Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I read this 3 times, and I don't understand it at all. But, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong.

I don't understand what "net calories" means.

What I do, is lets say I get 1800 to eat. Then, I do 400 calories for my workout. I eat 2200 calories. That's it. Is that what you mean, or no?

If you eat 2200 and you exercise 400, then your net is 1800.

I know, but what does that mean? So, what? Is the suggestion was that your net should be what your goal is?

I mean, all net is is the amount I eat less exercise. So, really, all anyone is saying is to eat back your exercise cals? Or am I missing something. It seems like it is really easy and people confuse it and make it sound more complicated than it is, and I can't understand why they keep doing that.

If my goal is to eat 1800. And, I exercise and burn 400, than I should eat 2200? If I don't eat my 400 exercise cals, then if I eat 1800, my net will be 1400. It's just a weird twisted way to look at it and I cna't wrap my head around why people look at it that way.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I read this 3 times, and I don't understand it at all. But, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong.

What I do, is lets say I get 1800 to eat. Then, I do 400 calories for my workout. I eat 2200 calories. That's it. Is that what you mean, or no?

I know, but what does that mean? So, what? Is the suggestion was that your net should be what your goal is?

I mean, all net is is the amount I eat less exercise. So, really, all anyone is saying is to eat back your exercise cals? Or am I missing something. It seems like it is really easy and people confuse it and make it sound more complicated than it is, and I can't understand why they keep doing that.

If my goal is to eat 1800. And, I exercise and burn 400, than I should eat 2200? If I don't eat my 400 exercise cals, then if I eat 1800, my net will be 1400. It's just a weird twisted way to look at it and I cna't wrap my head around why people look at it that way.

Yup. Basically what this explains is net=goal. A lot of people struggle with the idea of eating their exercise calories and don't understand they just further and further increase the size of their deficit by not eating them back.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yup. Basically what this explains is net=goal. A lot of people struggle with the idea of eating their exercise calories and don't understand they just further and further increase the size of their deficit by not eating them back.

^^this
  • tdamaska
    tdamaska Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>

One major point you are missing here - the people on The BIggest Loser are morbidly obese, and they generally have enough fat stores to use muscle before fat. <snip>

I'm thinking you have a typo here. They would be using fat before muscle, yes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    <snip>

One major point you are missing here - the people on The BIggest Loser are morbidly obese, and they generally have enough fat stores to use muscle before fat. <snip>

Totally - thanks for picking that up - going back to correct it now

EDIT: Whoops - tried to edit and cannot.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Wow...this is interesting...so now I have a Question.

I tend to exercise late. Don't really want to eat late. Is it also important to eat those calories back that day? What about early the next day, maybe 10 to 12 hours after the exercise??? Any thoughts?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Totally - thanks for picking that up - going back to correct it now

EDIT: Whoops - tried to edit and cannot.

I hate when that happens!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I tend to exercise late. Don't really want to eat late. Is it also important to eat those calories back that day? What about early the next day, maybe 10 to 12 hours after the exercise??? Any thoughts?

If you are reasonably sure you will exercise, I'd just plan it in your diet for the day.
  • savoringharam
    savoringharam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That really cleared everything up!! :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tsimmsva
    tsimmsva Posts: 49
    Options
    Bump....thanks for the breaking it down for us...love the information!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options

If you are reasonably sure you will exercise, I'd just plan it in your diet for the day.

Good idea. That could make me go if I get the, I really don't feel like it feeling too! :embarassed: This could explain why I have stalled out a little in the last 2 weeks :grumble: . Really started to exercise but have not been eating those calories. I will now. Thanks! :smile:
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is important to understand that exercise calorie estimates are often too high and also that the idea that people can easily put themselves in "starvation mode" has been challenged. Food calorie information, even that provided by the companies, is often too low. Companies are permitted to underestimate the amount of calories by as much as 20%.

People should monitor their food consumption and their exercise and see what's working. If you automatically eat the amount of calories a program says you've "earned" you may be undermining your weight loss efforts.

Agree! I would say if you are hungry, eat back only a portion of your exercise calories (and be sure it is a combo of carb/protein) and be sure you are hydrated. If that doesn't work, then you still have a little room to work with. But let your hunger be your guide to determine the extent you need to eat back any of the calories.
  • shelly131975
    Options
    If you are strength training it is recomended that you get some sort of protein before and after your workout to fuel your body, also you will notice that your mfp carb, fat and protein go up when you enter your workout. Pay attention to your body it will tell you what you need.
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    lots of "myths" floating around in this thread...

if you want to know what's what go to alan aragorns page and he'll set you straight...

at the end of the day calories out > calories in you will lose weight...

having said that, everyone on a weight loss plan should also be involved in a weight resistance traning program which totally bunks the whole "OMG i'm burning all my muscle and no fat" myth... and you should be making sure you are getting ample protien in your diet from multiple sources...
  • ckneasel
    Options
    I don't quite understand this... I always thought you needed to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. If you were to eat up all the calories you burned from exercise combined with your bmr... wouldn't you be maintaining?

yes... but i think they are saying that MFP automatically calculates the number that you should be taking in to meet whatever weight loss goal you have set in MFP...

so if you exercise and record those calories (most times over estimated by ALOT), you could "ideally" consume those calories and still meet those weight loss goals you wanted...

what people tend to forget is that everyone is different and while the scale may not say you lost any weight this week, it could "simply" be (not really all that simple) a matter of water... you could have burned a pound of fat that week, but the fat was replaced by water and maybe next week, that water is released by the fat cells and you magically lost 4 pounds the next week, when your deficiet wasn't that low to warrant that big a loss...
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you!:happy:
  • ckneasel
    Options
    If you are losing inches but not pounds then you are losing fat cells. You are reshaping your body. Adding more muscle to a certain area and such. Keep it up. How clothes fit is more important than the number on a scale.

i'd just like to point out that you never "lose fat cells" they simply shrink when fat is not being stored in them... and you are NOT adding muscle on a caloric deficiet either...

although i do agree with you that how your clothes are fitting and how you look in the mirror are great indicators of progress...
  • Ohsilentheart
    Ohsilentheart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump!!