Early Morning Exerciser Looking for a Pre-Workout Nibble

Options
I have to get up at 5am to fit in a workout and I know it's not recommended to workout on an empty stomach. Normally, I grab 15 almonds but that's getting a little repeatitious. Suggestions? Shakes?

Thanks!

Replies

• CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I am curious too! :)
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A banana, glass of chocolate milk, or a piece of string cheese?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Power Bar or half a bagel with peanut butter is what I usually eat before an early morning workout.
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I workout VERY early and don't like to get up earlier than I have to in order to digest a snack. I usually go for 1/2 serving of a protien shake, 1/2 banana or 1/2 small granola bar for a few carbs and some water. That is usually enough to get through an hour or so.
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    I'm not a shake fan, but an apple (or applesauce) and a string cheese get me through an early workout. Good Luck :smile:
  • jacmjone
    jacmjone Posts: 2
    Options
    I drink the Gatorade carb pre-workout packet. Then I follow up with the Gatorade recovery drink that has tons of protein in it. It works fine for me.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I for one love to work out on an empty stomach... I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I tried a Larabar the other day before a run and felt sick, sick, sick. I seem to do well with peanut butter on toast and some water.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bananas...
  • sarah6308
    Options
    I love yogurt before my early morning workouts. Throw in a few berries or some flax seed if you need something more to keep you going.
  • josettenehmelman
    josettenehmelman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Water, piece of fruit and light string cheese
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    grapefruit for me
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Green smoothie, or a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A banana and cup of coffee work for me. Emphasis on cup of coffee...
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    I have half a piece of toast with almond butter.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Really it depends on your body, when I have to wake up really early for Summer or Spring training I would sometimes have a bottle of Ensure on my way to the bus (I can't drive) it's not too heavy on my stomach, I generally burn off most of the calories in the can, it's got the protein I need and it sustains me until after my workout, I tend to call this the 'first half' of my breakfast. The second half would be a banana or something easily put in a backpack until I can get back home, and then a light, healthy snack to top things off.

Depends on your body really, each person's stomach is different. The important thing is to ahve protein, if not before then after and to have at least a little something to eat to help fuel your body
  • Alexc2012
    Alexc2012 Posts: 20
    Options
    Try having a slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter. This is a good pre-workout snack that I like having when I'm hungry before a long run.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A giant triple shot soy latte. Protein with a Punch. :drinker:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Banana!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I would absolutely choose a carb over a fat for early morning pre workout. Or for any pre workout for that matter, however it may not be relevant if you're waking up at 5 and basically going directly to the gym. Once you eat something it'll take roughly 2 hours for it to be processed through the body and be available to be used for energy.