Cheat Days

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I wanted a consensus on everybody's thoughts on cheat days. Do you think it helps with weight loss or is detrimental?

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    helps, every once in a while you have to have a day where you don't track. i mean like, a couple times a month but that's about it.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    There is honestly no truth behind "kickstarting" your metabolism with a cheat day or things along that line. It is true that dieting slows your metabolism but one day of binge eating will not do anything long term to effect it whatsoever. To be honest maybe have one small meal where you eat outside your diet once a week. But ONLY if you stayed on your diet all week that way it serves as an incentive to stay with it through the week.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cheat meals (spike meals) a week and have from the very beginning. It keeps me honest the rest of the time and gives me something to look forward too...
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think it's more psychological. I don't do them, personally. If I go over every once in a great while, it's not a big deal for me. I exercise a lot, and am so careful the rest of the time. If I want a slice of pizza or a burger from In N Out (after Easter, as I gave up red meat for Lent), then I have it. If that means I have to workout extra, then so be it.

My friend just got back from France and brought my back my biggest European weakness (other than chocolate, she didn't bring any back for me)- a certain kind of cookie that I know I can plow through in record time. So I'm staying away from them, but I will be getting some brownies in today for good behavior. :wink:
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    I have read / heard many different opinions on this topic. Personally, I feel GUILTY when I cheat at all. Hell, I feel guilty when I have a Skinny Cow for dessert when I have done well! LOL! I don't think you should ever have an entire day where you cheat. This shouldn't be just a diet part of your life....it should be a whole life change, for the better. I feel there is nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with a dessert or even a trip to your favorite fast food joint as long as moderation, portion control, & good choices are a part of your 'cheat'. That way, you can still feel good about your reward. Again, this is a personal opinion and I am new to this game too!!! I always feel better when I eat better & exercise daily. :)
  • MPwife10
    MPwife10 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have one every week and it helps me not cheat the rest of the week.
  • mrs_french
    mrs_french Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i think cheat days are more of a mental aspect for me! but, i have to be careful because i'm such a social/emotional eater that i can make any occasion/reason/friend/event/food to make me want to cheat.
  • long09
    long09 Posts: 5
    Options
    I struggle with this one...I think that I want a cheat day, but then I end up feeling guilty. I am proud of how far I have come, that I almost don't want to ruin it by doing a cheat day. I do allow myself to indulge in a favorite treat every once in awhile, but always remember moderation. I always ask my self "is it worth it?" or "am I going to regret my choice?".
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    cheat days are OK as long as you don;t go nutso.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sure, it helps. Like going the wrong way down a track helps you win the race. :noway:
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cheating is a sin..... also, you could catch something from it and your doodle will fall off.... just sayin'
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Typically, I have a cheat day once a week and will continue to do so. It keeps me on track for the rest of week and makes me feel like I am not depriving myself of anything. I don't go crazy, but I do enjoy foods I wouldn't normally allow myself to have.
    It gives me something to look forward to.
    198601 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my cheat day - not with food, but with allowing myself to have a cocktail (or two or three). I just make sure that I hit the gym in the morning... as I am on the elliptical I keep thinking "that's one more" every 100 calories I burn!! LOL.
  • gafrausto
    gafrausto Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've used cheat days for years, but simply to maintain some sanity by letting loose. It helps me look forward to certain foods that I don't normally have--a treat--but wouldn't recommend more than once a week. Just my 2 cents.
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    A cheat meal or two a week works for me... I still try to make good choices like drinking a glass of water before, still making a healthy choice if I'm going out to eat and not gorging myself. Even cheats need moderation!
  • jegg0425
    jegg0425 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have begun making the lifestyle change over the last month. Still pretty early on so I am trying to steer clear of designated cheat days. I just figure that there are times when I will be out with friends or a special event where eating healthy is a struggle. For example I helped a friend move this past weekend and she ordered pizza. So I guess that was my cheat meal; however I don't "plan" them out. My birthday is coming up and I am sure that I won't behave myself that night either.

One thing I've noticed is over the last month I haven't had the indigestion I used to. I haven't had to use Tums before bed since. It used to be a nightly requiremend because of acid reflux. I enjoy not feeling like crap and I worry that a fast food meal (extra greasy) will actually make me sick.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think it would be more of a mental/ sanity thing for some people. If having a cheat day gives you incentive, or something to look forward to, then do it, its better to have one unhealthy day among a lifestyle of healthy days than to just have an unhealthy lifestyle!
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. In the long run it totally killed me.

Put the foods you want into your daily plan. No foods are bad, just stay within your calorie limit. Don't make food a treat/cheat that you get to reward yourself with for doing a good job. Learn how to eat it all in moderation.
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    "Cheat" and "guilt" are words I try not to associate with food. There is a place in my diet for anything I might want, so if I want to have three slices of pizza for dinner one night, I just track the calories and move on. I'm down about 100 pounds, so it's working well for me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in setting myself up with something that is so hard to sustain that I have to "cheat" on myself, it seems counterproductive to me.

Some days I eat more calories than MFP recommends, sometimes I eat pretty close to that number, sometimes I eat less. Which one is "cheating"?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!