Protein????

Options
2»

Replies

• firefly13
    Options

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I consume large amounts of red meat, stay away from grains, beans, lentils and other legumes, eat animal fat and my blood work speaks for itself.

Mainstream medicine in the last 40 years is wrong and they are eating their words now as the obesity rate and diabetes epidemic is skyrocketing out of control now days due to what they have told us for the past 40 years.

I have taken my own health into my own hands and I am getting healthier and healthier every day.

Different strokes for different folks, for sure. I cut out meat from my diet and my migraine frequency went down like crazy and my blood work has been healthy for the past 3 veg years. There are some super healthy vegetarians/vegans and people of all diets, so it's definitely not a universal rule. We all have different genes :-)
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    It's ok to go over on your protein, especially by only 20g or so. Someone said that they heard that excess protein will be stored as fat, yeah, true, but so will EVERYTHING else that you eat. People on muscle building eat 1g of protein for every pound of body weight, so unless you are exceeding that I wouldn't even begin to worry about it.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure this is true but I've read that the body stores extra protein as fat. I know you need extra protein to recuperate after a workout, but once you enter your exercise on MFP your recommended protein for that day (as well as carbs, fat, and calories) increases, so I'm assuming that extra is how much you need to rebuild muscle, and maybe if you go beyond even this it will be stored as fat?

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.

Also, the process of gluconeogenesis is why we as human truly do NOT need carbohydrates, just as our cave man ancestors didn't need carbs either. We have not evolved into something different.

But the cave man only lived an average life span of 16 years :( They were very nutrient deficient I would think. They were also in dyer need of penicillin to I am sure from the open cuts and lacerations they received from hunting with their bare hands :laugh:

Actually in a protein based eating plan, the body gets all of the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) that it needs because of how protein is broken down in the body.

Humans do not need carbs in the form of grains, especially. The most we need is some plant matter.

I have been doing extensive research and reading that breaks it down to the cellular and chemical level in the body.

I don't know of any medically based studies by reputable entities to back up what you are saying. Normally, healthy adults who are regularly physically active should consume 55% - 65% carbohydrates. If you are worried about blood sugars then focus on complex carbohydrates like whole grains. Some of the primary functions of carbs, other than a major source of energy (which by the way fuels a better workout for better results), provides dietary fibers (Intestinal track bacteria build up is not pretty), helps the body use fat more efficiently (you heard me correctly carbs helps the body use up FAT more efficiently), carbs ensure brain and nervous system health (if that gos you die).

I would bet that the cave men you speak of regularly died of severe nutrient deficiencies, a rotting brain, weak nerve impulses, intestinal problems etc...

The enemy is not carbs, the enemy is TOO MUCH simple carbs. Americans eat only about 45% carbs, which is not enough, and of that it's mostly simple sugars which explains our ever growing guts. Add to that, in sufficient carbs will contribute to a continuous deteriorating exercise performance which equates to less fat loss and over all health enhancements. These finds can be found in various american college of sports medicine and american council on exercise publications.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure this is true but I've read that the body stores extra protein as fat. I know you need extra protein to recuperate after a workout, but once you enter your exercise on MFP your recommended protein for that day (as well as carbs, fat, and calories) increases, so I'm assuming that extra is how much you need to rebuild muscle, and maybe if you go beyond even this it will be stored as fat?

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.

Also, the process of gluconeogenesis is why we as human truly do NOT need carbohydrates, just as our cave man ancestors didn't need carbs either. We have not evolved into something different.

But the cave man only lived an average life span of 16 years :( They were very nutrient deficient I would think. They were also in dyer need of penicillin to I am sure from the open cuts and lacerations they received from hunting with their bare hands :laugh:

Actually in a protein based eating plan, the body gets all of the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) that it needs because of how protein is broken down in the body.

Humans do not need carbs in the form of grains, especially. The most we need is some plant matter.

I have been doing extensive research and reading that breaks it down to the cellular and chemical level in the body.

I don't know of any medically based studies by reputable entities to back up what you are saying. Normally, healthy adults who are regularly physically active should consume 55% - 65% carbohydrates. If you are worried about blood sugars then focus on complex carbohydrates like whole grains. Some of the primary functions of carbs, other than a major source of energy (which by the way fuels a better workout for better results), provides dietary fibers (Intestinal track bacteria build up is not pretty), helps the body use fat more efficiently (you heard me correctly carbs helps the body use up FAT more efficiently), carbs ensure brain and nervous system health (if that gos you die).

I would bet that the cave men you speak of regularly died of severe nutrient deficiencies, a rotting brain, weak nerve impulses, intestinal problems etc...

The enemy is not carbs, the enemy is TOO MUCH simple carbs. Americans eat only about 45% carbs, which is not enough, and of that it's mostly simple sugars which explains our ever growing guts. Add to that, in sufficient carbs will contribute to a continuous deteriorating exercise performance which equates to less fat loss and over all health enhancements. These finds can be found in various american college of sports medicine and american council on exercise publications.

I know it is incorrect that I need grains. I eat grains, I swell up and gain weight, blood sugar all out of whack. The only 2 grains I can eat with no issues is oats and quinoa.

I will PM you the medical studies and I will also send websites. We don't need carbs, as when there is adequate fat and protein, those 2 items are broken down into glycogen through an alternative way.

I have not eaten simple carbs in 6 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Most fruit, grains, beans, lentils (unless they are sprouted or fermented) cause me to gain excessive weight, joints hurt, blood sugar way out of whack and back on meds.

I am proof initself and there are many, many others that are living proof. I can exercise with lots of energy - no problem for me. I don't get the exercise I need a lot of times because of work and home committments. I need to start scheduling time for myself in that area.

I would like to see some medical studies where they say that carbs help to burn fat more efficiently. Because when carbs are being burnt, guess what, fat is NOT being burned.

The body burns:
    1. Alcohol first if present in the blood stream
    2. Carbs
    3. Fat

So, in the case of a low carb eating plan, your are forcing your body to burn fat because there are limited carbs there.

This is the book I am reading:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Here are some links about glyconeogenesis:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/gluconeogenesis.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-867-LowCarb-Lifestyle-Examiner~y2009m5d18-If-you-believe-your-body-needs-carbs-then-its-time-for-you-to-learn-about-gluconeogenesis
  • metalpalace
    Options

I know it is incorrect that I need grains. I eat grains, I swell up and gain weight, blood sugar all out of whack. The only 2 grains I can eat with no issues is oats and quinoa.

I will PM you the medical studies and I will also send websites. We don't need carbs, as when there is adequate fat and protein, those 2 items are broken down into glycogen through an alternative way.

I have not eaten simple carbs in 6 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Most fruit, grains, beans, lentils (unless they are sprouted or fermented) cause me to gain excessive weight, joints hurt, blood sugar way out of whack and back on meds.

I am proof initself and there are many, many others that are living proof. I can exercise with lots of energy - no problem for me. I don't get the exercise I need a lot of times because of work and home committments. I need to start scheduling time for myself in that area.

I would like to see some medical studies where they say that carbs help to burn fat more efficiently. Because when carbs are being burnt, guess what, fat is NOT being burned.

The body burns:
    1. Alcohol first if present in the blood stream
    2. Carbs
    3. Fat

So, in the case of a low carb eating plan, your are forcing your body to burn fat because there are limited carbs there.

This is the book I am reading:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Here are some links about glyconeogenesis:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/gluconeogenesis.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-867-LowCarb-Lifestyle-Examiner~y2009m5d18-If-you-believe-your-body-needs-carbs-then-its-time-for-you-to-learn-about-gluconeogenesis

You're among a special population of adults that requires something different in nutrition than the rest of us. For most people, your diet is not safe. Just as my current diet wouldnt work for someone with high blood pressure and weight loss goals. My diet certainly wouldnt be safe for someone with high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
  • Eryn47
    Eryn47 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks to all that took the time to help me out on this!!!!! I think I might be more confused than ever, lol!!!!:laugh: J/K!
    I love this site!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    You're among a special population of adults that requires something different in nutrition than the rest of us. For most people, your diet is not safe. Just as my current diet wouldnt work for someone with high blood pressure and weight loss goals. My diet certainly wouldnt be safe for someone with high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Actually you are incorrect in stating that the way I eat is not safe for anyone. It is safe for anyone, 100% healthy or not.
  • ejec
    ejec Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too. I tried South Beach a few years ago and was miserable. I did lose some weight but gained it back quickly after I stopped the diet. One important thing I took from that diet was how important complex carbs were versus simple carbs. Here's a link that explains some of the benefits of whole grains.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/index.html
  • metalpalace
    Options

Actually you are incorrect in stating that the way I eat is not safe for anyone. It is safe for anyone, 100% healthy or not.

I noticed your current picture of the old government sponsored food paradigm they use to tell us to base our diet off of. Thank fully the government abandoned that terrible paradigm as a recommended nutrition guide and now have the mypyramid.gov which is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the old paradigm which is no longer used.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I noticed your current picture of the old government sponsored food paradigm they use to tell us to base our diet off of. Thank fully the government abandoned that terrible paradigm as a recommended nutrition guide and now have the mypyramid.gov which is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the old paradigm which is no longer used.

Nope, this is not the old government food pyramid. This is the Primal Blue Print food pyramid. You notice there are NO grains listed in any of the groupings............The government pushes grains, so definitely not the one I am endorsing.

The government sponsored food pyramid is and has always been a joke. I am glad that I opened my eyes to see that the government does not have our best interest at heart. Neither does the ADA or the AHA.

Picture3.png

Grains will never touch my lips again as long as I am able to control it.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow! I feel like every thread gets hijacked by the carb/no carb debate. I think everybody's body and lifestyle is different and they need different things. I would not be able to run 14k on my long run days without carbohydrates...end of...I don't think anyone could.
    I am not a vegetarian, I love to eat fish and meat...but I also work on a stroke team...and there aren't too many veggies being wheeled onto my unit...in fact, I haven't seen any. Take that in whichever way you will.
    This is my opinion, not backed by a whole lot of internet-quoted articles...It is the way I live my life and it is working for me. I'm sure other people live their lives differently. I think that's great. I love to read how other people are doing it...but I'm not going to tell others that its my way or the highway.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Wow! I feel like every thread gets hijacked by the carb/no carb debate. I think everybody's body and lifestyle is different and they need different things. I would not be able to run 14k on my long run days without carbohydrates...end of...I don't think anyone could.
    I am not a vegetarian, I love to eat fish and meat...but I also work on a stroke team...and there aren't too many veggies being wheeled onto my unit...in fact, I haven't seen any. Take that in whichever way you will.
    This is my opinion, not backed by a whole lot of internet-quoted articles...It is the way I live my life and it is working for me. I'm sure other people live their lives differently. I think that's great. I love to read how other people are doing it...but I'm not going to tell others that its my way or the highway.

I know people that run marathons and live a low carb lifestyle. You can do as much endurance stuff without carbs.

It is a mindset about needing carbs. I don't only have internet quoted articles either. I can start quoting pages of books that very few people on this site probably have.

It didn't start out as a no carb / low carb debate, it was taken there by another member. Also, an alternative view point should be pointed out as many people in this country have been brainwashed since the 1950's and 60's and that same mindset still continues today.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ...and let the vitriol begin...
    did you read what I wrote...I said that for some people and some lifestyles low carb works..for others it does not....
  • metalpalace
    Options
    From a distance as a thumbnail it looked like the old abandoned paradigm. Thanks for posting the full size. Very cool! I noticed fruit is sharing the bottom with veggies. I assume that means a good chunk of your diet is carbs in the form of fruit? It looks like if you follow this paradigm then you are largely swapping out whole grains for fruits to get your carb requirement. At first glance I really don't see a deficiency even as a comparison between that and the new my pyramid.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    From a distance as a thumbnail it looked like the old abandoned paradigm. Thanks for posting the full size. Very cool! I noticed fruit is sharing the bottom with veggies. I assume that means a good chunk of your diet is carbs in the form of fruit? It looks like if you follow this paradigm then you are largely swapping out whole grains for fruits to get your carb requirement. At first glance I really don't see a deficiency even as a comparison between that and the new my pyramid.

No, I have limited fruit intake due to having yeast issues and diabetes. I do eat a lot of berries and melons and grapefruit. Those are my favorites. Also, kiwi.

I mix some fruit in with my green shakes that contain spinach, brocolli, celery, cauliflower, a carrot, collards, kale, whatever veggies I have.

My main staples are veggies and protein and fats.