Carbs, Fat & Protein in what combination?

Options
I am not losing much, but I do stick to my daily intake and eat my exercise call.
Could that reason be that I don't eat the right amount of Carbs,Fat,Protein in every meal
Most of the protein I eat at night .
Is it about the total amount you eat a day or how you eat them?
Any advice

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am not losing much, but I do stick to my daily intake and eat my exercise call.
    Could that reason be that I don't eat the right amount of Carbs,Fat,Protein in every meal
    Most of the protein I eat at night .
    Is it about the total amount you eat a day or how you eat them?
    Any advice

I eat most of my protein at supper, and it hasn't hurt with my weight loss any! :happy:
    I just watch my daily numbers and try to get as close as I can to them without going over. Well, other than protein, since MFP goes too low with their allowance! :smile:
  • chickalistic
    chickalistic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still fairly new to this, but have noticed that the protein is what I have gone over or close to over on. I panic when I still have tons of calories left, but not much left on protein. Is it something I shouldn't worry about going a little over on?
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm continueing to lose 1.5 lbs per week keeping daily count on requirements. :bigsmile: Not too much to fast! :noway: Just remember how important drinking that water is! I am up to 10 - 8 oz glasses a day. Seems to really help me. Our body has to work extra with the water we drink too. It replaces bad stuff in our cells. So:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: with lots of water in them cups! We can do it!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I am doing Body for Life, so that calls for more protein in my diet. The formula is supposed to be 40/40/20, that is, 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. All good carbs, proteins, and fats ofcourse. So I went to my goals section and manually changed the percentages. You should def be eating as much protein as you do carbs, if not more.
  • Eryn47
    Eryn47 Posts: 34
    Options
    From what I've been told You should really try and have a mix of protien and carbs in every meal. I guess it helps with keeping you full longer and all that good stuff. I try and have more carbs during the day and, at dinner getting my carbs from my veggies!! :smile:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I aim for what Miss Kim suggested; I'm not doing Body for Life but I feel healthier and fuller when I eat more protein and I run and work out a lot and it tends to help with muscle building. I also try to limit my fat intake because I'm trying to reduce body fat (which seems to be a hard and slow-going process for me!) I aim for 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% of fat or less, if 20% fat I try to make sure it's mostly from "good" fats like nuts and olive oil and avocado, if not then I'm under 20% and usually the carbs are closer to 45% and that seems to work best for me.

It's all individual but IMO myfitnesspal's recommended protein intake is low and you shouldn't really worry about going over on that. You may even want to manually up your intake goals for protein especially if you exercise. I also don't think that too high of a protein ratio -- or when you eat your protein -- makes a difference (often if I haven't gotten my aimed-for 100g of protein by the end of the day, I'll eat a piece of chicken or some sliced turkey and a little cheese and I feel better). If anything you could be eating too much fat or too many carbs, especially depending on the type of carbs you're eating. Aim for some complex carbs/ whole grains, some diary, probably low fat if you're watching the fat, and everything else, in my experience, should be vegetables (!!!), fruits, lean meats and fish if you're not a vegetarian, and other protein and "healthy" fat sources like beans and nuts. In my experience if you stick to that formula you won't have to worry because you will be getting a balanced amount of each necessary thing. Good luck.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I'm the resident lover of fats (meat, nuts, avocadoes, MUFA oils, but no veg. oils) here at a standard of about 55% of my daily intake. 25% protein, 20% carb.

I'm losing weight at a healthy pace and increasing my HDL cholesterol. I lift and do moderate aerobic activity (bike, some HIIT) on the side.

Just goes to show everyone here is going to give you a vastly different answer.