Any Elliptical advice??

Options
2»

Replies

• kidbxrs
    kidbxrs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    And if you've never used one before, know ahead that your feet are going to get numb and it's perfectly normal and you will get ised to it.

So agreed. I do find my self rolling my feet to help keep the pressure off them. It starts for me after about 30 minutes.

Mine too. I hate it but deal with the numbing feet because I love the elliptical.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For those whose feet go numb . . . loosen your shoe laces on the entire shoe. Don't lace them up tight. Keep the side where the laces go in the holes a bit wider than your foot and then don't tie them so tight at the top. This will help 95% of people whose feet go numb!! Try it!

Also, do wiggle your toes and change the position of your foot if you can so you aren't pressing on the same spot for the entire workout. Put some pressure on your heels instead of always on the balls of you feet. For me, this seems to work my quads more as well and feels good.

Pedal backwards sometimes too. It works different muscles and give your feet a change of position as well.

Good shoes do make a difference as well. But, you have to find what works best for you. Cross trainers don't work for me but super light running shoes do (I don't run - I only use them on the elliptical).

As everyone else suggested, try different routines with differnt speeds/hills etc. to keep it interesting. Have fun and enjoy your new "toy!!"

The loose shoes do nothing for me personally, that was the first thing I tried when the toes on my right foot started going numb. Didn't help a bit. I've since just gotten used to moving my right foot around a bit during my workout. Usually I'm on the elliptical 30 minutes before it goes numb.

For the poster, don't get discouraged if you can't stay on that long at first. You'll build endurance. The elliptical is a great cardio machine.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I was told by a physical therapist years ago to not use the handles or use them with a hold just to keep your balance. When people grip them, their posture changes and they could be hurting themselves. I see people at the gym all the time hunched over, gripping the supports. Keep the level low enough so that you can stand up straight and move.

Maybe the "hunched over" peeps are doing intervals. I use the elliptical a TON. My feet do not go numb because I move my feet. I don't keep them plastered flat for the duration of the workout. They move just like they would if I were using the treadmill. I use the arms and have never had an issue with my posture on it. The only time I could be viewed as "hunched over" is when I am doing an intense interval or am cooling down with barely enough energy to stand. Using the handles gets your arms in on the exercise and ups your HR and increases the calorie burn.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was told by a physical therapist years ago to not use the handles or use them with a hold just to keep your balance. When people grip them, their posture changes and they could be hurting themselves. I see people at the gym all the time hunched over, gripping the supports. Keep the level low enough so that you can stand up straight and move.

I can't comment on the above but if you do use your arms you get a great workout. Uses more muscle groups. You can push and pull focusing on arms for 30 sec or a min then let your legs take over. Using your arms helps work pecs, lats, arms. Focus on your core and stomach in your movements too. I love my elliptical workouts. Enjoy yourself!
  • methodless
    Options
    When I started, I found the motion awkward, I found raising the resistance and lowering the RPM really helped

In general, I prefer to have a higher resistance than a higher RPM, I will knock it down a couple of points if I am sore or beyond tired
  • Caitella
    Caitella Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you!!! Yea thats actually really good to know,..i'll be sure to wear good shoes!! I want to lose weight so bad!!!! lol Im picking it up on Weds or Thurs so I am putting it right in front of the TV!!! Thank you!!!!

The shoes really don't matter. It's because your feet are stationary, so there's little blood flow. But after a while, you don't really notice and it goes away as soon as you get off.

It's a great workout and because it's pretty much no-impact, you don't feel like you're working out as hard as you are.

Oh my gosh! I thought I was weird because my right foot always went numb. Good to know!

Haha, me too.It's always my right foot, especially my toes. Kicks in around the 20 min mark. Good to know it's normal...wonder why it's just one foot though?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight, don't support any of your bodyweight by leaning over. Loosen shoelaces to help with numb feet...Also going backwards for a minute every once in a while helps with numb feet. Mine used to get numb, but I guess I got over it?? I don't know, but they don't do that anymore...ENJOY!! LOVE ME SOME ELLIPTICAL!!! :drinker:
  • 9Kasey
    9Kasey Posts: 5
    Options
    Try intervals for a good workout. I included a link Jillian Michaels has about the elliptical. It's such a good workout if you use it right. Good luck!!

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/elliptical-machines
  • jr7648661
    Options
    I love my elliptical. I use it almost daily. I've lost 30 lbs. in the last year and the elliptical has been my faithful companion. I watch dr. oz when i'm on it and have worked myself up to 45 minutes. In the summer I do more walking and outdoor activities. I have a nordic track and it is a little squeaky. Enjoy using your elliptical!