how to make protein powder taste better??

Options
OH_matt
OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
I just bought my first jug of protein powder last night. I got it because I don't get enough protein from what I eat, so I'm just trying to up the intake I'm not on one of those crazy get-ripped plans. The thing is, I mixed it with water like was suggested and it's not that good. The package says I can mix it with milk or other things like that, but I've heard I should try to avoid that. What are some other things I can do to help make this taste better??

Replies

• pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always use milk.. makes it seem more like a milkshake.. and if its choc protein powder i always put a little bit of cocoa powder to make it more choc and when I use the vanilla powder i use milk , with frozen fruit if you like and try different flavours of crystal light.. the orange tangerine flavour makes it taste like a creamcicle.. just have to play with the amount of flavour to suit your taste.. and so many other smoothie receipies on the web.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Why would you not mix it with milk? If it is whey based, it already has "milk" proteins. I put it in my coffee, smoothies, etc.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Use milk.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it in water too and would actually gag when I drank it like that. It's to the point now where the taste grew on me and now I drink it with water easily.

People mix them into smoothies to cover up the taste.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I mix with almond or soy milk when I'm on the go. If I have more time, I will put in a blender with plain greek yogurt (even more protein that way) and fruits.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not part of a meal that you eat because you crave the taste. My ex-trainer drinks protein powder mixed with water and instead of thinking of it as "food", he thinks of it as a supplement. So there's that, if you're willing to change your perspective a bit.

Try drinking it with milk and a little bit of honey, that made it pretty palatable!
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I mix mine (chocolate flavored powder) with skim milk, a banana, strawberries, and dark cherries. I use it as one of my meals, and it is probably one of the better tasting things I have all day. Haha.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not part of a meal that you eat because you crave the taste. My ex-trainer drinks protein powder mixed with water and instead of thinking of it as "food", he thinks of it as a supplement. So there's that, if you're willing to change your perspective a bit.

This is the approach I take. I also use Myofusion which has a good texture when mixed with water. I have used 100% Gold Standard Whey by OM and that was thin in water and didn't have good texture. You may ahve to experiment with a few different ones until you find what you like. Meanwhile, add milk if that helps. It does push up the calories though.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    buy better protein, optimum has tons of flavors that taste good with water or milk, therefore you get versitility and dont always have to have milk with you