Eating Clean: how tough is it to make the switch?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for some time, but am only just getting a profile set up. I'm thinking of making the switch to eating clean but am really intimidated. Has anyone done this in the recent past with any success? I'm looking for advice and general guidance regarding how long I'll need to eat clean before I won't crave processed foods nonstop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make the same transition to eating clean. It seems a little overwhelming. I am a little worried that my husband and two year old will have an even more difficult time with such a transition.
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    its hard at first but once you see how good it makes you feel you'll never wanna eat junk again :)
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean about 2 years ago. I would say I'm about 95-99% clean - depending on the day. There are just times in life when it's not possible. My kids and husband are about 75% clean. I have no control over what they eat when they are not with me :-) But most meals/ food that comes from the house is clean.

It was pretty easy to start. It basically means that you are cooking most meals. If you eat meat, and you decide that you will go 100% clean and eat organic meats, this can be quite a big jump in your food budget. If you live where you can buy local meats by buying 1/2 a cow etc, it can much more affordable.

Also, if you can join a CSA for your fruits and vegetables, this will also help with your food budget and you get local, fresh and yummy food.

I, personally, didn't have too much trouble with the cooking of the meals and going clean because there are 5 of us and buying a box of tuna helper (just as an example) wouldn't go very far. Also, my husband has high blood pressure so we try and limit processed foods to cut down on the sodium. And in doing this, it will cut down on your sugar as well.

Where it all goes terribly wrong in my house is cereal. I still buy cereal and I don't only buy oatmeal :-) It's just too much on a busy weekday morning trying to get 3 teens to actually eat something!

I hope this helps. The big issues with going clean are - time and if you have a larger family can be budget. Time because you will spend more time preparing food. Whether that means cleaning and chopping all those fruits and veggies, or just cooking your meals from scratch. Which by the way taste so much better when you get to control the spices/salt/etc.

But the upside is that you will actually crave those foods over processed in a pretty short time period. And as far as health goes, my cholesterol dropped significantly, as well as my husbands. At my last checkup, my doctor wanted to know what I was doing differently because there was such a significant change.

Good luck!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It only works for me if I plan - get everything in at the weekend for the following week.

If I try to do it as I go I eat the wrong things
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    it's easy if you make food that tastes good. the extra time and effort required to cook is totally worth it when you have a delicious and healthy meal(s) at the end
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    To start just start adding good clean foods. Don't focus on trying to clean up everything at once. We started by buying organic milk, which tastes so good I can't believe we weren't buying it before. I've slowly been adding more whole foods and my family is mostly on board. They can still get their junk food at grandma's house.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "How do you eat clean?"
    "Wash your food."
    - Alan Aragon

In all seriousness, it's not as hard as it sounds. The challenge is, are you a somewhat skilled cook? Because really the only difference between "eating clean" and not "eating clean" is the ratio of already prepared foods to freshly made meals, using real ingredients.

Buying a frozen meatloaf = NOT clean

Grinding your own cuts of meat, chopping up vegetables, forming them all into a loaf with an egg for binder, and baking it = clean.

Both lead to the same meal. It's not really what you eat, so far as how it's prepared, and how much you prepare vs buy.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of changing over gradually--why give yourself something else to stress about? Change one thing at a time and when you get the hang of it, change 2. Don't worry if you have something processed, just think about all the stuff you haven't eaten. Start with bread maybe or cereal or a vegetable you eat most frequently or milk. When you see how easy it is and how good you feel, you'll look forward to switching out. It probably will be more expensive at first, but think about the money you'll save in the long run in medical expenses!
    Conversely, you can see exactly which processed foods you eat most often and start substituting something cleaner for them--then start replacing your former staples.
    Good luck!!! And again, don't try to be perfect about it, it takes patience and practice and the ability to cut yourself some slack!
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    For me, the change itself is VERY difficult. So I like the idea of changng one thing at a time. I think I will try it now that I joined MFP. We'll see how the change goes!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us who claim to eat "clean" do so 100% of the time... The best of us make 95-99% :) It just means that the times you eat "dirty" (I don't like this term but eh) will be so few and far between, they don't make much of an impact. I agree that it would be unwise to beat yourself up if you can't do it perfectly. This is 2012 AD not BC, there will be some times that you aren't able to eat exactly the way you want. Gradually transitioning is a good idea, start by throwing away "junk" snacks like granola bars, pop tarts, etc. and replace them with fresh food. One of my favorite snacks is vegetables and hummus. The first step in eating clean, to any degree, is learning to love clean foods. So use this time to experiment with things you like!!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It depends how badly you are eating now.

For example, I've never drank soft drinks (?soda in the US), because I didn't grow up with it, and for us sweets like candy was a treat. We never had potato chips or cakes / biscuits either, so I grew up in a fairly clean-eating household.
    Big portion sizes of the yummy stuff (pasta, rice etc), was what made me gain weight when I finished highschool and wasn't as active.

But transitioning is a good way to go, although it depends on your style and control etc.
    I personally went cold-turkey on sweets etc, because I know I don't have good self-control if they're at home.

Nowadays, if I buy a bar of chocolate, I eat it and enjoy it, but I won't buy a block big enough to feed a family. I eat about 90-95% clean most days, and still allow myself a hot chocolate / chai latte.

Don't get so focused on weightloss you forget to live :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I made the switch and maintained it for 6 months or so and found it easy, but then I started lapsing and am finding it difficult to get back there. I think partially because I'm doing just fine without being too clean.
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    [quote

I started eating clean about 2 years ago. I would say I'm about 95-99% clean - depending on the day. There are just times in life when it's not possible. My kids and husband are about 75% clean. I have no control over what they eat when they are not with me :-) But most meals/ food that comes from the house is clean.

It was pretty easy to start. It basically means that you are cooking most meals. If you eat meat, and you decide that you will go 100% clean and eat organic meats, this can be quite a big jump in your food budget. If you live where you can buy local meats by buying 1/2 a cow etc, it can much more affordable.

Also, if you can join a CSA for your fruits and vegetables, this will also help with your food budget and you get local, fresh and yummy food.

I, personally, didn't have too much trouble with the cooking of the meals and going clean because there are 5 of us and buying a box of tuna helper (just as an example) wouldn't go very far. Also, my husband has high blood pressure so we try and limit processed foods to cut down on the sodium. And in doing this, it will cut down on your sugar as well.

Where it all goes terribly wrong in my house is cereal. I still buy cereal and I don't only buy oatmeal :-) It's just too much on a busy weekday morning trying to get 3 teens to actually eat something!

I hope this helps. The big issues with going clean are - time and if you have a larger family can be budget. Time because you will spend more time preparing food. Whether that means cleaning and chopping all those fruits and veggies, or just cooking your meals from scratch. Which by the way taste so much better when you get to control the spices/salt/etc.

But the upside is that you will actually crave those foods over processed in a pretty short time period. And as far as health goes, my cholesterol dropped significantly, as well as my husbands. At my last checkup, my doctor wanted to know what I was doing differently because there was such a significant change.

Good luck!

i'm trying to quote the above, but not sure what i'm doing so please dont think i've 'stolen' your comments :)

[/quote]
    It's true that you will start to crave the healthy foods............this has shocked me the most, as i used to buy lots of fruit for my family but never ever ate a single piece....now we just never have enough....i actually look forward to the taste of fresh foods such as fruit and veg....i love fat free cottage cheese with salad and the thought of eating processed foods from the freezer...as i used to do every day, makes me feel sick.....just give it a go and it becomes easier every day
  • Chinook71
    Chinook71 Posts: 19
    Options
    It's kind of tough at first, but SO worth it! We have been working on this for about a year now and the thought of processed or fast foods makes our stomach's turn. There are some really tasty clean & healthy foods. Clean Eating magazine has been a great resource and I am amazed at the wonderful recipes in each new issue. Go for it, you won't regret it!!
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Clean Eating magazine, or even online, where you find really great recipes and great tips to eat clean!! Clean eating is basically eating fresh and local - nothing to it.. when you go to supermarkets, try to avoid the middle aisles - stick to the outside where you find all your veggies, fruit, breads, meats, cheeses, etc..

It's not really a hard transition - just think, all that processed stuff you've been putting into your body is junk, it wasen't meant to be consumed by humans.. just eat like you would if all that food didn't exist.. you'll get the hang of it, just keep at it and involve the entire family- If junk isn't in your house, you will be less tempted to eat it! Good luck! :happy:
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that hard for me. Def the best decision I've made, I feel better, a lot. However, the downside for me is it takes up more time to prepare and/cook meals and it's more expensive. :grumble: Just takes some planning but you get used to it very fast. :wink: Give it a try!
  • SaedElhadri
    Options
    In all honesty eating healthy is a way of life for me know, although I must agree with the above posts its at about 90-95%. Its all a step by step process. A rule that helps is when you walk into a grocery store try and keep most of your purchases along the walls of the building. As they are the healthiest products such as fruits and vegetables. Instead of granola bars and 100 calorie b.s snacks grab natural products like dry roasted and unsalted almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, etc.. The whole point to eating healthy is putting in natural items in your body that it will break down and get the proper nutrition from. Processed foods have plenty of added chemicals, extra sugars, fats, and calories. When you actually read what you are eating, its actually empty calories. It makes it difficult for your body to breakdown and grab nutrients when your adding foreign chemicals and excess sugars and fats that werent meant to be put in our bodies. It seems like a struggle and it is but I used to eat 3/4 of a large pizza in one sitting, 2 cheeseburgers 1 large fry and 2 large powerades with ice cream cone, 8 count chicken strips 1 large fry 1 large coke with a large cookies n cream shake, 1 footlong cuban sandwich 1 ground beef stuffed potato ball 4 ham croquetes and a 32 ounce powerade. These all were examples of a so called "meal" I would have. Yeah tell me about it REDICULOUS!!!! I've only been doing this for going on 4 weeks now and I have lost 14 pounds. I wouldnt change the way I feel for anything! If you need any support, feel free to add me and I'll try my best to help out.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It takes time if you want to make it a lifestyle change and make it stick...

It has taken me 2 years to get to the point where I consider myself eating clean....

I started with baby steps...cut out soda...then cut out some processed snacks I was eating...then moved into finding quick simple recipes I could do fairly easily for dinner...

It took time because I was looking to make a lifestyle change...

My husband has eaten better mainly because I am in charge of cooking meals...but he still drinks soda from time to time...and i find a box of oreos in the cupboard from time to time....

My kids...I confess I have Chef Boy R Dee in my cabinets and mac and cheese...over the past two years they have become more open to eating certain foods but they are kids...and I had bad eating issues growing up of being forced to eat things i hated which led to me binging on stuff that was unhealthy...so right now I am more concerned about educating them about healthy food choices, having those available to them and using the kid foods as backups...

As far as expense...there are ways around it - I dont' buy "organic" for the most part (unless it is on sale close to the regular counterparts) as I do have a budget to be concerned about...I have learned what my "basics" are (boneless Chicken breast or thighs and frozen shrimp) - so when they go on a good sale I stock up. Since I dont' eat red meat very often I do splurge and buy grassfed - but I have found a good deal with one of the farms that comes to the year round farmers market. I do my best to eat fruits and veggies based on season and sales (looking forward to the summer - tons of farmers markets around where I live - tons of fresh fruit and veggies that are organic, plentiful and cheaper than stores...
  • ethelapple
    Options
    I try to eat grassfed, organic, etc...as long as it's not terribly cost prohibitive....we probably spend about $500 on food each month....it gets easier when you are not trying to straddle the fence and buy *some* dirty foods, and *some* clean foods.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    In the past few months I've gradually switched from only about 20% clean to probably 60% clean. I'm still far from totally clean but the difference that even this has made for me has been amazing. My weight started coming off again after a long plateau because clean food is so much healthier. I seldomly crave processed food and I feel so much better overall.

Start slowly, where you feel comfortable in making changes, and you will do just fine with the transition.

13800327.png