can i take it light with pneumonia?

Options
I went to the doctor yesterday and was told i had pneumonia she gave me a prescription and said if it did not get better in 2 or 3 days to come back for a chest x ray.

I've been sick for the last 3 weeks (i know i should have went sooner but i hate needles), but i do feel a little better. I was wondering if i could do a little weight training if i take it light, i'm itching to get out of the house. My fever broke yesterday and i'm on day two of antibiotics. the inhaler helps significantly.

How long do i have to wait to start back exercising because i have a big game this weekend and i can't miss another day of practice if i want to play.

I'm 24/F and i exercise almost everyday except for the last month but i've been pushing through most days. I've already missed three team workouts and two practices.

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I would NOT mess around with pneumonia. I almost died from it when I was 22. Spent a month in the hospital, 2 weeks of that on life support in a coma. Please take it as easy as possible.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    if it were me i would wait a little longer. Your fever just broke. Give your body some time to heal and rest. You do not want to have a relapse. And pplhave been known to di from pneumonia. Take it easy
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You should be asking this question of your doctor, not MFP. Pneumonia is nothing to **** around with.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    i would say def not! let your body heal itself, there will be plenty of time to work out when you have recovered completely. your body needs to focus on healing the infection. at least do this for the couple days until you go see the doc again. then ask her what you should do...
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Nope. Rest, your body needs to recover. Pneumonia is serious business.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    NO!

Take the few days off - your body will have time to heal and feel better and you will come back stronger!

Please do not train with Pneumonia (coming from a medic)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    give your body the time needed to get 100%... you can only harm yourself further when you don't listen to your body... relax, rest, eat within your calorie limit and you should be just fine...
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Go to bed and let your body heal!!!! This is not some cold, this is PNEUMONIA!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    This is really a question for your doctor. Without specific go-ahead from the doctor, no exercise.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No, no, no - do not mess with pneumonia! When I was in my early twenties, I pushed to continue working out when I had pneumonia and I ended up damaging my heart muscle (myocarditis). That completely sidelined me for months. It was scary and serious - and it probably wouldn't have happened if I had rested and given my body time to recover from pneumonia.

Of course, you should also speak to your doctor about your concerns. But this was what happened to me! I never push it when I'm sick now. Learned my lesson!
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    I would NOT mess around with pneumonia. I almost died from it when I was 22. Spent a month in the hospital, 2 weeks of that on life support in a coma. Please take it as easy as possible.

I second this. I was hospitalized with it as well. I was sick, but I didn't want to tell my mom because I had a bball tournament that weekend. Needless to say I fainted mid-court and woke up in a hospital room that became my prison for a bit. Don't push your body. Listen to it. Go for a walk outside if you really feel the need to do something, but not much more than that.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would give it a few more days check in with the doctor by phone and ask her/him what they think and go from there don't push to soon if you do you may end up in the hospital. If you are really itching for it I would suggest something like yoga easy streching nothing to tax the lungs are heart to much. Best bet contact the doctor and see what they say good luck to you I know how it goes.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor yesterday and was told i had pneumonia she gave me a prescription and said if it did not get better in 2 or 3 days to come back for a chest x ray.

I've been sick for the last 3 weeks (i know i should have went sooner but i hate needles), but i do feel a little better. I was wondering if i could do a little weight training if i take it light, i'm itching to get out of the house. My fever broke yesterday and i'm on day two of antibiotics. the inhaler helps significantly.

How long do i have to wait to start back exercising because i have a big game this weekend and i can't miss another day of practice if i want to play.

I'm 24/F and i exercise almost everyday except for the last month but i've been pushing through most days. I've already missed three team workouts and two practices.

A friend at work had pneumonia two years ago, they were off work for three months, could barely move indoors and had a very painful chest.

I strongly suggest you put all thoughts of weights out of your mind, lest you do yourself in completely, or worse......

I can't believe this thread, seriously. People are so obsessed that they would put themselves at risk just for a spot of bloody weightlifting!!

Regarding training, this illness IS part of your training, it comes under the mental aspects of sport and the toughness of the human spirit!!!!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nope! I had(have still i guess) pneumonia last week and finished all my antibiotics. I've been feeling better but this morning it was a bit brisk out and the short walk to work made it so that I was wheezing again by the time i got to my office. I woudlnt mess with it until you get an all clear from your doctor
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No, no, no - do not mess with pneumonia! When I was in my early twenties, I pushed to continue working out when I had pneumonia and I ended up damaging my heart muscle (myocarditis). That completely sidelined me for months. It was scary and serious - and it probably wouldn't have happened if I had rested and given my body time to recover from pneumonia.

Of course, you should also speak to your doctor about your concerns. But this was what happened to me! I never push it when I'm sick now. Learned my lesson!

Your own experience would be very helpful to people, regarding the strain on the heart when exercising on an illness.

Seriously, you should start a thread on it xxx
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How can you think of playing a game this weekend? I've just had pleurisy, and even that took me a good 3 weeks to get over.
    Have a rest while you're entitled to it!
    14363700.png
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Forget about the game, and forgive yourself. Getting well is a lot more important!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Pneumonia is not something you can just brush off. Seriously, take it easy. If you really want the answer to this question, you should ask your doctor if you can work out or play. I'd suspect you'd get a tongue lashing from him for even considering it. The risks to your health really aren't worth it.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    NO! get off your lazy bum and hop on a treadmill!!!!! Sick is NO excuse.

THIS is why you ask a doctor and not strangers...................
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Not to mention you should be nowhere near a gym spreading pneumonia to everyone else.