Blood, Sweat & Lipstick.....looking good at the gym..

Options
amymarie8709
amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
I just read this article and LOVE it!!:love: This is exactly how I feel when I'm at the gym. I don't bother with make-up myself.:ohwell:
How many of you decide to get "dressed up" to workout?
if you haven't guessed, this is mainly directed towards the ladies. :wink:

Blood, Sweat, & Lipstick
Hope Nagy | April 2, 2012
There’s a saying that “If you look good after your workout, than you didn’t work out hard enough.” Wait a second, I don’t look good before my workout! When I saw this months topic for PhillyHealthWatch.com I had to laugh. You want me, Ms. roll out of bed at 4am, who dresses in the dark, leaves the house with messy hair, no make-up, and has not once but twice arrived at the gym with two different sneakers on, to talk about looking good while working out? Please, my sides hurt from laughing. I can’t be bothered with hair and make-up for the gym. I have to pack school lunches, sign school papers, leave notes for my kids to let the dog out, check e-mails and of course play on Facebook. I don’t have time for lip gloss and mascara because I’m too busy looking for a ponytail holder that can twist three times and not break.

Several years ago when I was about to enter the dating scene again, my best friend looked at me and said, “you have to meet a guy in the gym or on the bike trail. If he stays with you then it’s true love.” What was she saying? If a guy finds me even remotely attractive when I’m sweaty or muddy then he’s a saint? If he is not grossed out by my body’s amazing cooling system then he’s a keeper? My children, on the other hand, put it much more nicely when I walk into the house after teaching spin, mountain biking or lifting….”Mom, your gross!”

There was a time when I did look cute at the gym. It was in the fabulous 80’s. My college roommate was dating a competitive body builder. It was at his suggestion that I come to the gym because it was a great place to meet “dudes”. So I went with my Farrah Fawcett hair, my Maybeline mask, Richard Simmons style shorts, tank top and of course my high top Reeboks with scrunched down socks. I went from machine to machine,with my Sony Walkman blasting “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins, doing nothing but giggling with my roommate, looking at the guys and playing with my hair. I then found myself joining a gym at the Jersey shore so that even on summer break I could work out. I graduated college and even though I worked overnights at a radio station I still dragged my tired butt to step class. Still looking cute I then graduated to a leotard and lycra shorts underneath combo. Picture Olivia Newton John getting physical minus the headband. I guess it was a gradual thing but as I got in better shape and became more serious about working out, I began to care less and less about what I wore to the gym and increasingly more focused on the muscles that I was working and seeing them contract in the mirror. Example: if I’m working back, then my top is strappy, If I’m working legs, I try to wear shorts. I tell my clients when we train to stop wearing baggy clothes and actually see the muscles working. Don’t get the wrong impression, I have all the cute clothes from LuLu Lemon, I protect my house in Under Armour, and I “Just Do it” in Nike. I have more sneakers than heels, and enough jog bras to smush a million boobs. But when I leave to go exercise I really only care about making sure my iPod is charged and my headphones work. I just don’t get the lipstick thing, or when a woman says she can’t go anywhere without her lipstick on. I see women at the gym in full make-up and beautifully coiffed hair everyday. But that’s just not me and never will be. I’m the spin instructor with a bucket of sweat under my bike who looks like she just got done swimming the English Channel. It’s great, once a week after one of my spin classes I get to walk by the 76er’s dancers who practice at Sweat Gym. A sea of gorgeous young girls. But I am so high on the endorphins from having a great workout that it doesn’t bother me. At that moment I am envious of their youth, not their hair and make-up.

When I did the on-line dating thing I made sure to say the following…. I mountain bike and get muddy, I sweat at the gym, I go into the ocean, get my hair wet and I color outside the lines…….but I clean up really well. People who see me outside of the gym either don’t recognize me or say, you look good I hardly recognized you. I better look good, I bust my *kitten* in the gym to look good outside of the gym!

A few summers ago, standing in Memories of Margate grooving to the “Geator with the Heater, in my tight jeans, sexy top and hooker heels a guy approached me. Assuming I worked out by my arms, he used this as an excuse to start up a conversation. “Yo, you work out?” I like to say “no” when asked this question. I think I’m funny. When he asked for my number I made it clear….”this is a costume I am wearing.” Our first date was trail running. I sweated like a pig, wore no make up, and he called again. I will tell you that make-up less, mismatched and glistening (ok sweating) at the gym I have been hit on more than outside the gym. Many guys have told me who have met girls at the gym say that’s the best place because you get to see what they really look like. So I would like to say that this article I was asked to write is about feeling good on the inside, but I would be a liar if I say I don’t care what I look like on the outside. Sure I do. We are all a little vain, but there’s another great quote I keep in mind and that is “Sometime’s you have to sweat like a pig to look like a fox.” Amen to all the strong, sexy, sweaty girls working it.

Replies

• Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is ME to a T.....VERY well written. I also have a morning routine that consists of searching high and low for a decent pony tail holder! Makeup schmakeup! I look like a hot mess at the gym before I even step on the elliptical!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I absolutely loved this!!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If anyone can find a way to look good after a Bikram yoga session, I'm all ears. :)
  • yesterday, i was bleeding lol but lookin good while deadlifting 405 pounds(actually the bar is like a giant cheesegrater!)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I wear a lot of make up, I don't take it off to workout and I very, very rarely sweat apart from on the beach (I think I'm just made weird). don't be hatin. :-P

Great article though.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The only time I wear makeup to the gym is when I'm going directly from work.

I was meeting a friend for dinner a couple of weeks ago and sent her a text to warn her that I was indeed a 'hot mess' because I was coming from the gym. She responded with 'You better not be one of those people who looks cute when they work out.' My response to her was the same as in the article. I may be 'cute' when I start my workout (if it's a work day), but by the end of it I'm anything but!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I recently presented at a major conference in my field. The next morning after a 4-mile run around the local area I ran into one of the men who had been on my panel in line at the coffee bar in the hotel. I said hi and started to talking to him about the conference. I had re-introduce myself because he didn't recognize me from the day before when I had been wearing a suit and had on make-up and my hair was done. "Wow," he said. "You look so different. You clean up really well." And I said, "Thanks!"
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    I would like to think that I look good at the gym, but I am not that naive. I look TERRIBLE, and I know it. But it's ok though, not there to pick up guys. I would DIE if someone tried to approach me at the gym, especially if I just got off the treadmill drenched front and back in 2 gallons of sweat. I would just die.

But if I could get past the embarassment and actually talk to someone, then yep, I think he would be suprised at how "not terrible" I look outside gym. big difference for sure!

Ive always thought the gym was the worst place to meet guys, but now that youve posted this...maybe it does seem like a good place to approach guys...hmmmmmm...
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If anyone can find a way to look good after a Bikram yoga session, I'm all ears. :)

AMEN! I have a love/hate relationship w Bikram...but its amazinggggg 90 min of holy hell are we there yet! But SUCH a great burn!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Fabulous article.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What a great article, thanks for posting.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS.

I met my boyfriend at the gym when I was sweaty, frizzy haired and no makeup. On our first date he was SHOCKED, to say the least, to see how well I cleaned up. :smile:
  • hstanton7
    hstanton7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE this article. She really tells it like it is! I usually go to the gym after work, so yes I have my work makeup on, but no, I do not retouch it before heading there because I work hard and come out of there all sweaty and red-faced! I've seen some girls there weekend mornings (I roll out of bed, brush my teeth, tie my shoes and head out) with their hair wash, blow dried and straightened...down, and with makeup all over their face... and no, its not from the night before!

Come on ladies! If you're going to the gym, you'll get noticed more for working hard than for looking pretty!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You actually gave me chills. I can't say that I've ever really cared what I look like when wrking out. I personally think it's a waste of make-up to just sweat it off working out. So I tend to save the "getting ready" part for after I've taken a cold shower- post workout.

My b/f came home early one time and told me via text of course as he was leaving for work, I responded saying, "damn, I haven't done my workout yet" (obviously that ment I hadn't gotten ready yet) I then said "oh well I'll double up tomorrow and hop in the shower now, skip the workout today, so I'm ready when you get home" (workdays I like house cleaned, workout done and me showered and ready by the time he get's home)

He stopped me and responded, saying, "No, do your workout, it's sexy seeing you after your workout, natural, sweaty and sexy... it's hot when you workout because your taking care of yourself and that's hot"

Lol, needless to say LOT'S of calories were burned that day and we workout together ALOT cause it is sexy to see someone taking care of themselves, caring that their healthy and fit and in shape. I think I enjoy watching him workout just as much as he enjoys watching me workout. I think it's one of the greatest things a cou[le can do together, not to mention it brings a whole different level of excitment and fun to the workout ;)
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    I would like to think that I look good at the gym, but I am not that naive. I look TERRIBLE, and I know it. But it's ok though, not there to pick up guys. I would DIE if someone tried to approach me at the gym, especially if I just got off the treadmill drenched front and back in 2 gallons of sweat. I would just die.

But if I could get past the embarassment and actually talk to someone, then yep, I think he would be suprised at how "not terrible" I look outside gym. big difference for sure!

Ive always thought the gym was the worst place to meet guys, but now that youve posted this...maybe it does seem like a good place to approach guys...hmmmmmm...

Amazingly enough, a lot of guys do prefer to see women as they really are. Not the fake make up covered us. LOL. My husband thinks it's hot when he sees me sweat! I think it's gross personally, but to each their own.
    I wore make up to the gym on Sunday, but that was only because I didn't have time to scrub my face first. My eye make up was running and I didn't really care. I'm there to better myself, not impress anyone.
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE this article. She really tells it like it is! I usually go to the gym after work, so yes I have my work makeup on, but no, I do not retouch it before heading there because I work hard and come out of there all sweaty and red-faced! I've seen some girls there weekend mornings (I roll out of bed, brush my teeth, tie my shoes and head out) with their hair wash, blow dried and straightened...down, and with makeup all over their face... and no, its not from the night before!

Come on ladies! If you're going to the gym, you'll get noticed more for working hard than for looking pretty!
    AMEN!!!
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    "cause it is sexy to see someone taking care of themselves."

LOVE THIS!!!! Do you mind if I use it?!
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    yesterday, i was bleeding lol but lookin good while deadlifting 405 pounds(actually the bar is like a giant cheesegrater!)
    This just sounds painful!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Of course not, It's a fact :wink:
  • amymarie8709
    Options