What’s surprised you about your weight loss journey so far

Options

Replies

• hermiony
    hermiony Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    im suprised by how easy it actually was to lose weight.
    when people ask me how i did it i think its a silly question because the answer is so simple. eat right and exercise!
    and im suprised im enjoying everything about getting fit!
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    For me it has been that I was able to lose almost 50lbs. by diet and weightlifting alone.....zero cardio
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is it was kinda easy once you start excercising and eating right, thatis a bit surprising. Why I said

"8. TDEE, BMR,BMI, HRM all mean very little to me. "

I don't pay attention to that never have never will. Some people swear by it. I'm not saying it's wrong but some people obessess over it. I had not even heard of most of it until I started coming here and readings posts.
    I had already lost 58 lbs before I joined MFP without ever knowing what any of that meant, I'll keep it that way. SO yeah I can say I was suprised to see all these mathematical equations for losing weight.

im suprised by how easy it actually was to lose weight.
    when people ask me how i did it i think its a silly question because the answer is so simple. eat right and exercise!
    and im suprised im enjoying everything about getting fit!
  • watboy
    Options
    Lol sorry i'm naturally sarcastic. I'm really a kitten.
    thanks for the optimism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The more I train my body to run, the farther I can run. I'm running farther and harder now than when I started, and it's not wearing me down near as much!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    That nothing's changed.

^ was referring to this with the optimism LOL

my posts were probably way more negative than positive on page one :-/
  • MisFitMom219
    MisFitMom219 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That eating more & exercising is wayyyyyy more beneficial than eating less!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Great list Yoovie! I can totally relate... especially to #17.

I think the biggest surprise for me along this journey is that I have become athletic. I was never a person who played or participated in sports in grade school or high school. So to become a runner who regularly runs in 1/2 marathons still amazes me!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    - I have learned that even at 60+ pounds overweight, I can still be an athlete. Just because I am not a "pro", Im not fast, or Im not a "normal" size, I can certainly sweat just as hard as the rest of them, and LIKE it!

- The mind means everything. Your heart will tell you what you want, but your head is what will make it happen.

- Eating more to lose. Getting out of the mental roadblock that says you have to starve yourself to lose weight.

- Loving myself again. Loving my journey, no matter how slow.

- That even though I am still overweight and doing my journey, that I can inspire others to lead a better life, and change their ways too
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    What's surprised me so far is how many people started off with me, and how few of them are still with it. Girl Scout cookies broke everyone else in my college program.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm surprised by how much I sweat when I exercise.
  • Carrotz5
    Carrotz5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! I also love the lists... I can relate to many of the items.

A few things have surprised me since I started my weight-loss journey:
    1) I was not expecting the confidence I would gain from losing weight and having a stronger body. I am with Yoovie and I look forward to opportunities to show off my new smaller, stronger body.
    2) I was not expecting anybody to join me on this journey. I have found that I have inspired the people around me. A coworker has lost 10 lbs (well part of his inspiration can be credited to another friend of his as well). I have also inspired several people to start running. I have a handful of friends who are running races with me this spring!
    3) That I would actually get sick of the phrases "You are too skinny!" "You need to stop losing weight!"
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That I can do it. It has always seemed so impossible, but now I know that I am capable of changing my lifestyle and changing my body.

Same for me. I am so very proud of myself. :flowerforyou:
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    That I can do it is it for me as well! I can't believe that at one time I thought surgery was the only way
  • K1mmer
    K1mmer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Keeps me going!
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this thread because I am @ the beginning of my weight loss journey. I'm 20lbs down from the 100 I need to lose.

Just losing 20lbs has done alot for me. I have noticed in the last week that I am trying to sabotage myself! I dont understand why my motivation is waning? My hubby is very supportive and it's MY TIME to do this. My boys are grown, one soon to be married and in the air force and my youngest off to college this coming fall.

I've realize that I have an actual addiction to food. This has been very humbling and emotional for me to work through. I am trying to figure out where to start exercising and how. I know that may sound weird but I've been overweight for over 20 yrs and working out hasnt been in my vocabulary.

I guess @ this point I am just really confused.

-Mar
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    That I'm eating 1800+ calories a day now and lifting heavy. I started with the typical 1200 calories and cardio/light strength training. I had no idea that 4 months later I'd be doing mostly heavy lifting.

ETA: I also wish I'd known about lifting heavy years ago. I spent most of my adult life at a healthy weight but thinking I needed to lose 10lbs. I'm finally seeing the results I always wanted to see.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    That you can truly eat too little and it will cause your weight loss to stall out. Was eating only 1200 a day for months and now that i'm eating 1500 the weight is coming off. Hard to wrap my brain around :)

Same here. I found out I was eating 200 calories less than I was supposed to. -24lbs later... :-)
  • watboy
    Options
    Oh lol okay cool I didn't want to hijack Ops thread with negative stuff lol.
    That nothing's changed.

^ was referring to this with the optimism LOL

my posts were probably way more negative than positive on page one :-/
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What surpised me was the day I "ran" up a flight of stairs without panting at the top (up to my room on the second floor). I hadn't realized how out of shape I had been when I started my weight loss journey.

Also, that it got my family and I talking about healthy versus not-so-healthy "treat" foods. My son sees that you should eat healthy most of the time, and that it's OK to have a treat sometimes.

And how excited and bummed I was to buy a new wardrobe a second time - for my final size 8's!