What is the best class/exercise/machine to lift and tone you

Options
I've always been on the muscular side. I played sports my whole life and packed on the muscles. Once I gained some weight, it was fat and muscle. Since loosing over 15 pounds, I've lost alot of muscle and now I want to tone.

I've noticed my butt is flatter than it's ever been. What should I do to lift it back up again?

I like going to class but not really into doing DVD's at home like the Brazilian Butt lift. I get bored and never commit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Look into starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 or the Book New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    No such thing as toning, only building muscle and losing fat to define what you have.

Anyway, compound lifts are a great way to start off and build muscle.
    Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lifts, Bent over Rows.

As well as all body exercises/pylometrics such as
    pushups, squat jumps, box jumps, pullups, air squats, kettle bell swings
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, and deadlifts. Repeat.
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    If you gym offers a Body Pump class, I would give that a shot. I do it 2 days a week and LOVE it!! :) You can start off with a lighter weights and gradually increase and you will have great legs and arms from it and I feel like my core is so much stronger.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing about that book...is it helpful even if you are a beginner?
  • erickirb
    Options

NROL is designed for beginners and builds up to more intermediate stuff.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Yes, yes, yes! I'm a beginner and I'm learning more than I ever knew my whole life. There are modified exercises for people really new to lifting and obese people who can't totally do them properly yet until they shed some weight (that's me). Get a copy!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Bent over rows look like a really good way to hurt my back. Is there a good place to look for proper form? (and sorry for hijacking the thread)
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bent over rows look like a really good way to hurt my back. Is there a good place to look for proper form? (and sorry for hijacking the thread)

I used this method http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

No problems so far
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No such thing as toning, only building muscle and losing fat to define what you have.

Isn't that what is commonly meant by "toning"?
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Yes! I'd never done a squat in my life and never heard of a deadlift (confessed cardio junkie). I'm in the midst of Stage One and I love it.!!!

The best part of it is that I feel it is giving me the tools and information I need to lift for a long time after I finish the program (6months long). It also taught me that "toning" and "shaping" and "Lift Light, Look Like a Dancer!!" is all BS and that women should not be afraid to lift heavy. Try it and love it!
  • erickirb
    Options

essentially keep your back flat and don't rock the weigh up pull with your back. You should be able to see some forum technique on Youtube, such as : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgKzGzOqiVo
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    ChristinelovesCraig Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. However, my topic was about toning my butt. The topic line cut off the end of my sentence. :laugh:

So, any machines that work great on lifting up my butt?
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. However, my topic was about toning my butt. The topic line cut off the end of my sentence. :laugh:

It would be better to do weighted squats, lunges and dead-lifts, then any machine.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

It would be better to do weighted squats, lunges and dead-lifts, then any machine.

+1
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I think I will check it out!
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a stairmaster (the one that mimics walking upstairs) or a step aerobics class where you could add extra risers? Those would help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    here's another vote for weighted squats lunges and deadlifts. once i started doing those regular i saw huge improvements in my butt (ie being able to see that i had one) and there was good indentation between where my butt ended and my leg began. :laugh:

not sure what that space is called but i now have one when i didnt used to
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats, deadlifts, weighted lunges, squat jumps, tuck jumps, switch lunges, burpees had made my butt perkier.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump