Question about eating before working out. What??

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    One sliced of whole wheat bread and 2 tbsp of your choice of peanut butter.

THIS!

AND, very important...DO NOT EAT ANYTHING HIGH IN FIBER BEFORE A RUN. Unless you want to hide in the woods to take care of business if you know what I mean! I run long runs once a week (10+) and have learned that lesson. Stick with something that has good amount of protein and carbs. Runners World suggests oatmeal but I disagree. Even that has too much fiber for me. My best bet for long runs is a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast then run about an hour later.

ADD: I do consume a lot of calories for breakfast on long run days, so if you're not running that long, perhaps cut that amount in half that I mentioned. :-)

SO true! I actually can't do a banana before long runs, it has the dreaded fiber affect on me. I stick to half a bagel with some peanut butter and a couple slices of turkey bacon (or something like that) before long morning runs, I can't have too much on my stomach before those.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I work out like an hour after breakfast. lol
  • plhv19
    plhv19 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A little protein and carbs before, and protein, carbs, and salt (if it's a long cardio workout) are after. I usually try to get in about 150 calories before a workout. The suggestions here are good (nuts, fruit, whole grains). Some people can't handle dairy before a run, so watch out for that.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So I have started the Couch to 5K program and a few people have told me I should eat about 30 min before working out to get more stamina. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should eat? I really dont want to go the Red Bull or 5hr energy drink way. I am not a fan. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I usually will have a snack like a protein bar or drink beforehand. I'm usually hungry after a work out, so I save the meals until afterwards.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I saw this on another thread and thought it was helpful:
    http://www.greatist.com/health/the-complete-guide-to-workout-nutrition/#

Excellent!!! this is just what i needed! Thanks
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I do workout after work and usually do not eat before working out. I may add the banana or the piece of bread with light spread of peanut butter and see if that helps. I am just starting out so I may need to change around after I keep it up.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

THIS!

AND, very important...DO NOT EAT ANYTHING HIGH IN FIBER BEFORE A RUN. Unless you want to hide in the woods to take care of business if you know what I mean! I run long runs once a week (10+) and have learned that lesson. Stick with something that has good amount of protein and carbs. Runners World suggests oatmeal but I disagree. Even that has too much fiber for me. My best bet for long runs is a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast then run about an hour later.

ADD: I do consume a lot of calories for breakfast on long run days, so if you're not running that long, perhaps cut that amount in half that I mentioned. :-)

SO true! I actually can't do a banana before long runs, it has the dreaded fiber affect on me. I stick to half a bagel with some peanut butter and a couple slices of turkey bacon (or something like that) before long morning runs, I can't have too much on my stomach before those.

Yup. Having a lot of fiber before working out is also bad because it slows digestion, which is great any other time of day, but when you're going to workout you need your body to get those nutrients quick if you're gonna eat beforehand.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting a new program!

I would recommend the following;
    -pre workout powder
    -protein shake
    -bananna w/spoon of healthy pb
    -egg whites
    -lotsa water
    -protein bar

These are just a few of my favs!

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I was thinking bananas too but wasnt sure. I dont want anything massive but just a little something to see if it truly does help.

you could start with half a banana and see if that helps. Do you normally run on an empty stomach?

Before I run, I eat a banana or protein bar (usually a Luna bar) anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours before my workout. It seems to help.

Once you start getting into longer runs, watch out for anything that is high fiber...that can be hard on the stomach!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I was doing C25K I always had a small banana and a string cheese before hand. I try to find something with protein before I workout now though. Something light.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    A glass of OJ is my go-to running fuel. When I run in the mornings I do so before breakfast so I drink oj. Last week I forgot and my run was awfully hard.

In the evenings I run before my evening meal but on 5-6 small meals a day I have the energy to do so
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I take my amino acid pills 30 minutes before a workout, seems to help with endurance and get a better calorie burn.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I use my Herbalife 24 prepare before my work out gives me a boost before my work out I cannot eat before I work out. It makes me sick so as soon as I am done I use my other Herbalife products such and Herbalife 24 Sport and rebuild and rebuild endurance.

To be honest it is really up to you and how you feel while working out on a full stomach I know if I did that I would be sick. Some suggest eating a banana which is good but bananas are high in sugar which can lead to ones feet hurting as well. Just play around with your food and see what works best for you. I know what works for me and it is my Herbalife 24 products from Herbalife.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Some ideas of pre-workout "meals" (cardio & strength training):
    http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/nutrition/other/preworkout-fuel
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just to throw my hat in the ring, I eat my breakfast before working out (so a bowl of cereal with semi skimmed milk, a small banana and a glass of orange juice) but I leave it half hour between finishing eating and starting my workout. I find it's long enough to get energy in my but also long enough so I don't feel sick when jiggling around and doing crunches!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I have started the Couch to 5K program and a few people have told me I should eat about 30 min before working out to get more stamina. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should eat? I really dont want to go the Red Bull or 5hr energy drink way. I am not a fan. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stamina for a short run won't be an issue - unless you are constantly running your glucose stores down by making that your primary source of energy.

How do you do that? - eat carbs all the time and keep your insulin elevated, that puts you into fat storage mode, so you don't use the fat for energy until carbs you ate are used and insulin drops back down.

But if you had not had an insulin spike, you probably would have burned 40-50% fat as energy, making your existing carb stores last even longer.

Some people put their systems into such carb burning mode you literally must keep it up or you will run out and hit the wall.
    I've trained with people that have managed to make themselves "hit the wall" after only 45 min. That means you ran out of glucose in the liver, blood sugar has to go up to feed the brain, so muscle is going to get broken down for conversion. The muscles still have glucose in them at least, but that can't be put into the bloodstream for blood sugar for the brain.
    You can usually literally feel this. Usually it happens on marathons by recreational runners going to fast, in which case you have actually run out of glucose in the muscles too, so now the muscle breakdown is for general energy use in addition to fat being used.

There is easy way, there is hard way. For short distance and effort, you can do it the hard way without any ill effects. By why?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Do you workout first thing in the morning? If so, then you do need to eat first. A yogurt, some toast with butter, cereal, banana...it's up to you.

If you workout in the afternoon or evening and you've eaten during the day, you don't need to make yourself eat again half an hour before working out. Personally, I feel like crap if I eat anything less than an hour before working out. I might have a light snack 1-2 hours prior depending on how I'm feeling, but by the time I workout, I've eaten enough calories in the day to keep me going for a good while.

Everybody's different. I feel awful if I eat peanut butter before working out, but for some people, it works.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    add 1/2 a banana sliced on top of this and you'll be good to go
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    add 1/2 a banana sliced on top of this and you'll be good to go

The BEST pre-workout snack!