strength training and cardio

Options
So yesterday I posted a question asking how much I should be working out a week...a lot of the responses said 3 days of cardio for 30 minutes and 2 days of strength training. Sometimes I use the machines at the gym...but what exactly should i be doing for strength training every week?? What do you do and what do you suggest?

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I do a variety of things depending on what I'm in the mood for. I do yoga, a stability ball w/ dvd, and I just got something new that I've been telling everyone about. Its called "Hot Bod in a Box". Excersize cards that describe and show the moves, and it has 9 circuit training routines that you just go thru the cards, pull the right card numbers, do the moves and you're done. I love that the routines are figured out for me and that I can vary them as much as I want.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    For strength training I do free weights. I do cardio 6 days a week for 45 minutes and do strength training 3 days a week for 1 hr. Doing the machines is strength training.
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    If you are unfamiliar with strength training I would get one session with a trainer at your gym and have them show you the basics to prevent any injuries. they will probably also be able to tell you what best suits your needs at this point.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with CristinaMunoz it is very important to know the correct way to do strength training. Usually gyms give you one free mini session with a trainer to show you a routine that fits your needs. I would have never started strength training if I wouldn'nt have started with my trainer. Now I work out with her three days a week.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I want to go against the very first part of this. You should be doing cardio OVER 30 minutes at least 3 - 4 times a week. 30 minutes should be your minimum. It takes that long to get into the real fat burning portion of your heart rate.

What might you be doing for cardio? If its not overly intense, then its really best to do your weight training then go right into your cardio. Your body is already warmed up for fat burning from the strength training and the cardio will go right into it.

As far as what is best for strength training for you, it depends on what your current fitness level is. If you're brand new to it, then pushups and body weight only moves will work fine, if you're more advanced, then you will need different things.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do, and it's working great!

3 workouts a week - Tue/Thu/Sat, each approximately 60-90 mins. 20-25 mins are spent on strength training, alternating upper and lower body plus abs every time. I use free weights for upper body and mostly machines for lower.

Then I do cardio 30-40 mins (AFTER strength training as much of what I've read suggests to). I mix up my cardio types, some days I'll do elliptical, rowing, cycling machine or treadmill. Sometimes, I do two things...25 mins of one, and 15 of another with no breaks. Each time, I try to increase some aspect of the cardio workout..either distance, strides, difficulty level, or type of program. I don't want my body to become accustomed to anything in particular.

I keep a log of each workout. How many reps, what pounds, distance, difficulty calories burned, etc. to make sure I'm actually progressing with my program.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Soo.... Say I warmed up 5 minutes on the treadmill then did weight training, then back on the elliptical for 30 minutes... That would be better than 30 minutes on the treadmill THEN the weight training?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Soo.... Say I warmed up 5 minutes on the treadmill then did weight training, then back on the elliptical for 30 minutes... That would be better than 30 minutes on the treadmill THEN the weight training?

Yes, way better!!! You're not really burning (lots) of calories during weight training. Your fat buring benefit comes from the cardio, and if you can do that while already warmed up from the weights, then you're going to get maximum benefit.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Yes, way better!!! You're not really burning (lots) of calories during weight training. Your fat buring benefit comes from the cardio, and if you can do that while already warmed up from the weights, then you're going to get maximum benefit.

AHHHH!!! I didn't know that! Weird. I'll have to switch! Thanks for the advice. I really need to kick it up a knotch... 6 weeks til my wedding!

So what do you think of a routine like this: Warm up jog for 5 minutes. Stretch 10 minutes, Weights 30-40 minutes, then treadmill again. (I was gonna start Week 3 of the C25K program today) then I would probably stretch again.
  • chgudnitz
    Options

AHHHH!!! I didn't know that! Weird. I'll have to switch! Thanks for the advice. I really need to kick it up a knotch... 6 weeks til my wedding!

You look great already. Weddings are fun, but they go SOOO fast when it's yours.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should think about getting a trainer at the beginning for strength training. You don't want to hurt yourself, and you don't want to waste your time in doing it wrong. One thing my trainer told me (we ususally do 15 reps, 3 sets. And at least by the third set, it should be hard to finish. If it's not hard, then either you need to increase the reps or the weight. If you can't afford the trainer, then make sure you look closely at the pictures on the machines. They will tell you what muscle you should be using, and be very aware of what muscles you are engaging while you are doing it. Also, it's a good idea for every strength movement, you breathe out while compressing your stomach. For every release of that strength movement, you breathe in. Don't over do it with the breathing, you don't want to pass out from hyperventilation, but that might help will the movements and it engages your core while you're working.

I do: 5 minutes warm up on the treadmill
    45 minutes strength training
    35 minutes running on treadmill.

Edit: P.S. My favorite strength training move right now:
    Hanging from the bar (arms are in a Y position). Keeping body very still, lift legs to parallel to ground (body is in L shape, or higher). repeat 9 more times minimizing swing (no swing if you can, because that's cheating). (I can't do 15 yet)

And since I find it really hard to hang (OMG, who knew how hard it is to just hang, I use to hang on the monkey bars for hours when I was a kid!!!!) I do the next two sets in a different position. The "bar" machine also allows we to hang on top of my forearms. In that position, I kick me legs (keeping them straight) forward and up as hard as I can, 10 reps, 2 more sets.

It hurts, it's hard. But I'm really feeling the difference in this ab workout. Some day I'll be able to do 15 reps, 3 sets hanging from the hands.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

You look great already. Weddings are fun, but they go SOOO fast when it's yours.

Thank you very much. I still have some toning up to do though. My dress isn't very forgiving. This is going so fast and I am so busy I haven't had as much time to work out as I would like. Did you see my post I edited above with my routine? What do you think about that? I also have the 30 Day Shred DVD... I've only done it once but think I could do Level 2.
  • chgudnitz
    Options

Thank you very much. I still have some toning up to do though. My dress isn't very forgiving. This is going so fast and I am so busy I haven't had as much time to work out as I would like. Did you see my post I edited above with my routine? What do you think about that? I also have the 30 Day Shred DVD... I've only done it once but think I could do Level 2.

I did see it, I would stretch before the warm up, if you have to stretch ahead of time. I always (personal preference) think its better to stretch afterwards. But besides that I think it looks like a good routine.