tell me what to do, lifters

Options
10acity
10acity Posts: 798 Member
Let me admit, first of all, that this post is partly about being lazy. I'm aware that I could search any number of posts, as well as Google, to get these answers. I have tried that. I've run out of patience and short on time. And I know there's a wealth of knowledge yet to be mined. So. Moving on...

I'm a veteran strength trainer, but have never done primarily that. I've gone through quite a few sessions of personal training and group training, and for some reason I have a problem remembering what I should be doing. It's some kind of mental block.. I get to the weight room and few things spring to mind [usually legs, which need the least work]. My strength training has always been fairly light, but I know I'm strong so I'm the girl going for 10s or 12s where others are using 5s or 7s. I realized a long time ago that strength training is way more fun than cardio (which bores the snot out of me), I guess I just find it daunting so I don't do as much as I could/should/want to.

So here's what I'm asking for: when I go to the gym this afternoon, what-- precisely-- are your suggestions for what I should do for a complete strength training workout?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Push ups nd pull ups.

Do a set of as many push ups as you can.

Then, don't rest, go do some pull ups.

Then, do some military pushups.

Then some close handed chin ups.

Then, wide fly push ups.

The, wide pull ups.

Rest or one minute.

Do that all again. Done.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts. Weighted squats, deadlifts, shoulder press ups, bench press, barbell rows, lunges, pull ups and dips. Good luck!
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippitoe it's by far the best program out there imo .Saying that the next 10 posters will have 10 differing opinions so the best advice I can give is ask the biggest guy in the gym what he does then do it minus the steroids.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My problem with lifting is that is is so boring! I dislike "hanging out" at the gym. But I have a routine I love that was set up by my PT to be quick and effective. I use jungle straps and alternate muscle groups in sets so that I don't have to rest and wait between exercises. I am finished with a full workout in 45 minutes - (15 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, 30 minutes lifting/pulling/pushing). If you have access to jungle straps and want a copy of my routine, let me know.
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    "Compound lifts. Weighted squats, deadlifts, shoulder press ups, bench press, barbell rows, lunges, pull ups and dips. Good luck! "

This is about as good as it gets.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY advise getting the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It will give you a fabulous 4-6 month program that you can follow to the T, so you don't get bored or confused on what to do. It is about as good as getting a trainer, as long as you are patient and have no fears of trying different exercises with free weights.
  • 10acity
    Options
    My problem with lifting is that is is so boring! I dislike "hanging out" at the gym. But I have a routine I love that was set up by my PT to be quick and effective. I use jungle straps and alternate muscle groups in sets so that I don't have to rest and wait between exercises. I am finished with a full workout in 45 minutes - (15 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, 30 minutes lifting/pulling/pushing). If you have access to jungle straps and want a copy of my routine, let me know.

Hmm... I think my gym may have them. I'll check tonight!
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    lol!!!
    Push away from the beer....pull closer to the beer....
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i actually still have to do the on the knees push ups now...trying to develop some upper body after YEARS of inactivity. don't go to fast.
    ps...never done a full chin up in my life!
  • jsteffen80
    jsteffen80 Posts: 136
    Options
    Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippitoe it's by far the best program out there imo .
    I agree.

Squat and be merry.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY advise getting the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It will give you a fabulous 4-6 month program that you can follow to the T, so you don't get bored or confused on what to do. It is about as good as getting a trainer, as long as you are patient and have no fears of trying different exercises with free weights.

That's what I'm following, too... I like the workouts, they are a good challenge that keeps changing, and I like that they're not *too* long so I can manage to fit them into my week pretty well.
  • jrdennis13
    Options
    Compound lifts. Weighted squats, deadlifts, shoulder press ups, bench press, barbell rows, lunges, pull ups and dips. Good luck!

Amen to this!!! For overall strength training, you'll never fail with this type of set up. Of course I like to use dumbbells for the press, bench and row (to engage those stabilizers) but this is the best all around program you should shoot for.
  • 10acity
    Options

Amen to this!!! For overall strength training, you'll never fail with this type of set up. Of course I like to use dumbbells for the press, bench and row (to engage those stabilizers) but this is the best all around program you should shoot for.

The last time I tried dead lifts-- and I am generally very careful about & good at form-- I hurt my upper back. I was clearly doing something wrong, and now I'm a bit scared of them, heh.

I'll be honest, I'm probably never going to even attempt a pull up (okay, okay, at least not in the next year or so) but I am writing everything else down to do tonight! Thanks for the replies!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

The last time I tried dead lifts-- and I am generally very careful about & good at form-- I hurt my upper back. I was clearly doing something wrong, and now I'm a bit scared of them, heh.

I'll be honest, I'm probably never going to even attempt a pull up (okay, okay, at least not in the next year or so) but I am writing everything else down to do tonight! Thanks for the replies!

If you hurt your upper back with deadlifts, your hips were probably too high and you were trying to pull it off the ground with your upper body rather than push down the ground with your legs. (hopefully that makes sense lol). It took me a while to get my form to be better, though my problem was the classic lower back rounding.

As far as programs go: Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or Practical Programming.

Each is only 3 different exercises per workout, but they're all compound lifts and all about keeping it high intensity.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

strange. most injuries would happen in the lower back.

compound lifts for sure.
    pullups, squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows.
    those pretty much cover all the bases
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The Big 5, naturally: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press7, Overhead Press, Rows
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options

Words out of my mouth literally!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Words out of my mouth literally!

This is why we're friends :)