Question about eating before working out. What??

Options
So I have started the Couch to 5K program and a few people have told me I should eat about 30 min before working out to get more stamina. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should eat? I really dont want to go the Red Bull or 5hr energy drink way. I am not a fan. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bananas are quite good for energy and only small so it's not like your eating a massive meal before working out
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yogurt and Weight Watchers string cheese some times. A protein bar is also good.
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    I was thinking bananas too but wasnt sure. I dont want anything massive but just a little something to see if it truly does help.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    One sliced of whole wheat bread and 2 tbsp of your choice of peanut butter.
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had heard that when you exercise, you shouldn't eat less than 30 mins before or after the workout and only drink water. I don't know if that helps but it is what I read somewhere :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I saw this on another thread and thought it was helpful:
    http://www.greatist.com/health/the-complete-guide-to-workout-nutrition/#
  • echandle12
    Options
    before-1/2 a sandwich thin and 1 tablespoon peanut butter (if allergies sunbutter) I don't like anything heavy so I spread it really thin
    after- Protein: cottage cheese and fruit, eggs, protein shake
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit is great. I usually have fruit before because I need something but I can't eat much early in the a.m. Then I'll have a protein smoothie with fruit after when I'm more awake. Most of the time it keeps me full until lunch. Half a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat/grain bread is good too or fat free chocolate milk.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Really, for just starting C25K, you don't really need to eat or do anything special. Or eat anything at all. I did most of my early running (30 minutes or less) on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'd wake up, drink a glass of water and go. Now that I'm regularly running 4-8 miles I'll make sure to have a little something before I go and then have jelly beans or some other quick carb food every 30 minutes during my run.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options

THIS!

AND, very important...DO NOT EAT ANYTHING HIGH IN FIBER BEFORE A RUN. Unless you want to hide in the woods to take care of business if you know what I mean! I run long runs once a week (10+) and have learned that lesson. Stick with something that has good amount of protein and carbs. Runners World suggests oatmeal but I disagree. Even that has too much fiber for me. My best bet for long runs is a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast then run about an hour later.

ADD: I do consume a lot of calories for breakfast on long run days, so if you're not running that long, perhaps cut that amount in half that I mentioned. :-)
  • petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, just do whatever you think is going to make you feel the best during your workout. I cannot eat within an hour of my workouts without feeling sick.

Whatever you eat, make sure it's a combination of carbs and protein. Half piece of bread with a slice of turkey or PB is a good idea...or maybe a handful of almonds
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eating before exercise is controversial: Some folks swear by it, some folks swear it's better to wait. If I'm working out for an hour or less, I don't worry about "fueling" my workout, but if I'm planning a long run or two back-to-back classes at the gym, I'll usually have a piece of toast with peanut butter and half a banana sliced on top. I find it to be the perfect mix of protein, fat and carbs that will carry me right through a long workout.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym after work, so I stop by my house and grab a small apple and (this might sound weird) but I keep these frozen beef chunks or grilled chicken chunks that I can pop in the microwave and have as a snack (or put on a salad for dinner, yum!). That little apple gives me the sugar and carbs I need, plus the beef or chicken is a nice filling protein snack that isn't too heavy on my stomach. Gives me just the right amount of energy I need! Then I ALWAYS follow up my workout with a protein shake (Muscle Milk light and EAS Carb Advantage are my favs, high in protein, super low in sugar).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could eat pretty much anything that gives you fuel. I eat a granola bar. And only because I get lightheaded if I don't. If you don't want to eat before working out, don't.
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    carbs and protein are the best things to eat before working out. carbs give you the boost of energy you need, while protein helps build muscle and repair them after a workout. i usually have an apple (carbs and fiber!) and some peanut butter or sunbutter (protein and some carbs!) or even an apple and some string cheese....i love fruits so if you like bananas, by all means have one. but i would suggest staying away from eating them too often as they are VERY high in sugar. good luck!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

THIS!

AND, very important...DO NOT EAT ANYTHING HIGH IN FIBER BEFORE A RUN. Unless you want to hide in the woods to take care of business if you know what I mean! I run long runs once a week (10+) and have learned that lesson. Stick with something that has good amount of protein and carbs. Runners World suggests oatmeal but I disagree. Even that has too much fiber for me. My best bet for long runs is a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast then run about an hour later.

THIS!!! For me, I personally have to eat something....I have the worst case of nausea if I don't....ruins my workout. I never eat a big meal, just something small enough to get you going! :)
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had heard that when you exercise, you shouldn't eat less than 30 mins before or after the workout and only drink water. I don't know if that helps but it is what I read somewhere :)

You should definitely be eating right after you work out. For example, having a simple carb or some protein within TEN minutes of finishing strength training is optimal. Your body needs to refuel as soon as you're done working out and it's best to give it nutrients right away.
  • harkis
    harkis Posts: 14
    Options
    I prefer the empty stomach workout. Digestion sucks up a lot of energy.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    before I run I always eat either banana, peanut butter, or protein bar.
    I always wait 1 hr after I eat before I run, if not I can feel the food sloshing around in my stomach! It makes me want to vomit! :noway:

and I always eat protein within 30 mins after my run.