Running & Insanity

Options
Does anyone have a good running/insanity schedule? I am looking to keep my endurance up after my half marathon, but also want to work on shedding some lbs/inches via Insanity. I can't seem to find any schedules have any of you out there done Insanity + Running?

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Insanity helps your endurance. Especially the pure cardio ones.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I do my Insanity workouts first thing in the morning and then go for my jog afterwards.
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up my distance running with insanity. I think I may incorporate 2 runs a week a long (10+) and a short (4-6), a rest day & spread out some of the insanity workouts.
  • cansmith80
    Options
    I do Insanity first thing in the mornings and go for my runs in the afternoons. It is not easy though!
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What is an insanity workout?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Isn't insanity endurance work? I would guess insanity would be better then most programs for endurance. If you want to do this and run, make sure you are fueling your body, most likely you will need well over 2000 cals if doing insanity and running, as the lowest your intake should be on insanity is 1700 cals, so when you add running you will have to increase that.
  • spinn477
    spinn477 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My plan is a combination of Insanity, running, and gym workouts. The days I can't make it to the gym I do Insanity in the AM and go for a run after work.
  • mtnbikenut
    Options
    What is an insanity workout?

They are referring to BeachBody Insanity. It is a videoset that you can buy. Mostly involving explosive, gut wrenching workouts. They are definitely not endurance as much as they are like interval, circuit and plyometric workouts. Good stuff!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I know people who did Insanity + running... They just did them both in a day. They'd do an insanity workout in the morning and a run in the afternoon or something.

I wouldn't do that though.. insanity is mostly a cardio workout so I just would not want that much cardio. I'm doing a p90x + running hybrid, I'm going to start next week. Just waiting for my pull up bar.
  • bholmes21
    Options
    My plan is a combination of Insanity, running, and gym workouts. The days I can't make it to the gym I do Insanity in the AM and go for a run after work.

Would you be willing to share you schedule? I'd love to see something. I'm working on distance running and endurance. My weekly mileage is about 20 and I'd like to keep it there if at all possible, but I know insanity is only 2 months and has huge cardio benefits.
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    I just started Insanity this week with my husband. I'm also a runner...I have my 4th half marathon in about 5 weeks, so I definitely need to keep up my distance running as well. My plan was to do Insanity in the mornings with my husband and then run after work. My longest run during the week is 5 miles (along with 2, 3-mile runs). I'm not planning on doing Insanity on my long run days (Sunday). I don't have it all figured out yet though. I'm going to see how I feel. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • bholmes21
    Options
    I just started Insanity this week with my husband. I'm also a runner...I have my 4th half marathon in about 5 weeks, so I definitely need to keep up my distance running as well. My plan was to do Insanity in the mornings with my husband and then run after work. My longest run during the week is 5 miles (along with 2, 3-mile runs). I'm not planning on doing Insanity on my long run days (Sunday). I don't have it all figured out yet though. I'm going to see how I feel. Feel free to add me as a friend!

Thanks, I've put a request in. I have a few weeks until I start this portion. Let me know how you feel, I'll be watching :)
  • spinn477
    spinn477 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started my program last week. On the weekends I am usually able to hit the gym so I lift at the gym and do 30min of cardio and try to get a run in at least one of those days as well. During the week I can only go to the gym one or two days, so on the days I can't I do Insanity before work and then after work I get a run in. I am trying to build up my endurance as well, so my hope is that Insanity will help with that. Insanity is a 2 month program if its followed as suggested but for myself I am happy using it in conjunction with my gym workouts and running.

Good luck to you!!
  • The_Jurgen
    Options
    Last year I did a modified P90X (heavy on cardio, plyo, and cal's) with a little running mixed in some of those workouts (speed and tempo runs). I did that for 5 days a week, and then did the long run on the weekends. The long run was an add, I was already in decent shape before adding the weekend runs. I was training for a half. I was surprised how well I did on the training runs, even the day after a plyo workout. I also met my goal on the half.

I'm doing Insanity right now and have decided to run in lieu of the Cardio Recovery (light run); add a longer run once a week; keep 1 day of rest in there and just slide the Insanity schedule by a day and/or cut the fit test. I just cross out the workout on the schedule as I complete it, so if it takes me more than 63 days, so be it.

I'm two weeks into it and can tell that my core is much stronger which will pay off on the runs (less joint pain, especially @ 6'5", 238), not to mention the cardio benefit of insanity - interval training.

I just don't have the time for 2 a days, not to mention there is a risk of over-training with that methodology.

So bottomline - 6 workouts a week; Insanity 4x a week, 1 light run day, 1 heavy run day, 1 day rest.
  • dbaumgarn
    dbaumgarn Posts: 111
    Options
    I do Insanity 4 days a week and get in on average about 3 runs a week. I am in month 2 of Insanity and was pretty sore after my Insanity (I do in the early AM) yesterday, Then ran 3 miles later in the afternoon...all I can say is OUCH!! I can say that Insanity sure has improved my indurance and my speed while running though....which I LOVE!
  • dbaumgarn
    dbaumgarn Posts: 111
    Options
    I do Insanity first thing in the mornings and go for my runs in the afternoons. It is not easy though!
    [/quote

I agree. Some days are much easier then others!]
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am also going to have to figure out a schedule, I just ordered Insanity and should start next week....I like the idea of Insanity in the mornings and runs at night...I usually only do 2 3 miles runs and on Saturday a 6-7 mile run...and with Sunday my rest day I'm thinking I might only do Insanity 5 days a week! Good Luck to you!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I ran 3-4 times a week and was able to run a couple times with Insanity in the beginning but it didn't last long. Up until last week I didn't run for 6 weeks cuz Insanity kicks my a**!!!! Last week I ran instead of doing Insanity cuz I was sore and was reminded how much I love to run so I am now trying to fit in at least one run a week. I'm on Month 2 Week 3 so I'm almost done :D

Good luck everyone who's just starting. Best workout ever!!!
  • missmel4237
    Options
    The first time I tried doing both Insanity and running on the same days, I burnt out really quickly and almost severely injured myself. I have recently used insanity workouts 4 times a week and I run on the days I do not do insanity workouts. I have been thus far successful with this plan, and now that my half marathon program is about to switch to full marathon training, my days will be run 4 days and Insanity 3 days. I allow my body to recover on Insanity day #7 and I can tell you that in 4 weeks, I have lost 12 pounds. I feel great and super strong. My speed has improved tremendously! :)
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    If you wanna run to run then I would do a light one on the off day. If you want to run to keep your endurance then you really dont have to. Insanity will kick your endurance it the butt and keep it up. I completed the program and did my first run this sunday and was able to run way more than from before I did insanity.