Vegetarians - need help with hungerrrrrrr

Options
Oh my goodness! I am soooooo tired of bunny food! What are your most filling nutritious low calorie low fat suggestions? :heart:

Replies

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have Quorn in the USA? It's a meat substitute which is quite low in calories.

I like a couple of the "chicken-style" fillets with chopped vegetables stir-fried in soy sauce. I had a HUGE bowl of vegetables (250 kcal) and two fillets (100 kcal) for lunch yesterday and was so full I did not want dinner at all!
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For breakfast every morning I have a Morning Star "sausage" in a slice of Ezekiel bread (and a little hot sauce to moisten it up). It is full of whole grains, protein, no sugars, and fills you up for just under 160 calories. The protein helps me make it till lunch!
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    Anything Sanitarium. wholegrain sandwiches are good for killing hunger... although they do fit into the rabbit food category. You can eat huge amounts of roast veggies (with no added oil) at a low calorie count.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    eggs, tofu, beans, get some protein into you :-) ah, and cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cup-a-soup is my 'go to' when hunger strikes (not sure if you get it in the US)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    quinoa, beans, rice, nuts/nut butters
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Protein makes you feel full. If you can eat soy, anything with soya in is good such as soya yoghurts, soya desserts, tofu. Lentils are good, red lentils take 18 minutes to boil into a thick soup with whatever vegetables you fancy or make a lentil loaf which you can slice and eat cold.

Make sure your food portions are BIG :happy:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with meat-replacement products, as they are generally high in protein and more protein means fuller for longer!
    When I feel super hungry, I like to have vegetarian sausages in a sandwich (90cal sausages x 2, 53cal slice wholemeal bread x2) or "meat"ball sandwiches with salad.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    rolled oats + rice milk (or any other kind of milk). really filling and keeps me satisfied for a long time.

if you've never heard of seitan, check that out. it's vegan, easy (and cheap) to make, takes on any flavor you give it, and high in protein. don't buy the pre-made stuff because it's ridiculously expensive and tastes icky (in my opinion).
  • Rozlynmac
    Rozlynmac Posts: 71
    Options
    Agree with most others. Oats/Porridge in skimmed milk or soya/rice milk in the morning. Eggs on toast (if you eat egg) keeps me filled up for hours (You can 'poach' two eggs in a microwave in 2 mins while making toast, no need for a pan of boiling water).

Quorn/Tofu/Quinoa with beans of pretty much any variety & salad on the side as filler.

Crackers/Oatcakes (do you get them in the US?) with hummus/light butter/peanut butter/low fat cheese/light cheese spread

Wholewheat pasta with pesto and spinach and any other veg you want to sling in either raw as a pasta salad, or roasted for a hot dinner.

Check out savvyvegetarian or skinnytaste (vegetarian option in menu) for filling calorie/fat counted recipes.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian... but Tofu on the BBQ is yummy!!
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    quorn - yummy
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone!!!! These are all great ideas!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Yuba Strips (tofu skin). Worst name ever, but they have a meaty texture and can be used in anything. Since they are long and strip like, I like to eat them with noodles.