Women & Strength Training

Options
Hello There! I am looking for a little feedback on strength training….

While, I’ve been doing cardio 5-7 days a week, for at least 30 minutes (I was doing an hour before I started strength training), I just started lifting weights on January 2. We set up our spare room as a home gym and do what we can there.

I started with 6 days/week:

Back/Biceps –Monday/Thursday
-Bench Bar Curl
-Barbell Row
-Incline Dumbbell Curl
-Sitting Concentration Curl
-One Arm Bench Hammer Row

Chest/Triceps-Tuesday/Saturday
-Incline Barbell Bench Press
-Skull Crushers
-Barbell Bench Press
-Dumbbell Kickbacks
-Overhead Extension
-Tricep Dips

Shoulders/Legs-Wednesday/Sunday
-One Arm Front Dumbbell Raise
-Overhead Twist Dumbbell Press
-Barbell Upright Row
-Quad Raise
-Seated Behind Head Barbell Press
-Hamstring Raise
-Squats

After 6 days –I repeat the same schedule only with a different set of exercises to keep a change going. However, beginning this week, we decided to 2 days of strength training off each week to allow for more recovery time. So to fit my schedule to a 5-day rotation, I am working each muscle group one day a week….. Back –Monday, Chest – Tuesday, and so forth. There will still be a weekly change in workouts.

My questions are……

Is a 1 muscle group/day (working each group once a week) feasible for a less intense workout?
(I want to get the best results I can get…. toned and fit.)

What strength training schedule works best for the other ladies out there?

I’ve done a little online research, but everything is so different!
Any and all feedback, thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!

Replies

• leiathor
    leiathor Posts: 3
    Options
    Everything you'll see online varies because I think the overall consensus is to do what works for you. So I think working each group once a week is fine. I generally do not do more than three days of strength training a week, usually only two with one day of interval training that could be considered strength and cardio in one.

The one VERY IMPORTANT continuous thing I have heard regarding strength training is that in order to keep from reaching a plateau, you need to use a system of muscle confusion (what makes P90 X so successful). So no matter what muscles you're working, you should change up the exercises for each muscle group every 3 or 4 weeks. (Not positive on that time frame, but it sounds right.) For example, instead of dips for your triceps do cable pulls...etc.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Leia!

I should've come up with a catchier title like everyone else! LOL
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Another thing, switch up the order in which you do the exercises in the workout. Keeping your muscles guessing every time. I never do a circuit in the same order twice in one week! I've gotten amazing results so far!

Some people will say no more than 3 days a week for strength training for maximum results. Some will say 2, others 5. Just do what works for you. And don't be afraid to lift heavy! You won't bulk up unless you're one of those rare women with high testosterone levels.
  • breyn2004
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I usually always mix up my workouts. My husband and I workout together so I usually flip flop around so we can keep a smooth rotation going. And I love lifting heavier.... I like to feel like I'm really working for it! :happy:
  • breyn2004
    Options
    Didn't get much of a response so I'm bumping this post! :smile:

I am in Week 2 of working one muscle group/day (each group once a week) and it's going well. Weighed in with my nutritionist today and my lean is slowly moving up so yay for that! But I don't feel like I'm working my muscles enough doing them once a week. Looking for a little feedback on strength training schedules.....

What kind of strength schedule do y'all follow?

Thanks!
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion by completely changing your routine is absolute marketing hogwash.

Starting Strength, Madcows, Stronglifts and other very successful strength training programs have you doing the same sets of exercises week in and week out for months. However, they all have you progressively load the weight on the bar. You add weight to the bar and voila, your muscles are 'confused.'

I'd say look up Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (Or just New Rules of Lifting) or Stronglifts 5x5. They are 3 days a week and are full body workouts utilizing compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, cleans, rows and bench press. These programs are designed for newbies to lifting and a newbie will get the most out of them.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can give you some feedback based on the P90X workout I've been doing for the last 90 days. Month one is 3 weeks we do the exact same lifts each week, then there is a week of non-heavy lifting. Then the next month is 3 weeks are new routines with some of the same lifts repeated each week, but more intense muscle specific. The following week is a non-heavy lifting. The final 4 weeks is week 1 and 3 are like month 1 and 2 and 4 are like month 2. Then cap it off with a non-heavy lifting week.

I won't go into each week of what day is what unless you'd like me to. If you want me to do that, just send me a message and I'll get out the workout schedule and list it for you.

As I got stronger, I increased my weights, did more push ups, and increased my pull ups. I started my push up on my knees and I am finishing up my first 90 days doing them on my toes. I also mastered the one arm push up, so it gives you an idea how well this program is doing for me.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I've been doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit plan. Its a 12 wk program. You can find it on bodybuilding.com. Most people who are slender to begin with usually show results really fast on this program. I'm showing some results but its slower for me because I have more body fat to burn.
  • will4gzus
    Options
    Just be careful working out 6 days a week, you body does need recovery time. For example you are indirectly working biceps when you do a back routine, so if you are training biceps twice a week, then in actuality you are doing them 3 times a week. Throw in your 7 days of cardio and you could easily over train! I would scale back the lifting to 4-5 days a week. The heavier you go the more rest/recovery you will need.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I work one muscle group/day. Well technically two because I do abs every other day and legs on the non ab day. Today was Tri's/Legs. The rest of the week will be:

Wed: bi's/abs
    Thurs: Chest/legs
    Fri: back/abs
    Mon: Shoulders/legs
    Etc.

As for the exercises I try to switch it up each time. I use the smith press, cable machine, free weights and some of the machines for my leg exercises like the leg press, extension, ham curl, abductor/adductor and the donkey kicks.

The goal is 3 sets of 10 but since I up the weight every set and I'm pretty fatigued I don't always get the 10 reps towards the end.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Just be careful working out 6 days a week, you body does need recovery time. For example you are indirectly working biceps when you do a back routine, so if you are training biceps twice a week, then in actuality you are doing them 3 times a week. Throw in your 7 days of cardio and you could easily over train! I would scale back the lifting to 4-5 days a week. The heavier you go the more rest/recovery you will need.

I also do 6 days a week with the Jamie Eason plan. And 4 of those days she has you doing at least 30 min of cardio.
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion by completely changing your routine is absolute marketing hogwash.

Not sure I agree with this. Your body will get used to the same routine. You have to push harder and mix things up to make changes. Maybe just my opinion...

I am currently during strength training 3 days a week and work almost every group on the strength day.

As others mentioned, do what works for you. Try out the schedule you have laid out and if it isn't working switch it up. Maybe do legs and back on the same day and biceps and triceps on the same day. Make little changes to find the best routine for you.
  • breyn2004
    Options
    Ok, I've been researching workouts, etc. and I have found a 12-week program I'm going to try on www.bodybuilding.com. In addition to that, I also found a macronutrient calculator and I've adjusted mine to....

45% Carbs
    20% Fat
    35% Protein

I'm not certain how accurate this is since as we all know, everything we read on the web is not gospel, lol. But I'm going to give it a shot for a little while. We shall see......

Thoughts or opinions anyone?