Water vs Diet Sodas & Flavored Water

Options
OK, I hate water!!! I do drink a lot of caffeine free diet coke/pepsi and occasionally a flavored water.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will I lose faster if I stop the diet drinks and flavored water and just try drink it straight? How bout with whiskey (wink wink)?

Replies

• figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think flavored water is great! I drink it all day long.... 64oz or more a day... I hate plain water!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I personally have reduced the amount of diet Coke and flavored water I drink in order to eliminate the artificial sweeteners in my diet. I'm reading an awesome book called THE END of OVEREATING and he re-iterates what many, many other studies show...our body doesn't get any satisfaction from the *fake* sugars and will continue to crave something sweet. This leads me to over indulge my sweet tooth. I've gone from a 6 pack of diet Coke and several flavored waters (Propel, Lifewater) daily to plain water and 1 small bottle of diet Coke ~ 8oz~ every day or every other day with the occasional (maybe once a week) treat of flavored water. I don't know about the weight loss aspect, I just know I need every advantage to defeat my sweet tooth.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I know that diet drinks usually contain quite a bit of sodium, and sodium is a big culprit in retaining water! I'm sure you've heard about "water weight." Cutting as much sodium as possible can help with that. Every little bit helps!
  • mrsbice
    Options
    I would suggest water, water and more water. Most of those flavored waters have artificial sugars in them, and they do your body no good. I would especially lay off the diet drinks, i don't drink them due to getting migranes from artificial sweetners, but my dad used to drink them all the time. He stopped drinking them and the weight just fell off him.

If you still love the flavored waters, there is a new one on the market from dasani and it uses no sweetners or preservatives and is all natural. they come in lime and kiwi melon (or something like that). Lime is my favorite. it is like squeezing a lime in your drink. Flavor, but without the bad stuff.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is just as bad, if not worse than regular soda, IMO. I would steer clear of the carbonated beverages all together. I have experienced, and witnessed, great health benefits, as well as weight loss, from doing nothing different aside from cutting the soda. If you can't do plain water, try putting lemon slices in it, I've heard that's pretty good. I have learned to like water more than any other drink, from 5 years ago when I had a 6 pack of Pepsi per day, and water made me cramp and sick! How unhealthy must I have been, lol.
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Slicing lemons, limes, cucumbers, etc and putting them in your Brita or whatever water container you use so it infuses the water with the flavor is a great way to make water less boring. I've never really understood how someone can hate water, since it's flavorless and so good for you, but I do know several people that do hate it and I've suggested this to them.

Good luck!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    I hate water too! Gaaaaggggg!
  • qoe100
    qoe100 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!! I'm going to try to ween myself off the diet sodas. I've heard others say that they lost weight just by cutting out diet beverages.
  • TwoSpirits
    TwoSpirits Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is something that I just asked on my profile. I hate water too, except when I'm riding my bike or some other type of exercise. But throughout my day, I drink very little water to none...and I don't ride my bike or exercise every day. I recently discovered the option of using Crystal Lite powder in my water, and it made it much more diserable. So this is a question that I have been pondering today and I googled it and found this message board, among some others on other sites. The overall opinion is that straight water is the best, but flavored water is better than no water. I will have to look for the desani ones that some of you mentioned. Thanx.