What’s surprised you about your weight loss journey so far

Options

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That all it's really taken is patience. Yes, I had to cut down on portions and steer my food toward healthier options, but that wasn't really as hard as I expected.
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    love this topic post!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    the biggest surprise for me was the boost of my sex drive! I always had a pretty good one but now? My husband can hardly keep up! and this is only after 15 pounds! what am I gonna be like when I hit 65? O.o
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    3. When I got 20 pounds from my goal, all the rules changed and nothing that helped me lose the first 80 pounds worked anymore.

THIS is what I'm going through!! It's so confusing!
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options
    What's surprised me so far is how many people started off with me, and how few of them are still with it. Girl Scout cookies broke everyone else in my college program.

LMFAO! :laugh: Those sweet, innocent girls will get you every time! I still got some though AND still lost weight.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    8 want to read later
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    That I can do what I thought I couldn't.

I know that's simple to understand but I really thought it was impossible for me to do 20-30 regular push ups or run for an hour straight or complete p90x. But I've done all 3 of those. It's amazing how your mind can get you to believe something for YEARS.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    1. People will tell you you're doing it wrong even if you have years of results.
    2. People who are unhealthier than you and can't even run a mile will give you tons of advice you didn't ask for.
    3. When you reach your goal you actually feel a sense of loss.(pun)
    4. Friends will be the first to support you and be the first to let you down.
    5. People on MFP fit both category 2 and 4.
    6.Having cheat meals don't make you gain weight most of the time but makes you want to cheat again which can lead to weight gain.
    7. Excercising is fun.
    8. TDEE, BMR,BMI, HRM all mean very little to me.
    9. Cardio is a great stress reliever..
    10. Everyone has the secret.

I guess not all of these are surprises but things I learned.

This for me too - Great list!
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    that upping calories worked and blew me through a plateau!
    The insane amount of motivation and perserverance I have
    The ridiculous amount of support hubby has given me
    that I feel completely changed and different, but very few people around me notice or comment.
    that I am already stronger than I ever thought possible and will only continue getting stronger (not only physically)
    that I am worth it!
    that I will do this!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Just how oh so very easy it is to pile it on once you switch to maintenance..
  • krocksa
    krocksa Posts: 32
    Options
    That it is much harder than I thought. I was always a healthy eater and avid exerciser, but dropping that last 20 lbs after my 3rd baby and at 42yo - really a whole different story than ever before. I thought it would be easy as it usually was. The rules have changed and I am still trying to figure it out. But along the way so far I have learned:

1) I am a hell of a lot stronger and in much better shape than some of my younger, skinnier, gym friends. I can usually kick their *kitten*! :happy:
    2) I have both more and less energy. i have no idea how that happens.
    3) I LOVE having time to myself to just exercise and get all my frustrations out of my system. It makes me a better mom and wife, even if I don't lose pounds.
    4) My children love and eat the healthy foods we grow in our own garden
    5) My boys, 9 and 6, can do Superman push-ups like a pro - with noses to the ground!
    6) I have made many friends along this journey, and those I had before are still with me and supportive
    7) Even tho I am currently at no weight loss, I love the journey and I won't stop. Because it's no longer about the weight loss. It's about how I feel and how successful I am in life in general that matters.
    8) Of course, I'd love to get in my size 8's again! :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bump this amazing fraking thread
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OP here - wasn't expecting such a great response to this thread; love reading everyone's answers!

One little thing I learned recently when I had my very first loss - seeing that new smaller number on the scales feels bloody AMAZING!
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Great post - thanks!
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Great post - bump
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    How strong I have become. I mean I can bump into things and the object no matter how big it is shakes as if frightened. Its an awesome feeling lol
  • ksraider
    ksraider Posts: 107
    Options
    That at 50 I can out walk my 28 year old daughter. And she knows it.
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    LoL I've noticed a change myself after 20 lbs. My hubby is so happy LoL

I want to add to my list!! I've learned since I read this thread that I am not alone!! That there are people who understand my struggle and have had victory and THAT gives me hope

THanks to all of you for sharing!!
  • Lilkp22
    Lilkp22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bump!