How to become a runner.... for dummies (HELP)

Options
I'd like to become a runner. I'm a walker right now and I want to know the best way to start out. I have flat feet and my main problem is that when I try and run they hurt. I'm thinking some good shoes will combat this, but I'm looking for tips from people who haven't always been runners but have turned into them. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner...even as a relatively healthy kid! In fact, I can now run farther than I could in 4th grade LOL.

What I've learned...GO SLOWLY. Even C25K was too 'fast' for me as I started developing shin splints. I too have flat feet and have always had to use orthotics in my workout shoes. I started out with SUPER comfy KSwiss Tubes with my orthotics. But then I developed shin splints. Went to a running store to get fitted and after trying another pair (and then returning) I'm really liking my Nike Zoom Structure shoes. I ran last night with no shin pain!

So, go slowly, and get fitted for good running shoes for over-pronators (which is what usually happens with people with flat feet but they can tell for sure if you're over-pronating).
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Congrats on your success by the way. Hopefully that can be me someday :) I tried C25K and I also developed shin splints. Glad it's not just me.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store and spend the money. They'll help you find the inserts that you need to combat your foot issues. Your shoes are your most important tool for running. Don't be afraid of spending the money if you really want to be a runner! Good luck!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    good info. im also a flat-footed runner wanna be. have the same problems with my feet hurting in my shoes.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest reading a book about good running form. "Chi Running" helped me a lot. There are exercises and things to think about before you start running that will help your form and help prevent injury.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    In addition to the C2K program (and don't for a minute feel bad about going slowly or repeating days or even weeks!), I would also recommend getting a good pair of shoes. Ideally find a running store that will film your feet while you walk/jog on a treadmill. They will help you find the shoes that fit your particular gait and make your running life *much* easier. :)
  • phillieschic
    Options
    On the flip side, I LOVE C25K! You can go as slow or fast as you want and make the program work for you. If you make it thorugh week 1 with no problems, week 2 will be good! But, if you struggle through week 1, then re-do the week until you're comfortable. And so on through the weeks...at YOUR pace.

There are no rules except the ones YOU make.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, C25k to ease into it, don't be afraid to go slowly or walk when needed, and just KEEP GOING. That's it. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are all my beginner's running tips in one place:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

To reiterate what another poster said, "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!"

If you're committed to being a runner, it's absolutely a great idea to get fitted for shoes, Depending on the degree of your flat feet, you may not need orthotics, just the right off-the-0shelf shoe.

Your running style also has a lot to do with discomfort. Deliberate heel landing can be quite jarring. Try letting your foot swing naturally forward to land under (not in front) of you on the mid-foot.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Run your butt off" Its a run/walk program a bit like C25k.
    I really liked the program.
    I second the comment about investing in a good pair of shoes:)
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    yep concur with most posts, go slow, build slow, no goals/ targets as such, just go further when your ready. Oh warm up and down, no matter how silly you look. Have gait analysed, good shoes very important! Good luck!

A tip for you. If your think your running too fast then you are, if you think your running too slowly then your running at the right pace.
  • kimdrobison
    Options
    Good shoes are key...definitely worth the money. Check out Jeff Galloway online. His training program is based on a run/walk. I believe the training schedule starts with running 5 seconds and then walking 55 seconds. I am not a natural runner. It has been very difficult for me. Using this plan I have run 5 half marathons, a full marathon, and am currently training for a full marathon, two half marathons, and a ragnar. It works. I still walk/run....and love it! Good luck, and stick with it. You can do it.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My feet were hurting, I spent $$ on good shoes, you wouldn't believe the difference a good pair of shoes can make! As for C25K, it's a great program when you figure out what's best for you! Don't be afraid to repeat days and/or weeks, I repeated some:bigsmile: Glad I did too! I go slow, and I've made it to Week 5 and loving it:bigsmile: Good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    A few other people said this and I want to reiterate:

Go to a running shoe store and get fitted for shoes. Don't go to a sports store. Go to a store that specifically deals with runners like Fleet Feet or something similar. They will put you on a treadmill, assess your gait and then give you the shoe that is meant for you and your specific running style. I suffered in the wrong running shoes until my friend took me to Fleet Feet and I got fitted. I have never gone to any other store for my running shoes.

Start out slow. Do a slow jog/walk combo like maybe walk for 3 minutes, jog for 2 or however long you can jog and you feel comfortable doing it for and build up to it. Everyone had to start out some where so just go slow and steady. I've been running for quite a while now but when I started out the first time I ran a mile without stopping to walk was the greatest day ever!!

Also just one thing to note about running: You're either going to love it or you're going to hate it. It's not for everyone.

Good luck and Happy Running!!
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Walking leads to running. C25K is an awesome awesome program. I have an Android so the app I use is RunDouble C25k, but there are tons and tons of others for both Android and iPhone. Also google Jeff Galloway--I run using this method a lot. Also, some great advice I received from one of the ladies I run with was to stop running BEFORE you get fatigued. It sounds crazy, but I swear it has changed the length of my run tremendously.

Also, running with a group or partner helps a TON. I run with a local group of ladies and it is super fun.

Take it easy as well. Get fitted for the proper shoes. Find a specialty running store and ask tons of questions. Also, buy the best equipment for you. It makes a HUGE difference.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was also NEVER a runner, but knew I had to do some serious cardio to burn some calories.

I love the Couch-to-5K (C25K) program. If you haven't read about it, you should look it up. It's a 9 week program, 3x a week.... it starts you out walking with some running mixed in... and it builds up your running time to 30 minutes. I completed C25K in early December, and ran my first 5K 3 days later. Now... my longest run has been 8.25 miles!!!!! My advice when doing C25K.... go as slow as you have to. If you are too winded, you are probably going to fast.... slow down. You likely will NOT be running 10 minute miles... and that's OK. Go at your own pace and repeat weeks if you have to.

And as others have said... I would definitely go to a reputable running store and get your feet analyzed and get fitted for some shoes that fit you and your foot. It makes all the difference. I tried on about 10 pair before I found the ones that worked for me... and those happen to be Men's shoes too!!!! They just fit my foot better!

Also check out Runnersworld.com and Active.com.... they have lots of great articles for beginning runners.

Good luck... I'm sure you'll do great!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with being fitted for running shoes, never been a runner even in school . It started for me with 2 min on a treadmill i had shin splints so left the treadmill alone and built up my fitness level on a cross trainer then after a few weeks tried the treadmill again and the shin splints came back

At this stage i was challenged by a young lady from New Jersey to become her on line running buddy as she was looking to do C25K on a treadmill also

I decided to get running shoes fitted and found out i pronate when i run so kitted out with my new shoes i began the C25K
    journey, in week 5 run3 it said i had to run for 20min and i thought no F###### way am i gona be able to run 20 min

As the 20min mark came up i realised i felt good so decided to add on a further 5min then another 5 min which would equal running for 30min and thats when i noticed on the clock that i had done almost 4K so decided to go for the 5K

I since completed a few 5ks on the treadmill and decided to take my run outside.....................total fail i managed 2min of running and then realised i was going to fast

i have since done my 5K outside and also upped it to 2x 10K runs one last Sunday and one the Sunday previous

If I can do this anyone can i started out at 315lb and am now around 259 lb not all of my weight loss is on my ticker as I've only managed 28lbs since joining MFP

Im hoping that will change a bit with my 10k runs :-)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k!

Main thing is take it slow. I tried to get into a running a few times in the last couple of years and I never followed any schedule, I would just go out and start running as far as I could. I got burnt out on it and quit every time. Right now I'm in week 3 of couch to 5k and I love it! I can tell I'm getting better at running and I have better endurance.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I recommend an HRM too. I love mine and find I'm burning far MORE calories than my treadmill or MFP said I was (due to my low fitness level and weight LOL). Also, I can see from workout to workout how my heart rate is DROPPING. Seriously, every time I run it's lower! I'm a numbers person so it's awesome to see actual numeric progress. I run on a treadmill (while children are in bed) so I also have an easy way to set my pace and measure my progress. When I'm feeling tired and not sure I can make the whole running segment I'm on, I look at my heart rate. I know the level my heart rate gets to when I really can't make it, so if it's lower than that, I know I'm just being lazy LOL.

The guy I talked to at the running store suggested staying on each level of C25K for THREE weeks rather than 1. I'm thinking that' probably a good suggestion so I've gone backwards in my program to build up to the higher levels muscle wise, not just cardio wise. This should really help with the shin splints.
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    You guys are great! I live in the boonies so we have no running stores around here. Luckily, Friday I'm headed into the "big city" so I'm going to treat myself and go to the feet store. I will definately check out those programs you suggested. Thanks!