Who Cooks In Your House?

Options
Since I met my husband over 12 years ago, he has always cooked 95% of our meals. He would cook 3-4 times a week Yummy, but not incredibly healthy. Plus we would order out 1-2 times a week. Plus go out to eat 1-2 times a week. Only in the past 2 years have I been making more of my own meals to get healthy. I still eat his food, but much smaller portions.

He started a new job recently, so we agreed I would cook 3 nights a week, he would cook 2, and then we would figure out the last 2. I'm not making "diet" food, but I am cooking healthy, and so far he will try a bite....but 90% of the time, go make something else, like hotdogs, canned soup, or PB&J sandwich.

Anyone else have a similar problem? He does not need to lose weight, but I do want him to enjoy the food I cook with me.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I cook most meals and my family is just so happy there is food when I do cook that they eat whatever I serve. My cousin cooks once every 1-2 weeks or so, not the healthiest usually but I'm so glad someone else cooked I eat whatever it is! My mom cooks maybe once a month. My son cooks on holidays - but I might make Easter dinner this year. My son and I eat out probably too often...

Do you ever cook healthier versions of stuff he does like? Or stuff that can be easily altered? Like for example - minute white rice for him and minute brown rice for you if he won't eat it. Or sloppy joes on a bun for him but over bulgur or brown rice for you... Or a (easy) higher calorie side for him and a salad for you.
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i cook daily and i enjoy it.
    i try to cook all kind of foods (meat, pasta,pulses,veggies, fish)
    i make tasty big salads every day, using fresh herbs and balsamic vinegar-both types-or lots of lemon.
    i make sauteed vegetable with meat or rice (white or brown or basmati) ...i cook pasta once a week, chicken roasted or with curry. if you don't have any ideas of your own, you search on the net. there are millions of recipes, easy, fast, healthy and yummy!

good luck
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My fiancé does all the cooking in our house. I don't have time, and he very kindly does absolutely everything around the house to stop me destroying myself through lack of energy.

He doesn't like healthy foods, either, so he makes separate meals for the two of us, or makes adaptations, to be sure I'm happy. For him, cooking two meals is easier than eating what I do. :tongue:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Always sorted out my own food, since leaving home, as I live alone. Even when I had a longterm partner, we each sorted out our own meals as we liked different things and ate at different times. Same with my recent ex, who ate with me every evening... he had what he wanted, and I sorted my own food out, as I don't eat meat, and he did. I am not a great cook, thus far, and wish I had a book of really simple, but interesting recipes, as I tend to end up having plain fish, rice and vegetables a lot, or baked sweet potatoes with some soup and tofu mush, lol. I am hopeless at ideas for jazzing things up.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking and once or twice a month we go out. I am very fortunate that my husband will try anything I fix. I like Ready2Rock's idea of cooking his favourites but with in a healthy way. Good luck I don't think I would have the patience for a picky eater. :drinker:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hubby does the grilling and some of the cooking (crockpot cooking) but I do all the chopping, he hates chopping. Thankfully he does dishes:laugh:
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My mother cooks and when I tell her I would like to eat more healthy food she looks at me like I said something horrible :|
    I really don't like this situation..
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used to share cooking duties, but schedules changed. Now, I do the vast majority of the cooking. My husband loves what I cook. The only difference in how we eat is the level of salt in the food since I am supposed to be on a salt restricted diet. He just adds salt to his plate.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My husband does absolutely all the cooking. I suck at it and hate it. If he and the kids have spaghetti one night, I have salad stuff in the fridge or eat leftovers of whatever we had the night before. Most of the time he grills so I just skip the rice or pasta side dish.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I cook Sunday - Friday morning. Hubby cooks or we may go out Friday night and all day Saturay and he always cooks breakfast on Sunday morning.
  • BurkeshireFarms
    BurkeshireFarms Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My awesome wife! And the fare is excellent.

I do enjoy cooking though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When we first married, my husband cooked as much as I. Over the years he's gotten lazier about it and I do it mostly now, or we do it together. He cooks more in the summer because he likes to fancy himself king of the grill.

But he's okay with eating healthy. He eats too much in general, but I make tasty healthy meals that we both enjoy. And he makes healthy meals that we both enjoy on the days he cooks.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That is a good point. I will have to consider making more of his favorite foods. I have been trying new recipes to mix things up.

When I started eating more healthy while still eating his cooking, I would usually just eat the meat portion and take a much smaller amount. If he cooked up pasta, I would make my own whole wheat. He stopped cooking potatoes for me (per my request) and I would double up on the salad and veggies. We almost NEVER order in anymore, but we do still usually go out 1-2 times a week.

I just can't wait for him to get home who knows when and cook who knows what, so I guess we will have to figure out a way so it works for both of us.
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My awesome wife! And the fare is excellent.

I do enjoy cooking though.
    This is my husband, and he knows I'll see whatever he posts! :)

I still cook all our favorites, just in healthier ways. Ground turkey breast, instead of hamburger; brown rice, whole grain fiber-added pasta, etc. No foods are off-limits in our house or on some kind of "bad" list. We even still have stuff like pancakes, bacon, and macaroni and cheese. One of the best cookbooks I ever bought is the American Heart Association's Healthy Family Meals.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I cook in my house...unless it involves the grill then it is all my hubbies...

I eat towards the Paleo realm - so lots of meats and veggies - he is fine with it....

I also have my kids added into the mix...so if there are days when i am making something they have tried and don't like then I try and fix them something similar...like when I do up a pot of marinara sauce - I cook a spagetti squash for my husband and I and pasta for my girls...the other day we had roast chicken - I did up sides of steamed veggies and mashed potatoes...my kids ate the mashed potatoes, I had the veggies and hubby had some of each...

If it is things like he likes potatoes and you don't you may want to spend the little bit of extra money and buy some of those already washed and packaged potatoes you can throw in microwave.. cook up a protien, some steamed or roasted veggies and then you can throw a potatoe in the microwave for him to add to the meal...
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Update, in case anyone is checking back in...I made Chicken Sausage with whole wheat Farfalle, onions, red peppers, parsley & a little cheese. He ate it all, and said he would eat it if I made it again. FIRST TIME he finished anything I cooked (ever), commented it was good (not great) - I thought it was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he likes my blackened salmon later in the week.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I kind of have that problem. I live with my boyfriend and cook for him every night, and we eat out on the weekends. It is really hard to find a happy balance because he is trying to GAIN weight and I'm trying to lose it. Thankfully we've found a happy medium in that we both aim for high protein. I try to center my meals around lean proteins (which can taste good without all the extra stuff) and veggies and if he wants something extra I'll make it for him. Or I just pick less cheese or different condiments and such.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    I do most of the cooking, although my hubby can. But I like to do it, because he has high blood pressure and diabetes, and my daughter has food intolerences (which is like an allergy, only not life threatening, just sickening). And I need lots of veggies to keep me in line, so I do it so I can have more control. By cooking low salt, low fat and low carb over the years, I helped my hubby from developing diabetes and hbp early, as his brothers and sisters did. And he is very well controlled, and his weight is good, so I feel sorry for the gal whose hubby eats hot dogs instead of the healthy stuff she made. Tell him he should buy lots more life insurance, you are going to need it. Honestly, my hubby is living proof that watching your food intake keeps health issues under control. Luckily. I have no health issues, except I am fat, and I don't want to develop issues, so I am losing the weight! I was raised in a house that offered lots of meats, starch, and gravy, a few canned vegetables, and lots of dessert. I feel for others living in that situation, they don't get why you want different choices. I took over cooking when I was in high school because mom worked, and I made slow changes. When I left home, my dad missed my cooking, so I did a few things right. But I now know that too much healthy food is too much! So I am working on that now. Good luck to everyone in finding a way that works for you, in spite of what others want you to do.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do and I get sick of it! I enjoy other people's cooking more. Oh well. Such is life. Wasn't meant to be easy :wink:
  • mignon83
    mignon83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do the most right now but husband do cook sometimes.