WDYD if you are hungry at bedtime?

Options

Replies

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Eat some Greek yogurt and maybe not carbs.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I like to eat jerky or popcorn but then I usually end up drinking too much water with it and have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Cottage cheese with some peaches is a favorite but my abolute favorite that I dont normally have enough calories for is raisin bran cereal. MMmmmm.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eat. But something reasonable. Naked 1am ice cream eating because i ignored my hunger at 9pm is the reason i can't quit MFP.

:laugh: I don't get how you guys wake up because of hunger! I can be starving before bed and sleep like a baby. Actually not like a baby, since they get up every 2 hours crying for a snack....
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and eat.... just nothing that is going to keep you awake - carbs/ sugary crap / fruit etc. Something protein maybe....
  • TerrJohns
    TerrJohns Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I still have calories left, I have a caramel rice cake or maybe some almonds with water. That usually pacifies me for the night. If none left then I go with flavored water and my body "thinks" it got something.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I eat... But make sure its not something too heavy, nothing worse then trying to sleep on an empty stomach
  • sophearvyphe
    Options
    Try and eat 4-5 hrs before bed, but make sure its full of PROTEIN to help keep you fuller longer and go to bed at a decent time. The longer you stay up, the likely you will become hungry. Its not good to go to bed hungry either, it will just disrupt your good night sleep. With that said, drink water and what I do is snack on a half cup of multi grain cheerios. If you end up getting really hungry even after dinner. I normally eat a small portion of greek yogurt with bananas or strawberries or just alone. This will help curb your appetite. I also snack on 70% or higher chocolate if I am craving something sweet. If you dont like any of these, eat some veggies or fruit. They are better than any other choice you can make before bed.
  • katrinaloveslunar
    Options
    My favourite is raisin bran with skimmed milk before bed :o)

I find if I don't eat at night, I wake up hungry the next morning. And then I'm hungry all day! Personally, I've moved my meal times around. If I eat supper at 8:00, I don't usually get hungry until the morning.

(And remember, years ago, eating at 6:00 was considered eating an early supper.)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i eat chocolate... seriously!
    often my bedtime ritual is a small (ie a single square of good dark chocolate, prefereably 70% cocoa), savoured slowly, one nibble at time melting on my tongue, no chewing *L* it's amazing how long it lasts that way, plus it's low in calories, very low in sodium, full of antioxidents, and so satisfying!
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Banana and milk have the amino acid tryptophan which will help you sleep
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Eat some toast with peanut butter and banana :)
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i eat the most right before i go to sleep most nights. I sleep so much better on a full stomach
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Based on your username, I think the bigger issue is sex before bed. Just say no!!!
    lol!
  • youngiam
    youngiam Posts: 1
    Options
    I stay up late so I am always hungry at night. I struggle with over snacking. So I am trying to shift my eating habits to account for this to save up some calories. I am also increasing my exercise - longer evening dog walks - just in case I go over my calorie limit. Things I am trying that seem to be crunchy and satisfying - bowl of cereal, like Special K Chocolatey delight, grapes and/or other crunchy fruit, apple, pear slices with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese. Fortunately there are more and more individual serving low fat ice cream, cookies and snacks available - which I keep on hand, worth the extra cost as it helps me keep track of serving size - otherwise I lose control. Also, sparkling water seems to be more filling and satisfying that just plain water. Hope this helps - look forward to what others have to say.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    i eat the most right before i go to sleep most nights. I sleep so much better on a full stomach
    yep ... i am the same i sleep great when i am not hungry, and the weight is still melting off!! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For me, an ounce of reduced fat cheddar ALWAYS hits the spot! :drinker:
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    If I'm hungry late at night, and I'm eating very good, and not over, I'll eat, and still lose weight. It doesn't matter when u eat, just how much and too much!!
  • frenchgrapes
    frenchgrapes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not a snacker and I'm still in the losing phase after having the gastric sleeve surgery done in December. Calories aren't the issue for me but sodium, carbs, sugars, and fats are. I keep sugar free popsickles, sugar free jello, and sugar free pudding cups in the fridge for those times when I need something to eat late at night. Peanut butter generally does have too many calories for me for any time of the day - but that is for my current phase of weight loss. I've tried Walden Farms peanut butter, which is zero calories, fats, protein, etc. but high in sodium. It is an acquired taste but not awful. I'm going to try the PB2 powdered peanut butter and see if that is better.

If you find yourself frequently wanting a snack before bed, you might want to build a late night snack into your meal plan.

Good luck to you on resolving this issue.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat or go to bed hungry? I know it is not good to eat late, but sometimes I am hungry. Wondering....

If you have calories - eat. If you don't, deal with the hunger.

I also find that a diet soda (caffeine free) really takes the edge off of hunger at night.
  • zippymelanie68
    Options
    tbs of peanut butter on a rice cake helps me if I'm feeling peckish, and I drink a peppermint tea or a spiced plum tea. If i'm more then peckish and really hungry I have some left over turkey breast in moderation. Turkey breast has really low cals and L-Tryptophan which helps my insomnia.