less calories=less weight loss?

Options
I've always thought that less calories meant MORE weight loss. But, when I finished my day today it said that I wasn't eating enough calories and that would equal less weight loss? Is this really true?? If so what do I do? Eating more puts me in the mind frame of putting on more weight or not losing any?

Replies

• jewely82
    jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is a minimum amount of calories that you need for basic body functioning. If the system is telling you that the calories you are eating are not enough then it means that you are in danger of sending your body into starvation mode. When this happens your body will hold onto every little thing you give it and store it.

Give your body the fuel it needs and you will help your metabolism work better. You most likely don't need to eat much more. Just an extra glass of milk and a piece of fruit might do the trick (depending on how under 1,200 calories you are).
  • erspamer
    Options
    Not that I noticed from my habits over the past 5 years after having my kid. I am by no means in a healthy calorie range, but the more I eat the fatter I get. This includes working out 3-5 times a week.So I would say no to that idea but i am no nutritionist. I lost the 62 pounds in 5 years, but most of it happened the last two years from tons of cardio and low calories. I am not a good example though so you should ask someone more educated. Good luck to you!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's also dependent on how much weight a person has to lose. A more obese person can manage higher calorie deficits for longer periods of time b/c he/she is using their body fat as fuel.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode as it's expressed here is largely a myth.

If you maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You can't gain weight by lowering your calories. You can't stop your weight loss either -- IF you keep your calorie expenditure the same. (More on that later.)

Now, there are a few things that happen when you eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its weight. First, your body makes more ghrelin, which makes you hungrier. Second, your body will lower your metabolism a bit. This happens even to people who are losing only 1 lb. a week, btw. It's an inevitable side-effect of dieting. However, the larger your calorie deficit and the longer you maintain that deficit, the more your metabolism slows down.

In a famous study on starvation, the subjects ate a starvation diet for months. At the point where their body fat got to around 5-6%, their metabolism had slowed down as much as 40%. However, THEY STILL LOST WEIGHT. They were miserable and on death's door, but they were still losing weight.

OTOH, if your metabolism slows down a lot, you are getting diminishing returns.

Let's say you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day. You'll probably lose a pound a week. If you have a calorie deficit of 1000 calories a day, you might lose 2 lb. a week. But your metabolism might slow down enough that you only lose 1.75 lb. a week. Okay, that's still not bad. But what if you have a calorie deficit of 1500 calories a day? You definitely will not lose 3 lb. a week. You might lose 2-2.25. Well, gee, that's hardly worth it, is it? It's a lot of pain (and health risk), for not much gain.

Of course, the other side of the equation is exercise. If you increase your exercise, it will counteract the slowdown in your metabolism. But what happens to a lot of people when they lower their calories significantly is that they also decrease their activity. Their body sends them "you're so tired" messages and they sleep more, take naps, don't move around as much.

The combination of a lower metabolism and less activity means they no longer are maintaining a calorie deficit. THEN the weight loss stops.

It can be a fine line for some people, too. I found that at times, increasing my calories by a mere 100 a day was enough for me to maintain my energy level. (I also ate a lot of protein and that helped too.) So I don't think it was a fine line for me. :laugh: But everyone is different.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    kali, I checked out your profile really quick and I think I see where the problem might be. You're only fifteen? Your metabolism is off the charts right now, so you definitely need to be giving it more fuel for you growing body---yes it's still growing! I'm 20, going on 21, and my body is still changing too! You said in your profile you would like to fit into your "old clothes"...from when? Age 12? When you were pre-pubescent?:laugh: lol I'm sure if you have *any* weight to lose, it will come off quickly if you focus on eating healthy foods and being active. Make sure you're getting at least 1200 cal a day to nourish that activity as well as your natural body growth and you will be in great shape. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    kali, I checked out your profile really quick and I think I see where the problem might be. You're only fifteen? Your metabolism is off the charts right now, so you definitely need to be giving it more fuel for you growing body---yes it's still growing! I'm 20, going on 21, and my body is still changing too! You said in your profile you would like to fit into your "old clothes"...from when? Age 12? When you were pre-pubescent?:laugh: lol I'm sure if you have *any* weight to lose, it will come off quickly if you focus on eating healthy foods and being active. Make sure you're getting at least 1200 cal a day to nourish that activity as well as your natural body growth and you will be in great shape. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I agree. At 15 years old is it so important that you get good proper nutrition; unless you are currently obese you should not even consider a low calorie diet. Also, please learn from the mistakes of many of us on this site: don't get caught in the diet cycle and damage your metabolism. Learn to eat right and to love and take care of your body now. Focus on your health and fitness. If you honestly believe that you need to lose weight talk to your doctor and see what s/he says. I would recommend seeing a dietician who can provide a food plan built especially for your needs. I'm ntot at all sure that the advice offered on this site would be appropriate for someone who is still growing and developing.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As you get older your metabolism (the rate at which you burn calories) will naturally slow down -- don't help it along! :smile:

Also, if you don't consume enough calories it can make a person tired and sluggish. I know when I was in high school I would be starving by 4th period (math class) and would basically put my head down and try to not pass out. Needless to say, I did not do very well in math!! What I didn't know at that time was that because I was incredibly active (20 hours of dance per week) I needed many more calories than what I was consuming. Learn from my mistakes and try to keep healthy snacks in your locker so you can avoid the vending machines and junk food in the cafeteria. It will make school easier, and it will keep your metabolism chugging along.

Best of luck to you!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great way to explain it

"if your metabolism slows down a lot, you are getting diminishing returns."

But I am a math geek :happy:

My opinon is I would rather eat and feel healthy and stong and still lose fat than reduce my intake lose weight (not necessarily all fat) , feel like crap and become weak. That being said I do think it takes some trail and error to find that sweet spot that can vary from person to person.:smile:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above.