Do you long in EVERY calorie?

Options
briteyes1002
briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
As I was popping in a handful of mints into my mouth yesterday while reading the back of the mint package... I noticed that I just chewed up and extra 15 calories... which got me thinking.. Do you log in every calorie you eat?

I mean do you add that piece of gum you just chewed, or the bite of chocolate cake you had of your childs plate, or that half glass of milk you had for breakfast? I mean I wonder how many of us would really be over our daily goal if we log in absolutely everything. I normally do- but I certainly never logged in my mint intake before :)

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I really try. I'm a grazer so if I didn't, I really would be over my calories. Plus, I'm an accountant so by nature I'm pretty anal about it :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    For little stuff like that? No.
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't gum, or I wouldn't a bite of cake. But a glass of milk, yes. In general yes I do. One day I splurged because we went out though and I didn't even try to log it lol.
  • jengessler
    Options
    My family actually teases me about that...because I figure anything I eat while standing in front of the pantry is being burned off while I'm searching for real food. So that one preztel stick or 2 wheat thins aren't worth logging in to me. However, I "over-log" some things to make up the difference. That way I'm not searching for the precise calorie count of 1 preztel stick, but rather covering it by saying I ate slightly more of my lunch than I actually did.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I had to start logging my gum (sugar free even) because I'm such a gum addict, I give up 90 calories a day to Trident Cinnamon gum :(
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Nope. That seems ridiculous to me. One has to just live life a little. As long as you are getting results it shouldn't matter. I try to leave room for incidentals at the end of the day. If I am not getting results, I may stop and think a little more about what I am doing. Or, I may start logging the little things to see how it's all adding up. It just depends, I guess.

Ultimately, my goal is to stop counting and just know. I think it will take a while, but that's the goal.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! In weight watchers, we use to call these BLT's.. (bites, licks, 'tastes').. they can add up!!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Bite of cake and milk, yes. Gum and mints, no.
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I found I wasn't loosing so I started to log EVERYTHING down to vitamins I take every day. Since I've started adding everything up i'm losing loads better :)
  • rickyleepotts
    Options
    I try to. I even log the coffee that I drink in the morning. MyFitnessPal makes it easy. I also drink a lot of beer (I write a beer blog) and I track all of those as well. I eat so few calories that if I didn't track them all, I would easily go over.
  • rickyleepotts
    Options
    I take a lot of vitamins... but I don't track them. Maybe I should start. Are there a lot of calories in vitamins?
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Gum? Mints? No.
    I figure that I burn the 5 calories for the gum while I chew it for like 30 mins. :)
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I didn't log the snickers bar & the piece of KFC chicken I had yesterday :sad:

No wonder I've gained 5lbs back!
    I think it's better to log EVERYTHING, then you're not lying to yourself & others.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of vitamins... but I don't track them. Maybe I should start. Are there a lot of calories in vitamins?

Depends on the vitamin.
    My chewy vitamins are like 15 cals.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do, and I usually log it as more then I had. I do like half or a quarter of whatever I ate, and always log the gum and mints since they have calories.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'll still be ok if I don't log every Tic-Tac I pop in my mouth.. Unless they are the orange ones, because I can eat a whole pack at a time :embarassed:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I really try to, or I would be lying to myself, there are a lot of calories in those 'things that don't count'
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Gum? Mints? No.
    I figure that I burn the 5 calories for the gum while I chew it for like 30 mins. :)

Agreed! I chew the gum so hard to keep from eating that I am sure I burn it off!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I try to, mostly, but failed after yesterdays bike ride...

couldn't find a category for "10,000 small crunchy flying insects" :lol:
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do. Even Tic Tacs have calories.