I'm ready to give up.

Options
I've reached a second plateau. I wanted to lose 27 pounds from January 2012, to June 2012 and I've only lost 13. I don't know what else to do. I'm doing everything correctly and am not seeing even a small result.

Replies

• LDunzweiler
    Options
    First of all.....DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! It WILL happen for you! When this has happened to me in the past while dieting, I have seen changes when I shake things up a bit in my exercise routine. If all you do is walk, add some aerobics. If all you do is aerobic dance, try some Yoga.....stuff like that. I went from Yoga to Zumba and saw a difference. I still do Yoga, but I swap days around to keep my body guessing so to speak.

I certainly don't know a sure fire way to help when it comes to a plateau, but maybe if you try something new, it may help some. Don't give up though......YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Well for starters what steps have you taken to break this plateau so far?
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    You are halfway to June and halfway to your goal. I'm not seeing the problem.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    I agree with LDunz, changing your exercise might be just enough of a change to "trick" your body.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    13 pounds isn't nothing. And you still have 3 months until your goal.

Have you tried upping or lowering your calories, different workouts, etc.?
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Dont give up...13lbs isnt a small result, its big. stick with it, you got this
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well I noticed that maybe I wasn't eating enough so I upped my calorie intake and instead of doing an hour on the elliptical I do half an hour on that, 20 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of rowing for my arms and back. NOTHING IS WORKING. I'm doomed to stay fat and flabby. I really wanted to lose this weight before June 1st which is when I move to Italy to live with my husband. I wanted him to have a new me, but this just isn't working. I'm tired of putting in so much work when I'm not getting anything out of it.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Don't give up that's not the answer to a plateu.

Make sure you eating enough.
    Always change up your routine every 6 weeks and or intensity.
    Be patient.

You got a commmunity of support don't throw it away on something everyone experiences :) We are here for you!
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    open your diet.. and get your self on a strength training program.. that "flabby" your talk about .. its much easier to deal with when you have some muscle mass .
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Okay, this might sound strange but try adding in some yoga in addition to your regular workouts. I know it's sounds odd but whenever I do yoga several times a week (for 30-60 min) I lose weight. Maybe not a lot but I do. For me, I think it helps get rid of the stress. Give it a try-what have you got to lose?:flowerforyou:
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    you're half-way there with time to spare.
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    Don't overthink it... Stress can add to the weight loss factor!

Have you tried to up your water intake, or do a little weight lifting with the cardio? Adding muscle might not change your weight but it will transform your body. Chin up and good luck!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Up your intensity, try intervals.
  • BABGURL
    BABGURL Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with the other reply DONT GIVE UP!! If you feel you're not seeing any difference, like they said switch things up to constantly keep your body guessing. Zumba is definitely something you can add to your current routine. Its fun and is a great workout.
    No matter what DO NOT GIVE UP!! Keep moving and stay focused on your goal. You will achieve it!!
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Then give up. Feel the misery of being down when you could just go on and find a solution instead. It makes me laugh to think about it. I've had 10 years of constant plateau and never even reached in my mind to give up. I was frustrated of course, but I never stopped looking for a solution.
  • MimosaMay
    Options
    Well I noticed that maybe I wasn't eating enough so I upped my calorie intake and instead of doing an hour on the elliptical I do half an hour on that, 20 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of rowing for my arms and back. NOTHING IS WORKING. I'm doomed to stay fat and flabby. I really wanted to lose this weight before June 1st which is when I move to Italy to live with my husband. I wanted him to have a new me, but this just isn't working. I'm tired of putting in so much work when I'm not getting anything out of it.

You are doing a great job at mixing up your cardio - what are you doing for strength training? A lot of people neglect strength training when they are trying to lose weight and only do cardio. Major mistake!! If you are afraid of putting on muscle mass, don't worry! Increasing your strength and strength training will help your body to burn more calories (even while you aren't doing anything at all!).

Try mixing up your workouts with some light interval training including some free weights, some squats and lunges with free weights maybe. Start out small if you don't feel comfortable with it, but it sounds like you are missing out on a potential HUGE WIN for your weight loss efforts. This will also TONE your body, which will help with your physique. It's not all about what Mr. Scale says... if Mr. Scale says you are "X" lbs. and you feel confident and sexy with your physique... then who cares what Mr. Scale says, right?

Try thinking more about your body fat % and less about a magical number that you want to get to. This has been very helpful for me!

Keep up the amazing work and when you feel down -- reach out to fellow fitness buddies, we're all out here to cheer you on! <3

-MimosaMay
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So many things are about perspective! :) I've only lost 11 since January and I'm not at all discouraged. 90 days is about 13 weeks. You are losing a pound a week. If you keep going, assuming you will slow a little, you will be at goal by July. If you give up, July will be here anyway but you won't be at goal. Keep going. You can do it.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You are halfway to June and halfway to your goal. I'm not seeing the problem.
    my sentiment exactly!!!

and I do agree that if you feel you have really plateau'd - change things up. "Shock" your metabolism by chainging your exercise routine and/or eating habits. Eat small meals 6 times a day...whatever it takes, just don't give up!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I hit 2 plateaus last summer and then again in the fall. They lasted about a month. Each time, I broke them by eating higher calories for a couple of days in a row. 200 - 300 more than MFP suggests. Worked like a charm. Sometimes you just gotta shake it up!
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've always just dome cardio. I honestly don't even know what to do i the weight room. All the machines confuse me.