healthier roux ????

Options
raylenebrooks
raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
Any ideas I want to make a individual chicken potpie and in my head it is perfect but how should I thicken it??? a typical flour roux, maybe corn starch or just a package gravy any ideas??

Replies

• honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I believe with roux you need to fry it in butter, so I wouldn't suggest that. I would just use corn starch mixed in cold water. I hope it turns out good, sounds yummy!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Technically a roux doesn't have to use butter...you can use oil I believe (though I never have....)

Not that its a whole lot better. Corn starch is probably the way to go.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not so much... pot pies mmmm not so healthy.. too many calories... veggies are good though..sorry
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would use cornflour to thicken it, mixed with enough water to make a paste - just make sure you take it off the heat when adding or it might go lumpy
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    Cornstarch and chicken broth
  • dogloverabby
    dogloverabby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I thicken gravy with a mixture of Flour and water shaken or stirred till flour is mixed
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the cornstarch for thickening, and just using a homemade gravy, made from chicken broth or stock.

maybe it's just me, but that really doesn't seem that bad, considering it's not store-bought gravy, plus, all the veggies, and protein.... but hey.... It's Monday :)
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've made a roux with oil, water, butter, bacon fat....
    Best bet in my opinion would be to Brown the flour/cornmeal/whatever in water with seasonings and go from there.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You could also use extra virgin olive oil if you wanted to use an oil, but I like the idea of cold chicken broth and corn starch.

Swanson has even come out with UNSALTED chicken and beef broths! I almost swooned when I saw it!

Don't listen to the haters - you can make a chicken pot pie for under 500 calories if you do it right. If you're like me, you eat most of your calories for dinner. (oh, I know, some people freak out "YOU CAN"T EAT AT NIGHT - YOU'LL TURN INTO A GREMLIN!")

Except I do. And I haven't yet. ANd oh yeah, I am losing weight. :drinker: :noway: :drinker:
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use EVOO/skim milk for most of my roux, but for chicken pot pies/casseroles, I just use chicken stock and corn starch.

BTW, rework chicken soup into casserole by just adding cornstarch, heating in a casserole dish - brand new meal!
  • raylenebrooks
    Options
    Ok I was leaning towards the cornstarch. I will load it with vegies and protein oh and make it small Im thinking it will come in around 300 calories I will update once I make it if it turns out :)
  • cal1958
    cal1958 Posts: 5
    Options
    A roux can be made two ways. First is flour and butter. A butter roux is typically used for seafood dishes such as Etouffee's. The second type of roux is a flour and oil roux. This roux is typically used for gumbo's, stew's and like dishes. For a healther roux, try using a quality olive oil or almond oil with whole wheat flour. Just remember that an oil based roux does not brown as quickly as a butter roux so it will take longer to get the roux color you are trying to achieve. I have made both types many times. Good luck with your pot pie dish.
  • Ronnvee
    Ronnvee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour to my chicken and veges in the pan and stir it into everything - leave to cook out for 5 or so minutes (keep stirring) then add my stock gradually, stirring. It doesnt go all clumpy. If you want a creamy finish a tablespoon or two of fat free sour cream added once taken off the heat is nice.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    No no no everybody! :)
    Tony Cachere's has instant roux mix! It comes in a yellow sprinkle can. They've also got an instant white gravy mix. You mix it with 2 parts water, no butter/oil. The can says it's 10 calories per teaspoon. This is a way better deal calorie-wise. I discovered it this year and it turned out great in gumbo (Shhhh! Don't tell the non-healthy eaters that enjoyed it!)
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No no no everybody! :)
    Tony Cachere's has instant roux mix! It comes in a yellow sprinkle can. They've also got an instant white gravy mix. You mix it with 2 parts water, no butter/oil. The can says it's 10 calories per teaspoon. This is a way better deal calorie-wise. I discovered it this year and it turned out great in gumbo (Shhhh! Don't tell the non-healthy eaters that enjoyed it!)

It this already creole flavored, though? I use a roux for bases in everything - I don't really like gumbo seasoning. Is it still good?
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    You can make a "dry" roux! Basically, the purpose of roux is to use as a thickener but you cook it off because you want the flour to not have a raw taste but a nice nutty taste. The darker the roux, the nuttier, richer the flavor. For a dry roux, you skip the oil and/or butter. You just toast your flour in a hot pan. It requires a lot of diligence to make sure you don't scorch it. It's still flour and I don't know of a way to get around that...but you can get all the flavor w/o the additional fat/calories from oil or butter. However, if you're wanting to eat cleanly but not necessarily concerned about fat/calories then by all means, coconut oil is a GREAT option. :-)
  • raylenebrooks
    Options
    I think next time I will try the dry roux I did corn starch it was ok not my best meal I have ever made lol oh but it came in at 251 calories so that wasnt bad.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can sautee the vegetables and then add a little flour before adding your liquid. I use that method when making gumbo, chicken and dumplings, etc. and it works just as well as a roux.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There's no seasoning... It's just roux. I love the stuff. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    you can use corn starch to thicken and don't use a bottom crust.