Afraid to share

Options
This is a random post I'm sure. I joined this site over a year ago and had started to log my food intake. However, as with anyone else, I have been going through those phases where I forget to log or just don't feel like it. Around January I thought if I posted in the forum about my goals that it would help.

I ended up getting hit by a car while walking home within a week and was unable to work out or prepare any food easily due to scratched hands. However, that became more of an excuse even after the injuries healed. It was only then that I realized that I was afraid to log due to the fact I had people who had added me and I was ashamed of my food intake.

I have literally no cooking experience and when I saw others posting their own meals I felt ashamed when I was turning to Pasta-Roni and such due to not really having an idea of where to begin. I became obsessed with looking up recipies but found myself too afraid to try them out. This was mostly because I was afraid to waste ingredients and most of them are meals for multiple people while I'm preparing food for only myself.

I know I don't eat enough and my metabolism is dragging against the gutter but in the past 2 months I've gained 10 lbs and that shock has caused me to realize I need to reach out to someone. I just am afraid of being berated or scolded for my lack of cooking knowledge.

I realize what i need to do is to create a meal plan and prepare the food ahead of time but I am literally unsure of where to begin. It's difficult when you spent your entire life eating processed foods and I am being forced to decide what healthy alternatives there are. (even my parents only lived on hamburger helper and frozen dinners)

I hope I'm posting this in the right area, I'm just unsure of where to go and what to do now. I feel that I am hitting a brick wall over and over with this. I feel I need motivation and help getting myself on the right track.

Thank you and sorry for rambling.

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    you can keep your diary private - that way others can't see what your eatng even i they are your friends (they just get the message that you completed it and if applicable, were under your cal goal)

As t learning to coo - are there any classes you could go to - local colleges/schools often run some - or local parenting groups/charities might.

Another idea is to set up a friends cooking group - you each pick one recipe you can make, and teach it to the others. In no time at all you're having a laugh and learning lots of new skills. And everyone can manage to find ONE recipe they can make: try pasta with passata & some diced veg (very yummy & healthy & quick & easy)
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    thats fine hun, im 44, haven't eaten meat since i was 16, (i'v always eaten fish though), yesterday was the first time i ever cooked chicken breast!!!!!!! i kept my diary private for a long time because i was ashamed of how much rubbish i ate even though i kept within the cals. so your not alone. how about searching online, buy a cook book you fancy and start from there? you can do soup for 4 ppl and freeze what you don't eat, that will built your confidence. nobody learns overnight so don't beat yourself up, you can totally do this. best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy for you to add me. I can't suggest any recipes or tips for cooking, but that's because I don't. Like you, I go for affordable convenience - I just make better choices about which convenience foods I go for.
    So, if you're looking for someone else that doesn't cook and doesn't care if none of your food is fresh and home-made, add me.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry, just make it happen. Don't worry about about anyone does or thinks. Pretty much 99.9% of people on here will offer support, advice and motivation. You have to start somewhere. I don't cook that much either. My best mate has been on here for ages if I felt bad after looking at his diary I should've quit before I even knew I was going so start.

Eat whole foods, steak and veggies, chicken and salad, even I can make that stuff. Just start from there, once you get a few things under your belt you can branch out and start getting fancy, who's knows might even turn into a hobby for you.

All you have to do is start... Just start... Doesn't ,after how much you think you suck at it, just start and go from there, it's like anything in life. You don't just get up and start being freaking awesome at it... You have to crawl before you can walk :drinker:
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel with the cooking...I had A LOT of Hamburger Helper growing up!! (I cannot stand it today!) I am also a very picky eater. My actual cooking usually consists of Tacos, Chili, Spaghetti, Pizza, Chicken and Rice, Meatballs, Mac and Cheese, Grilled Cheese, and summer grilling foods (chicken, steak, hamburgers, hot dogs on the grill). And some of those are barely actually cooking. I often find myself making frozen food items for myself and my family. I have just recently joined the site, I have a few pounds of baby weight that I want to loose, but I also want my kids to grown up eating healthy (I have a 4yo and an 8mo). So I have decided now is the time to do something about it!

I find that most recepies that are out there that look good always end up having things that I don't like in them...mushrooms, onions, sour cream, peppers, nuts, mayo, cream cheese...the list goes on and on. I see all these pictures of foods that look good, but looking at the ingredients I always think 'Eww Gross!' I don't know if you are familiar with the website pinterest, but I have recently started really looking on there for simple healthy meals and I have started making a list. My goal this summer is to try a bunch of new recepies with my family and see which ones we all like. I am then going to print out and put together this meal planner (http://boldturquoise.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/putting-together-your-meal-plan-binder-for-the-year/#entry) and hope that this helps me make better choices than the drive thru when it comes to dinner for my family. (I don't think I could actually plan out the entire year, but I am going to shoot for a month to month planning.)

Dont be afraid to share your logs, I have really seen a lot of encouragement on this website, sometimes when we are struggling to make good choices it is nice to have someone that can give us ideas to help us change or even to simply tell us they believe in us and that we can do better tomorrow. 8-) And as others have said if you are not comfy sharing your logs quite yet you can keep them private for as long as you would like. 8-)
  • lizj1
    lizj1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacque,

maybe cooking shows on TV or on YouTube could help you learn to cook?

Remember, you can adapt any recipe to feed one just by dividing all the ingredient measurements by the number of servings. Alternatively, if you find recipes for two, you can cook them up and freeze half, or save half for lunch the next day.

A lot of people on these boards seem to like Hungry Girl http://www.hungry-girl.com/ - she has recipes for healthy versions of lots of popular food on her website, and the instructions look quite detailed. The ones I have checked out are for two servings. She is also offering a healthy guide to the supermarket - I'm not sure how good it is, as it does not really apply to the UK.

You don't have to make every meal perfect from day one - start by cooking yourself one healthy meal, then maybe one every other day, and so on. You may find you come to enjoy cooking and trying new foods!

Good Luck
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    Hey there! There's no need to be ashamed of not knowing how to cook. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm no cooking connoisseur but having been brought up learning to cook yummy but not super healthy foods, I've had to adjust to having to cooking healthy meals for one. Now I find it easier cooking small amounts of food because I know how much food is enough for just me. I find if I make larger meals so I have left overs I'm tempted to go for unnecessary seconds.

One tip I have for cooking for yourself is to portion your meat as soon as you get home from the shops. I usually find that eating a certain amount of protein with a meal makes me fuller for longer. My portions are usually around 100-150 grams (sorry I don't know ounces or pounds) but you could have more if you work out a lot.

Also, you can't go wrong with fresh fruit and veg. There are so many great vegetables out there to help compliment a meal. If you like really simple meals, you could just do some grilled or steamed chicken or fish with some steamed vegies (that have been lightly salted before cooking to bring out the taste). You don't have to go overboard with the veg, I found a little can go a long way. I find that 50-100 grams or about a 1/2 cup-1 cup each of 2-4 different types of vegetables is plenty for a meal.

Next easiest thing to do is stirfries, brown (not burn, lol) a portion meat in a pan or wok and add some veg like snowpeas, broccoli, capsicum (aka peppers), baby corn, zucchini, garlic (I love garlic, its so yummy!) and a tablespoon or two of soy sauce, and you've got a great, healtht meal right there! Of course I encourage you to look up recipes, there are so many great one floating all over the internet.

If your ever stuck for a meal idea, feel free to message me, I always have one or two up my sleeve, and you can always adapt them to your own tastes and what you have on hand.

Hope this helps you a bit. Good luck!!
  • tanya_613
    tanya_613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My food diary is private but I do like the fact of inputting it... it helps keep me accountable for what I eat and that has helped me. I didnt think I ate alot but when Im logging in stuff and seeing how many calories are in the things I eat.... Whew!!

Do not be discouraged... this is a journey.

I would suggest salads, and if your $$ are short like mine, dont buy the premaid salads, buy the lettuce and add your toppings. you can buy the pre cooked chicken and cut that up for chicken salad, as well as turkey, tuna and salmon. (protien)

Fresh fruits... melons and such, but them in season and fresh and fresh vegetables.

This is doable... the best of luck to you....

Im adding you as a friend so we can keep accountable of each other ;-) hope you dont mind.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me with the not knowing how to cook and keeping your diary rpivate! Feel free to add me if you'd like. One thing I did find is that I bought a cheap slow cooker and started making stews in that- you can buy cheap veg and cheap meat and just chop it up and chuck it in. I'm sure you can do a lot more with it but it's a good start!
  • lvplts
    lvplts Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't share because I'm a very private person. However your situation really speaks to me so here goes.

1. Go to your local library and take out recipe books that talk about healthy eating that have been published in the past 10 years or so, the more recent the better.Modern recipe books usually are quite detailed.

2. I usually choose one pot dishes for 2 reasons: easier to clean up but more importantly, they freeze well.

3. Freezing is a single person's best friend. For example, you make something for four, divided it in portions, eat one and freeze the other three. Make sure you label each with the date and what it is and put in freezer. So some day when you don't feel like cooking, you have something in reserve.

Good luck.

Here is a bit about myself to show you that I know that I know what I am talking about.
    I am 70 years old. I retired in June of 1997 and decided to lose weight as a retirement project. Between then and April 2002, I lost 104 lbs and kept it off. In January of 2011, I had a hip replacement. Because I could not move much in the year before and after, I gained a bit of weight. As soon as I could, I decided that weight had to come off which is why I joined here. I'm well on the way to reach my goal.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I kept my diary private until I worked out the kinks in my meal plan. I usually have a 1/4 c egg substitute on an English muffin for breakfast (all I do is toast the muffin, and microwave the egg in a small bowl sprayed with Pam) and I microwave soup for lunch (Campbell's Select Harvest has some good lo-cal ones, a couple even have 50 cals per cup) and a light sandwich for lunch. When I cook dinner, I usually try to find at least one new recipe to try with my family each week, sometimes they are "keepers" and sometimes we decide to never have it again. It's trial and error! Start with recipes you know you like and build from there. There are also a lot of prepackaged healthy snacks, and fruits and veg don't require a lot of effort. You can do this!
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    I do a lot of low-calorie recipe searching and cooking. A lot of times, you do have to buy special ingredients that you probably don't necessarily have in the house. If I decide to try a new recipe and buy those ingredients, I cook the meals on the weekends and try to make enough to use all of the stuff I buy, make several meals and freeze them. Then I take them to work for lunch or have them as dinner when I get home. Quick and easy.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't post very much but hope I might be able to help! I now prepare from fresh almost entirely, but when I started at university and a bit years ago, I survived on cheese toasties and takeaways (and put on about 21lb). What I'd suggest is starting out with some dried pasta and a sauce in a jar. Cook the pasta exactly following the instructions, heat up the sauce in a pan or the microwave and you're done. You can then move on to adding bits to the sauce, like mushrooms, or frying a little bacon to go alongside it. Gradually, you'll feel confident enough to move onto things that are more ambitious.

If you follow the instructions, there's very little that can go wrong and the worst that can happen is you end up throwing it out and eating the convenience food - which is no worse than where you started in any case!

Hope that helps - feel free to add me if you want to have a look at the things I make :)
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo the sentiments of others and recommend that you fall in love with your freezer. Cooking full recipes as a single person (or even for a couple vs. a family) leads to the greatest thing ever, namely - leftovers. And don't think that means having to eat the same thing 4 times in a row. As others have said - portion things out and stick 'em in the freezer for a day you don't want to cook. Instant frozen dinner - but so much better because it's not full of preservatives and such. :-) Yay. I make HUGE (like party sized) portions of soups and stews and then portion them out into multiple containers (some single portions, some double for nights that both my husband and I want it for dinner), and then freeze them. I can pop one out for lunches, or use them as dinner or a part of dinner. It's pretty handy.

As for recipes - start small. No one is born knowing how to cook, and if you didn't grow up with someone teaching you how to cook and letting you help in the kitchen, then you don't just learn by osmosis. I would start with very basic recipes and as you gain confidence you can build your skills.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    OP - after reading your post I just want to give you a big hug. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    small changes, and hang in there! So what if you have to use mostly prepared stuff as you learn? Its not as good for you, but you can still stay within your calorie counts and use them as a back up as you are learning how to prepare the healthier meal options.

I suggest looking into some crockpot/slow cooker meals. There are lots that can be healthy and its very very easy, literally just throw everything in there and turn it on and let it cook all day.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you'd like! I wont ever berate you for your choices.
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OP - after reading your post I just want to give you a big hug. :flowerforyou:

Me too!! :flowerforyou:
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you really want to cook, there are cookbooks out there that serve recipes for only two people. You could eat one and freeze one. Also, there are sites online that offer recipes for two people too.

I can relate to your fears. I understand. Your fears are very important to you as they should be. Now, in coming to this web site where there are so many people who are just champing at the bit to make you their friend, you must realize that you are in a place where you can work on overcoming some of those fears.

We all have fears. It is only normal. But, our fears hold us back. I too would love to be your friend. You came here for a reason. Let this site guide you in the right direction and you will be a winner. It's funny, I hope everyone on this site is a looser. That would make us all winners wouldn't it?

Have a good day, stay strong, and log in here every day.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I basically taught myself now that I'm living on my own how to cook certain meals and prepare stuff that's actually edible to others as well. Took a while and a lot of recipe searching on the food network or in cookbooks (or even asking my parents for tips even though I tried to do stuff on my own), but I've finally got it down for the most part. Plus, I know what it's like to just cook for yourself and start portioning stuff now... took me forever to get that skill.

With time and patience, you get better at it. Cooking isn't a natural ability you're born with, you just kinda figure it out through trial and error. If you need tips, I'm always here to help!

Remember, you got this! No one will scold you because of your habits and if they do, they need to take a good look in the mirror and realize that their insecurities with their weight have also led them to this site for one reason or another, too. No one is perfect, but we all deserve to be happy! :happy:
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being so honest. As you can already see from the replies you've had, the vast majority of people on here are supportive and understanding so try to expand your friends list and if anyone starts getting food-Nazi on you without taking your particular circumstances into account then just delete them. I see many differing points of view on the forums but, personally, I still believe that if you take in less calories than you burn you will lose weight. Eating healthily will stabilise your blood sugar levels, leaving you feeling more satisfied, experiencing fewer cravings for 'unhealthy' foods and healthier in general but most of us have reasons why that is not always practical.

Your diary is exactly that - yours - and set it to what feels right for you. Personally, I don't have my diary open to general view but I do have it open to my friends list. This helps me not to be 'ashamed' of what I might have eaten and gives me more motivation to be completely honest - if I have a day where I've over- or under-eaten I try to explain to my friends why that is and I can honestly say the only feedback I've had has been supportive and instructive.

You've already had some good advice regarding expanding your culinary repertoire - get creative, don't be afraid to experiment and remember - even the most experienced cook gets it wrong so don't beat yourself up over any 'failures'.

I wish you all the very best x