Stores, and their annoying sinze changes!

Options
2»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It does make online shopping harder unless you already know the brand....I usually buy online only from Lands End and know how their clothes fit me.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Don't some designers, especially European ones, do it by measurement?

Don't even begin to wish for European sizing - I was looking at a website this morning which listed the Italian, French, Spanish, 'European' ie Germany, UK and 'International' sizes for each item in their size guide. All totally different!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's just a number, don't let your confidence be ruled by it. I have jeans that are a size 8, and I have jeans that are a size 15...they both fit the exact same way, but the brands are different. Who cares what the number is? Nobody sees it but you!

I think the "problem" or complaint is about having to try on different sizes to get a pair that fits more than worrying about the actual number itself.

Consistency would be easier.

Agreed. I don't really care what size I am (Although a size six does boost the ego!), I just get really annoyed that I have to try on a million different sizes everywhere I go because they are all diferent. Crazy annoying..
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    They do it because they know suckers like me want to see a smaller size on that tag. When I was skinny and way too obsessed about my weight, I chased those size 3/4 tags and even if I didn't consciously avoid a store that showed my correct size (probably a 6 or 7/8) I probably unconsciously gravitated toward stores with more vanity sizing.

Of course, I've always loved thrift stores more than department stores, so take that, clothing industry!
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    How do they expect you to shop on-line, when the sizes are inconsistent like that.

^^^^ no kidding! I hate shopping for clothes, even when I get to my goal body. I think I understand now why I hate shopping, it's because I have to try on everything. I too wish they would all stick to the same tape measure when designing clothes.
  • Dogwalker1989
    Options
    My goal was always to get into a UK12. But after losing 98lbs I fitted into an UK8.

Knowing that did boost my self esteem, at my biggest I was a UK20 and back at school the size 8 girls were little petite things.

When I regained some of the weight I kept telling myself it wasn't that bad after all I could still squeeze into UK10, although UK12 was more comfortable.

I nearly cried when I was trying on Bridemaid dresses and a 14 didn't zip up. Yes I'd put on weight but surely I hadn't gone up that high.

Turns out my current actual size is a UK 14-16 (my bust puts me into a 16 top). But the majority of my clothes coming from supermarkets own brands are a size 10-12.

Spud
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I am going to start a clothing line based on me.
    whatever fits me is a zero.... and then it randomly goes in size from there.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I wish they sized women's jeans like men's.

Ergh.
  • kducky22
    Options
    I am going to start a clothing line based on me.
    whatever fits me is a zero.... and then it randomly goes in size from there.

:laugh: i'm assuming that's how they got the sizes they are at now...
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've heard that men's pants are starting to get inflated sizes too - i.e. a 34x36 may be slightly more than 34 inches around the waist... just another symptom of America's refusal to acknowledge the obesity epidemic!

It's been that way for a while. Pants marked as 34s are probably closer to 38-39 inches.
  • atx7
    Options
    waistline-measurement-chart-for-men-090710-xlg.jpg
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I've heard that men's pants are starting to get inflated sizes too - i.e. a 34x36 may be slightly more than 34 inches around the waist... just another symptom of America's refusal to acknowledge the obesity epidemic!

It's been that way for a while. Pants marked as 34s are probably closer to 38-39 inches.
    yes.
    for example, mens 34 jeans from old navy are for a 37" waist...
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I wish they sized women's jeans like men's.

Ergh.

Guys tend to have the same problem.. we just don't notice it as much. :-)

I wear a 34 waist. I notice if I get them at Kholes, they are snug... not tight, but they fit snug. I went to Walmart and picked up another pair, same size, and I am swimming in them.
  • kducky22
    Options
    waistline-measurement-chart-for-men-090710-xlg.jpg

Holy cow Old Navy!!
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have jeans that are a us 12 that are loose and 10s that are tight! I am a size 10 US / 14 UK
  • atx7
    Options
    I have jeans that are a us 12 that are loose and 10s that are tight!

Isn't that normal?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How do they expect you to shop on-line, when the sizes are inconsistent like that.

Oh, they include a (not so handy) sizing chart on the websites.

Which often is not specific to the brand...I order 2-3 sizes and return the extras.