoughts? I've been to a chiropractor twice and they were no help at all.

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that Mike...sounds a little kinky to me... :laugh:

Seriously though, I hope you find a solution...lower back pain sucks!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    My wife has been doing this for the last 10 years and finds it much better.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    depends on how you sleep, but i had back problems and i sleep on my back so putting a pillow under my calves to take the arch out of the spine helped me, if you sleep on your side then between the knees is a similiar principle. best thing is to strengthen your core though, good luck
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yep. I sleep that way. Also I make sure I'm sleeping with my spine straight. I tend to curl up if I'm not careful and that really makes my lower back hurt in the morning.

My doc told me aging causes those little cushiony pillows (discs) in the back to harden and lose their cushioning ability, too.

Have you tried core exercise? Strengthening the supporting muscles helped me a lot.
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband sleeps with a pillow between his knees but still wakes up sometimes with back pain so who knows!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a body pillow I snuggle with every night. It's my boyfriend's enemy. I couldn't sleep without it. I just use it for comfort not for back pain.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm doing P90x so getting good core from yoga (hate it). I'm a side sleeper but think I'm curling so taking my back out of alignment.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been having lower back pain for months now when i get up in the morning. Usually i ice and take advil for it. But was wondering if sleeping with a pillow between my knees would help this condition. Anybody out there use a pillow between the knees when they sleep? What are your thoughts? I've been to a chiropractor twice and they were no help at all.

This may sound ironic, but for me, lifting weights has helped my lower back pain tremendously. Look online for exercises to do for back pain. There are many. I joined my gym and take classes for lifting, so I get a full body workout, but you can just do ones for lower back too.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Anybody out there use a pillow between the knees when they sleep?
    I broke my back and left hip many years ago and have slept on my side with a pillow between my knees ever since. I find that if I don't have a pillow between my knees, or sleep on my back, my back will spasm for hours once I'm awake. I can't remember who suggested it at the time - either my surgeon or my physiotherapist - but I'm finding it works well for me. YMMV though.
    This may sound ironic, but for me, lifting weights has helped my lower back pain tremendously.
    My physiotherapist recommended weight lifting as a way to strengthen my lower back. I just started last week but - even with post workout "ouchies" - I've already found that the level of back pain I'm used to enduring has decreased. I've gone from a spasms and constant pain to a dull ache most days. I'd highly recommend looking into exercises to increase core strength and am finding that squats are quickly becoming my new best friend!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I had to start sleeping with a pillow between my knees during my second pregnancy - I was the only way I could alleviate pain in my hips and lower back since I couldn't sleep on my back or stomach at the time. I have also found that ever since I started working out with weights, I have not had any back problems like I used to. Mind you the biggest thing I've worked with so far is a pair of 15 lb dumbbells, but it has definitely improved things.
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We got a new mattress and my lower back pain became unbearable. I spoke to the pharmacist at work about it, and she suggested a pillow between my legs while I sleep. I noticed an improvement immediately. After a few weeks, the back pain was gone completely and now I don't need the pillow anymore. Good luck to you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't know a life without something between my legs . . . when I'm sleeping . . . like a pillow.

No seriously, I have hip pain if I don't sleep with a pillow between my legs.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i did when i had the torn cartilage. it was the only way to stop it from rubbing and keeping me awake all night, but i don't see how it will help with back pain? are you going to prop your legs up, is that the idea?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I did when I was pregnant a lot, which is probably when my back (and hips) were the craziest... and it really seemed to help. I hope it gives you some help!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I've had lower back pain since a car accident over 3 years ago! The trick with seeing a chiropractor is going often and regularly... that's the best way to get results. I love mine but without the car insurance there's no way I could have gone as often as I did at first.

Other than that, do your best to sleep on your back (i suggest a pillow under your thighs and an airline pillow under your neck) on a firm mattress. if you have time for it, lay on a hard surface like the floor for 30minutes a night, which should also help.

strengthening your core will DEF help (as other posters have said) and take a trip to a physical therapist so they can show you some good back exercises (and most importantly, show you how to do them correctly! they can be tricky).

best of luck! back pain is the worst :-(
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i dont know about the pain, but i bunch up the blanket and sleep with it between my knees..its just more comfy to me..good luck, feel better
  • mdundon09
    mdundon09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit of sleeping with a pillow between my knees during my pregnancies and I find that I still want to sleep that way 95% of the time. I don't know what it is but it really adds to sleeping comfiness!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    All I can say is Sleep Number Bed. It has worked wonders for me!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    All I can say is Sleep Number Bed. It has worked wonders for me!

AGREED!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Always sleep like this as long as I can remember. I think it's more comfortable because I have wide "child bearing" hips.