Running Endurance Question!

Options
124»

Replies

• mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone--I, much like the the OP, have struggled to break through the "two mile barrier". After reading through this tread, on my run today I slowed way down & ended up running a significantly longer distance than I have been able to previously! Thank you for all of your advice, and thank you to the OP for posting the topic. You all rock!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A HUGE aspect of training for a specific race distance is MENTAL. Once you can log the the total distance, you have won the battle. Your mind tells you, "I've got this!" The next step in the process is to train you BODY to better your pace. The best way to do this IMO is by increasing the distance (i.e. work on your endurance) and doing some interval training.

Good luck!!!
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Bump
  • grainne_eire
    Options
    If the endurance is to do with your breathing, try to introduce HIIT running (high intensity interval training) . It kills you the first few times you do it but your recovery time will get shorter and shorter. Running distance after doing this seems like a walk in the park.. at least for me anyway!!!
  • DebsXmas40
    Options
    I have the opposite problem to you. I started running just over a year ago having never run before! I completed a half marathon on Monday which i am chuffed to pieces with, however i never seem to be able to run quicker than 10 minute miles and over the last 3 miles I slowed to about 12 minute miles, it took me 2 hours 31 mins. (if i push myself to 9.50 on a 5k run i feel physically sick but can keep going for 10 miles plus at 10 - 11 mins per mile easy!)

Basically I am a slow plodder, i want to be running the speeds that your doing and realise that i now need to cut the distances and increase the speed... opposite to what you need to be doing!!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Bumping this from a couple weeks ago for the phenomenal advice!

I was just about to post a new thread asking how to increase my endurance--yay for search functions. :) I have a 5k coming up at the end of May and I want to run it in its entirety. I went from barely thinking I could do a quarter mile a month ago to hitting 2 miles without a walk break tonight. I like the idea of C25K but I don't have the time to start from the beginning and at this point I don't know that that would be necessary. Going to try to slow it down on the next run and see what kind of difference it makes. I'm definitely learning as I go how much of it is mental. I'm loving the challenge!
  • denise3636
    denise3636 Posts: 2
    Options
    She wants to get to 3 miles and you are telling her to run 6 miles a daym 5 days a week and build to 10 miles a day, 7 miles a week? A decent half marathon training program has you running 25-30 miles a week at the maximum. Not only is your recommendation scary for a still novice runner, but it's unrealistic for someone who currently averages 1.5 miles per run.

Poster, you have gotten good advice so far. What works for me is to slow down and not look at the numbers. I can't remember if you run outside or on the treadmill, but I find it much easier to build my mileage outdoors, since my head is not wrapped up in the numbers on the treadmill.

*My apologies, your most recent message did not load until after I posted this. :smile: