I'm debating whether or not to stop counting fruits and vegg

Options

Replies

• WatchMomRun
    Options
    I would count everything. WW is not calorie counting and that's what MFP is. I don't think you should mix and match. I think it's risky to pick and choose certain parts of a diet plans that you like, like unlimited fruits and veg, and mix them with another plan. The plans I think are more different than you might think.

One reason that I stopped using WW is that when they stopped counting fruits and veggies as points they increased the points of other things. Like one glass of wine is the same amount of calories as the banana (120) but the wine gets 4 points! Yikes! I hated that, lol!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure bananas have points in weight watchers...
  • warriormonk
    warriormonk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't agree so much with the response "calories are calories." Let's face it - there are calories from [nutritionally] good sources and calories from junk.

I think your approach makes sense - don't feel guilty for eating nutritionally sound food :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As far as calories are concerned... I do count them (though I don't beat myself up over the caloric intake of the... now a twix bar on the other hand.)... but as far as sugars are concerned... I don't.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I would log everything! If your calorie goal doesn't allow you to eat a serving of fruit or 2 and 3-4 healthy filling meals, then you may just need to up your calories a bit. Maybe move a little bit more. It's all about balance. :-)
    Good advice. Log the calories -- you need to know how much fruit you're eating, even if it does make you go over your calories.

On the positive side, you'll see how much nutrition you're getting from all the vitamins in those fruits and veggies.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I switched from ww to mfp last spring. At first I tried to keep eating my "free" fruits & veggies. I wasn't losing. Considering a medium banana is over 100 calories that adds up. An apple, a banana & a veggie serving could easily add up to an extra 250 calories a day. Thats .5 lb worth of calories. I have learned to record everything and err on the side of caution with my exercise calories. The weight is coming off this way. Good Luck!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think this is about somehow cheating or fooling myself, it's about being realistic about what will and won't put on weight, and how exactly things impact me emotionally.

I'd rather mindlessly nibble on blueberries while watching TV, than gorge on chips. Allowing for freedom in this one area seems to be relaxing me so far. I just ate a handful of red grapes and half an apple with this gleeful feeling of 'this is my free food, I don't have to walk 20 minutes to burn off an apple." Even though it was 55 calories. No one ever got fat eating an apple. It's more of a state of mind thing.

Just as I don't rely on the scale, I rely on the mirror and my "fighting weight" jeans to tell me if I feel and look good--I would consider my ideal diet an "eat right, don't obsess over 50 calories worth of pineapple" one. So, that being the case, maybe this will work for a while. Especially since I don't eat 89 pieces of fruit in a day, but I'd rather reach for a peach when I need a snack than a cookie.

I think you have a healthy mental idea here. Also - how much deficit do you have built in? Because really, its very unlikely that you'll eat more than 200-300 calories worth of fruit and veggies in a day no matter how hard you try (now if you add sugar or oil/butter to them do count that). Maybe you'll lose a bit slower but you won't feel stressed about eating a piece of fruit and I think that's worth a lot.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WW has changed their points system, however, they forget to tell the folks that now think that veggies & fruits are zero points that they are only allowed 5 of these free servings a day. After that, you're suppose to start taking points for them.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=40701&sc=3010
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone--there's some super valuable info and advice here.

I think that since I'm new to counting, the weighing and measuring of 8 carrot sticks and a kiwi at lunch, only to then "blow" my exercise calories with a paltry banana made my face hurt. I admire those of you who can demurely eat 3 strawberries and call it a day--alas, my brain can't take it! I'm coming from a place of reckless Rolo abandon--I think I need to allow myself a limitless supply of blueberries for the time being.

I'll try the fruits and veg are free route for a few weeks, and then perhaps take it back to counting just fruit. I'll certainly keep you posted:-)

If you are new to counting, I highly suggest logging everything you eat or drink, no matter what it is.

Thanks. The problem is I currently *deeply* resent being made to labor over 8 carrot sticks, knowing full well no one ever gained weight eating carrots. I feel like if I ease into it, and let myself zone out at my desk with some snap peas (where once it was gummy bears) I'll better be able to not hate the hell out of this process, as I found myself doing today with all the weighing and fretting over plant foods.

It would be really interesting to see your diary...I understand your frustration and the desire to focus on healthy food vs. Rolos and Gummy bears. For most fruits and veggies the calories are low relative to starchy/fatty foods, so may it be possible that you would make better choices anyway by counting everything? I'm imagining you'd still be ahead of the game logging 50 blueberries vs 50 Rolos...

At the end of the day, I usually have a few calories to play with, and at that point fruit and veggies are always a great bet to fill the gap.

Anyway, good luck!
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    Well, I'm a fruit hound when they're in season - and if allowed I'll eat half a watermelon in a day. According to MFP this ammounts to something like 600 calories! This is how I ate normal sized meals and still gained weight (that and the soda).

I try to treat the calories I eat back as something that should be filled with "good calories" anyway, rather then chips or cookies!
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to change your outlook. "Good thing I earned those exercise calories so I can enjoy this banana!"

Personally I think you should log everything. If I didn't log fruits and veggies I would gain for sure.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Thanks. The problem is I currently *deeply* resent being made to labor over 8 carrot sticks, knowing full well no one ever gained weight eating carrots. I feel like if I ease into it, and let myself zone out at my desk with some snap peas (where once it was gummy bears) I'll better be able to not hate the hell out of this process, as I found myself doing today with all the weighing and fretting over plant foods.

Again, when you shift your thinking to "healthy fuel", there won't be as much resentment. Instead of determining the quality of the food by points, you can evaluate it on your own according to how many total calories you can eat.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    calories are calories. You could try with certain veggies, but I would always count fruit.

This. Plus I have other things set on my diary to watch, like fiber, sodium, protein, carbs, so I don't want to miss logging fiber-rich veggies to give myself credit.

I still think you should eat fruit and veg with abandon...but logging them gives you the most complete picture of your nutrients. If it makes you feel better, reset what you are tracking on your diary to show calcium or vitamin C as well as the typical cals, fat, etc. so that you see some positive things on there as well.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of any "free" foods. It gives me the same feeling as logging "cleaning" or "cooking" as exercise. I feel like I am trying to cheat reality.

Ha! I'd never log cooking, but I have logged cleaning. I wouldn't log just general every day straightening up, but I get as tired/sore doing a couple hours of heavy cleaning as I do when I work out. Moving furniture, washing walls (up and down, up and down, up and down), taking out bags and bags of trash/donations, etc. Not logging it seems to be cheating... that is way over and above my "sedentary/desk job" rating. Plus, there's little more that I hate than heavy cleaning and it takes the promise of ice cream afterwards to get me to do it... I cleaned it, I burned it, I deserve it!
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mon 04/02/12 02:29 PMHere is my take on this - I log everything I eat, even the little bites here and there. But if I go over my 1200 allowed calories, I do not overreact. I figure if I wasn't counting calories, I would probably eat more then 2000 without even knowing about it, so I would rather know that I went 200 or even 300 calories over my limit because it would still be less then I used to eat. That is why I love this plan, it gives you a freedom to decide what to eat and as long as you are reasonable you will still lose weight. Maybe just not as fast. This gives me the ability to stick with this plan and make it a way of life. If you start beating yourself up for every calory that you went over, you will soon quit and that is not what you want to do.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of any "free" foods. It gives me the same feeling as logging "cleaning" or "cooking" as exercise. I feel like I am trying to cheat reality.

Exactly! I wore my HRM as I cleaned the house one day... just for fun... and unless people are running up and down the stairs constantly with a heavy clothing basket, those estimates are WAY high.

I had a MFP friend who seriously logged over 1,000 calories burned for food prep. ARE YOU JOKING? ;)

Eh, if I'm gardening: digging, planting, raking, sweeping dead moss, moving outdoor toys and chasing chickens, the "gardening" estimate ends up being pretty accurate.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get the "calories are calories" argument, but not all calories are the same. I'm not just talking about the carb/fat/protein distinction. Fruits and veggies are loaded with nutrients that you won't get in, say, a handful of pretzels or a 100 calorie pack of cookies.

I'm a big fan of logging everything - not just so that I can see that I've eaten within my calorie range, but so that I can feel good about the choices that I made. A banana is a "punishment" if you're only considering the calories and not the choices you've made. Sure, you could have grabbed a 100 calorie pack of cookies, but would you feel as good about that decision if you looked at your log at the end of the day? Logging my good choices gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day and I'd really hate to lose that.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have never counted veg, just sweetcorn. Always count fruit though :)
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count them? :indifferent:
  • WendyKing1974
    WendyKing1974 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables make up 90% of what I eat. If I didn't log them, my diary would be practically empty and would give me a false perception of what I intake. That said, each person has to find what works for them.

Same here. They do add up... especially fruits, avocados, and root vegetables.

Root veggies! I am always shocked when I log my brussell sprouts and find out how many calories there are in them. I'd count everything, but that's me.