WDYD if you are hungry at bedtime?

Options
Is it better to eat or go to bed hungry? I know it is not good to eat late, but sometimes I am hungry. Wondering....

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Whole grain toast and peanut butter. :)
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Not supposed to eat late is a bunch of nonsense
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    calories left? Eat em. . . .
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat....Are you under your calories for the day ---> Yes = Eat, No = Don't Eat
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I eat something. The calories aren't going to change because of the time of day.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat or go to bed hungry? I know it is not good to eat late, but sometimes I am hungry. Wondering....

Bollocks. Eat if you're hungry.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    eat if you have calories left, If not drink water. Or eat something low in calories like vegetables.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Go to bed. I'm not hungry if I'm sleeping. But I wouldn't have an issue w/eating either - I don't believe in that don't eat after X:00 nonsense...
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Eat!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. Just don't go overboard on your calories.
    Not eating calories late? Nonsense.

I have yoghurt before bed 9 times out of 10 :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat. If I don't, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and binge eat. Better to eat before I go to bed and control it, then end up with uncontrolled eating.

There's nothing wrong with eating before bed as long as you are within your calories for the day. Many studies have proven it isn't WHEN you eat, but WHAT you eat. Most people eat chips, cookies, ice cream, etc before bed and push their calories too high for the day - THAT is why they gain weight.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    eat!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the whole "Don't eat late" thing is crap. If you're hungry, there's a reason. Eat, just eat smart. Like I love me some almonds as a snack. Keep me full, and don't have a sugary effect. Everybody wins.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Doesn't matter if you are close to your calorie goal or far under, your calorie goal is already a deficit and MFP usually calculates everything pretty low. I usually try to eat some sort of protein right before bed or I wake up really hungry.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eat. But something reasonable. Naked 1am ice cream eating because i ignored my hunger at 9pm is the reason i can't quit MFP.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Based on your username, I think the bigger issue is sex before bed. Just say no!!!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry at night and I like to eat at night so I always plan ahead and save some calories for my nighttime snack and then I eat. I have never done the don't eat after whatever time. I have always lost weight so why start it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'll just eat a little something with carbs and protein. The toast and peanut butter suggestion was fabulous. Or some banana with peanut butter...pretty much anything with peanut butter is golden!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    usually for me I am right at my calorie goal for the day so if i am still hungry and at my calorie goal i drink LOTS and LOTS of water.....but as 100 people said before me if i am under and about to go to bed i eat. No such thing as eating late being bad for you. :)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    eat even if you don't have calories left, just try to keep it below 200 so that you still have a reasonable deficit. Learn for the next day.

I honestly have to plan to have spare cals for before bed most nights.