Warrior Dash - 5k with obstacles and mud!

Options

Replies

• FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I wish there was one locally - they look like a riot! (and I don't think I'm ready for a Spartan Race yet.....)

I have been watching the Spartan Race since I finished the Warrior Dash a year ago. Also the Tough Mudders looks like a blast! I know I'm not quite ready so for now I will stick to the Warrior Dash - twice this year once with two of my three kids. They had such fun watching me they want to join! We cannot wait.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I did one in Virginia back in October and and doing a second one in June in Ohio! They are tons of fun. I recommend wearing long pants or leggings so you don't get all scratched up.

Not sure how the weather's going to be but I was ok wearing shorts (it was hot, and its not the greatest feeling when your clothes are sticking to you). I DID wear knee socks though so that helped w/ not getting too many scratches on my legs!

lol the weather doesn't matter....the course is designed for mud! don't wear your favorite shoes either, if they don't get sucked into a mudpuddle. there is usually a pile of shoes at the end that everyone contributes to. bring a change of clothes and extra running shoes, again, not your new ones. unless you are bound and determined to finish first, dont worry about the running part. 5k isnt all that long and most people walk a good portion of it, especially after the obstacles.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ran one last year and am running again in the Pocono (PA) event in June. They are a blast. The important thing is have fun with it, it's huge party.

If you want to train, to some trail running and add in some basic body weight exercises, push ups, pull ups, squats, burpees / squat thrusts. That should get you through it.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    washington in july!
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    RUnning it June 10 here in Connecticut. On May 5 I am doing the Zombie 5K in Boston. And all of this is prep for the Tough Mudder in October

Wear sneakers laced very tight. For some of the obstacles you will want the freedom of movement for your ankles. If you havent run or trained in boots (I am former infantry so I am VERY used to boots) my suggestion is dont wear them.

DOnt wear cotton, etc. Go get decent compression gear or similar so that as much mud, water and other crap will wick off you and not hang around (i.e. getting wet then rolling in sand is bad but cotton clothing really holds that **** in...)

I wear tactical gloves to protect against splinters, get a better grip, etc...

I carry Gu packs with me- I am diabetic but even if I wasnt I would suck that stuff down about every mile or so just for the energy burst.

You also dont have to be a great runner- the obstacles themselves are pauses in the run. The dash and similar runs are more about mental preparedness. DOnt EVER think "I cant do that" when thousands before you just did it! People will help you get over obstacles, etc but its your mind that will make you do it. As Yoda says there is "Do or do not- there is no try"

Have fun though!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I ran it last year in MN and I'm running it again Sept 8th in MN.

As far as training goes work on your running. Make sure you can run 3 miles. Then I'd just continue to work on your cardio and mabye some upper body strength workouts. Otherwise its a lot of fun. Its hard but if you are doing it with others it makes it a little easier to push through.

Ours was done at a ski resort and I will say the following 3 days was super hard to walk. I did a lot of working out before doing it but those uphill runs and down hill runs really got my legs. I was not ready for that. Its so much fun though.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm running with my team of warriors, we're running our first on May 20th in NC and our 2nd on June 2nd in OH. We're stoked, we can't wait!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    <---- completed over the weekend! It was a blast!!!

I did not train nor ever run a real 5k before, but have ran for a few miles at a time. The obstacles were a good break in-between the running.

It was so much fun!
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mine's scheduled for 4-28 in Florence, AZ
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've got 1 in Seattle area in July, and 1 in Portland area in Sept. and a Spartan in June! Excited!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    May 19, Maryland. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

What? I'm running an obstacle course with fire!? Like I'm not gonna draw comparisons....
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Running it July 21st in North Bend, WA. I'm soooo excited!! I'm just working hard on the weights to build muscle for the obstacles, and running 3 days a week until I can do 3.55 (our W.D. course here) effortlessly.

Good luck and most importantly, HAVE A BLAST!!! :happy:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    29th of July here in Michigan :)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I ran one last summer and it was a blast, it was my first 'race' after 14 years of not running. I finished in under an hour which for some is nothing, but it was the boost I needed to keep running. I am doing the dirty dash this summer with my husband and my two oldest daughters. WE are really excited.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Running in Maryland May 19th. Ran last year and loved it!!
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    June 2nd in Ohio with a bunch of friends. Doing P90X strength training 3 days a week and running/cardio 3 days. Hope to get up the wall!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Some friends, my sister, my wife, and I are entered July 14th in Earlham Iowa. Had to take a noon start, going to be warm I'm afraid.
    HA! I am doing that one too...lucky me, I get to start at TWO! Talk about HEAT OF THE DAY!
  • schula10
    schula10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Will be doing the Minnesota run in Septemeber!! First time doing it and VERY Excited!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Signing up for August 25th in Ohio. Wyndham Mountain is closer- but it's up the side of a frickin' ski resort. Ohio = flat!
  • tawnabanana
    tawnabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    May 5th in New Mexico!! My husband and I can't wait. We've never done it before either so we'll see how it goes. I do lots of circuit training so I think I'll be good there and I can run the miles without stopping, but that doesn't necessarily mean I will be running them fast. :) I think it's going to be a blast!!