How often do you buy new workout shoes?

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
I think I've had mine for about 6 months, and I am thinkin it's time to buy new ones.... The heels of the shoe feel fine but where the balls of my feet hit and, well, the whole top part of my foot, it's feelin pretty worn....

Should they have lasted me longer? How long do your shoes last?

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    Options
    bump
  • Mischelina
    Mischelina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What kind do you have? I've noticed that some just last longer than others. I just got some K-Swiss tubes this past weekend and I love how light and bouncy they are. I'm mainly a Converse gal, but those just don't have the support for working out.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    Asaics (I think that's how they are spelled)... They were really comfy, but lately I've noticed like my toes against the liner on the bottom...

I tried on those KSwiss ones, they didn't seem like they had that much support... You are liking them though?
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Running shoes should be changed every 200-300 miles, depending on the brand. If you can take your running shoes and bend them backwards so the heel and toe meet without little resistance, its time to change.

I have been also told that if you are a big runner, say running 4-5 times a week you should have at least 2 or 3 pairs of running shoes going at one time and never wear the same pair 2 days in a row - switch them out every other day.

While running is a cheap form of exercise, meaning no gym membership required, running shoes can be expensive. I usually go to my running store and get fitted for a pair and then buy the additional pairs at DSW or something like that.
  • Mischelina
    Mischelina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only had them 4 days but they are what I wear whenever I'm not at work. They feel very supportive -- they have the bigger tubes, not the micro tubes, which I don't see how those would make any difference. I got the Jillian Michaels for Amazon pair in the crazy green and yellow (I love the funky colors). She wears them in her Killer Buns DVD. I didn't get them b/c of JM...they just happened to be $30 less than the ones in a different color that I tried on locally before I got them on Amazon.

They're running shoes, but I don't run in them...I work out in them, currently doing JM's 30-day Shred. So I guess instead of mileage I'll buy new ones whenever these feel worn out, like yours.
    Asaics (I think that's how they are spelled)... They were really comfy, but lately I've noticed like my toes against the liner on the bottom...

I tried on those KSwiss ones, they didn't seem like they had that much support... You are liking them though?
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do is put in new athletic insoles....I've found this helps prolong the life of the shoes...cheaper than buying a new pair of shoes too! However, I do buy good athletic insoles - and I can always tell a good - big difference when I do.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you exercise a lot, 6 months is really good. I'm kind of a gym shoe junkie, different shoe for different things. I have my cycling shoes (relatively long life ~ 2years with spd's), running shoes, Brooke's, every 200/300 miles or 6-7 months which ever comes first (if my hip aches this is usually the culprit-new shoes are cheaper than doctors visits), then gym shoes, New Balance, for random cardio & lifting these I change out when I notice the tread wearing also about 6-7 months. Of course I'm also cheap so my old runners go to spin class & gym shoes become everyday shoes, then the everyday shoes get relegated to lawn shoes after which they need to be burned.

Find what you like that fits well. It is definitely worth paying specialty shoe prices if the shop has a guy/gal for initial fit. A good shoe guy/gal he can give suggestions on best type and fit for your foot and desired exercise based on wear patterns on old shoes so make sure you wear your old ones in if you are going to be fitted.

Good luck!