Eat more fat

Options

Replies

• mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    My beef with canola so to speak is that it's high in Omega 6 and has to be highly processed to get to its oil state. It's actually an acronym... CANadian Oil Low Acid, refined from the rapeseed (grain), commonly grown on Canadian plains.

Other oils, olive, walnut, coconut, palm (but NOT the hydrogenated or refined sort!) are produced with far less processing and are not as high in Omega 6. I think for some the jury is out on polyunsaturated oils, but I try to avoid them (usually canola, veggie, corn, sunflower) when possible. They're common in the States as they're cheaply obtained but tend to be highly processed. That's really up to you the consumer, though. One thing to watch out for with any oil is the heat to which you use it and its shelf age. Oil, in unsaturated form (liquid) does go rancid and needs to be used within a span of time. EVOO is good as dressing or unheated topping. As for heating, I go with a more hearty olive oil, palm or coconut oil.

As for coconut oil, it's quite handy. I really like to use it for higher heat applications - sauteeing or browning meats, nuts, vegetables in a skillet or wok. When cooking meat with the skin, it's not necessary to use much oil, maybe only a light coating, if that.

One really awesome use for coconut or palm oil is to stir fry cauliflower and broccoli in it. It gives it a rich, toasty taste. Throw on a tiny smidge of sea salt and mmmm... good side to any dinner. It's very common in southern Indian cooking. They are very fond of the coconut and believe it contributes highly to good skin and hair tone and texture.

I've also cooked with ghee and at times cook my eggs or vegetables in remaining tallow or animal fat in the pan, old-fashioned style. Some have worked with bits of natural lard, but I haven't gotten that daring yet.

As for meat, haha, know your cuts and you'll be able to determine fat content fairly well. Although, I have noticed grass fed / free range sorts of beef tend to be of a leaner cut. If you buy a side of beef from a local farm, I will tell you now it's absolutely worth every penny and can certainly last a couple seasons (depending on your beef intake of course!)

Beef, be it grass or grain fed will have veins of fat and gristle. Ground beef incorporates this into its mix, the higher the lean percentage, the less fat obviously. Chicken and other poultry is the source of a light, chewy skin. As are frogs' legs. Bacon or other pork products are similar to beef in that their fat content highly varies by cut. Wild game such as deer, elk, snake (you better believe it), rabbit tend to be a greater source of leaner meat. You really need to be careful cooking these as they may tend to dry out. They also make awesome jerky. Bison is a great alternative to regular beef as it is typically much leaner and has a darker, richer texture. Lamb and goat tend to have a bit of a pungent taste, with marbles/veins of thin fat stores. It should be eaten RIGHT AFTER cooking or it will lose its good flavor, IMO.
  • mrd232
    Options
    Bump bumpity bump.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Keep bumping this up.
  • mrd232
    Options
    I used some rendered bacon fat to cook my omelette this morning.

Heck yes.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I used some rendered bacon fat to cook my omelette this morning.

Heck yes.

I haven't rendered bacon fat in a couple of years.

I use a LOT of coconut oil to keep the yeast monster at bay. I am a yeasty beasty person if I don't get a lot of coconut oil in, it kills it off to a point I have no symptoms as I can not do the Candida Diet - it is way to strict.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Aw for cryin out loud...

Now I want bacon :love: :love: :love:

You guys created a monster. A Bacon Monster. lol
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Guess what I had for breakfast- BACON. Tasty full fat juicy bacon.

I:heart: Fat

i think im gonna have some! i totally banished it to the back of my freezer!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!! (now i dont need to eat eggs haha)
  • mrd232
    Options
    Best kind I've found is 'cottage' thick-cut bacon from a pork farm back home. However, I don't live there anymore. My new staple is Wegmans uncured bacon. It has a rich, smoky flavor. Honestly tho, a little bacon goes a long way. I like to cook it with seafood.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Kroger has a lower-sodium no sugar added bacon on sale right now 2 for 5 dollars. I love Wegmans' meats, we just can't afford them right now. :embarassed:

The Kroger one has nitrates tho- booooo!

I like making a breakfast egg/bacon/spinach thing. I take three eggs, 1/8c milk, 1 slice bacon-diced, 1 cup spinach and mix it up in a very small baking dish with a bit of garlic. Cook it for 35 minutes and voila. Deeelish.
  • oatmealie
    oatmealie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The more I hear about coconut oil, the more I want to get some!

Does it taste 'coconutty'? Does it work well in baking?
  • mrd232
    Options
    The more I hear about coconut oil, the more I want to get some!

Does it taste 'coconutty'? Does it work well in baking?

I haven't used it in any baking, but it's awesome for sauteeing veggies and meats. I really like to sautee up some cauliflower in it. It has a rich, nutty aroma, IMO.

It's also really good to use if you roast almonds/walnuts or home made trail mix. Coat the mix in a little bit of coconut oil, put it on a cookie sheet on low-ish heat, roast... Mmmm... very good.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    How does coconut oil rate on the cholesteral scale? As good as olive oil?
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What else can you cook in coconut oil? any ideas?
  • mrd232
    Options
    How does coconut oil rate on the cholesteral scale? As good as olive oil?

0% cholesterol according to my handy jar nearby. I think coconut oil consists namely of medium-chain triglycerides.

Here is an interesting blogpost I found yesterday regarding coconut oil:

http://freetheanimal.com/2009/08/alzheimers-and-ketone-bodies-from-coconut-oil.html
  • mrd232
    Options
    Plaintains fried in coconut oil are good.

It works well for any high heat applications and if liquified could probably also be used in baking.

I've been meaning to try some of the recipes on this site for it but haven't yet:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/334903-coconut-oil-recipes-ideas.html
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You have to read on some coconut oil to see how it is processed. I buy my by the vitamins not by the other cooking oils.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Best kind I've found is 'cottage' thick-cut bacon from a pork farm back home. However, I don't live there anymore. My new staple is Wegmans uncured bacon. It has a rich, smoky flavor. Honestly tho, a little bacon goes a long way. I like to cook it with seafood.

I am lucky in regards to meat. We ordered a side of pork and a side of beef. One of my mom's child hood friends now lives on a farm and raises chickens so I get fresh chicken that is free range and eggs from her too...........

I get the best slab bacon that is uncured and mmmmmm, the taste is fantastic!!!

I get veggies from my Neighborhood Coop and farmers markets.

It looks like I will be a carnivore for the winter as I am going to go back to the way I was raised this fall and winter. I will only purchase veggies and fruits that I can get locally.

Will eat lots of pumpkin and other squashes. I have some berries frozen for the winter, so I will have some of those too.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    What else can you cook in coconut oil? any ideas?

I make my low carb brownies with coconut oil instead of butter and also use it when I make low carb granola, which I posted recipes for several yesterday.

Here are the links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61026-low-carb-brownie-recipe?hl=low+carb+brownies#posts-733892

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63131-low-carb-and-organic-granola-recipes
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    You have to read on some coconut oil to see how it is processed. I buy my by the vitamins not by the other cooking oils.

Yep, that is correct. That LuAnn stuff that Wal-Mart sells should be outlawed. I think I read some where that it is partially hydrogenized, which makes it a tub of trans fat they are selling on the shelf.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • mrd232
    Options

Yep, that is correct. That LuAnn stuff that Wal-Mart sells should be outlawed. I think I read some where that it is partially hydrogenized, which makes it a tub of trans fat they are selling on the shelf.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're right. General recommendation is to go with unrefined. Nutivia and Spectrum organics are both good unrefined choices. They're available at most health food stores and some larger chains - Giant, Giant Eagle, Wegmans (I live in PA).