Here's why you're not losing weight! Follow this equation!

Options

Replies

• afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob and this thread has really helped clarify the world of healthy eating.

Thanks!
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been "stalling" for weeks now. And I know I'm not eating enough. I'm trying, but I just don't be hungry :ohwell: I've been walking about 20+ miles a wk so far and doing Insanity and Jillian's 30day Shred. My BMR is 1500. I set my calories at 1200 and I struggle getting to that. :frown: *sigh* I'm 19pds down and have another 37 to go. I feel defeated sometimes.
  • Linscee79
    Options
    Quick question, sorry if it's been asked. I have an office job so I would be considered to have a sedentary lifestyle. Having added 3 to 5 40 minute weekly workouts to my regimen, would I adjust my activity level based on how often I exercise?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been "stalling" for weeks now. And I know I'm not eating enough. I'm trying, but I just don't be hungry :ohwell: I've been walking about 20+ miles a wk so far and doing Insanity and Jillian's 30day Shred. My BMR is 1500. I set my calories at 1200 and I struggle getting to that. :frown: *sigh* I'm 19pds down and have another 37 to go. I feel defeated sometimes.
    Eat more, hungry or not. Remember, hunger is controlled by hormones, and can be "trained." If you chronically under eat, your body responds by depressing your hunger signals, as a survival response. Hunger pangs are distracting, if there is very little food, and you're too distracted by hunger pangs, you might walk past the little food that's left (remember, your body doesn't understand "dieting," it only recognizes that food is plentiful, or that you're starving, and reacts accordingly.)
    Quick question, sorry if it's been asked. I have an office job so I would be considered to have a sedentary lifestyle. Having added 3 to 5 40 minute weekly workouts to my regimen, would I adjust my activity level based on how often I exercise?
    That's a personal preference. Some people find it easier to adjust their activity level, and other's find it easier to just stay sedentary, and eat back whatever calories you burn. Personally, I'd always rather leave exercise calories out of my activity level, that way if I don't exercise for whatever reason, I don't have to try and figure out how much to eat.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    You base it off of your exercise level...If you exercise everyday for 1 hr thats pretty active.
  • Linscee79
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try to be more mindful of this going forward!
  • Krisgren
    Krisgren Posts: 95
    Options
    Ok so how do I change my calorie setting for MFP?? Its not a huge change doing it this way but about 200 and I'm gonna give it a try if I can just figure out how to change it lol.
  • Krisgren
    Krisgren Posts: 95
    Options
    Ok nevamind, I found it, lol. Gonna give this a shot, see if it gets the boat moving. Thanks for the info. Seems so confusing sometimes.
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Okay I just want confirmation that I have this down right....Sorry to dumb it down so much. :)

MFP set me up with a 980 cal deficit a day to lose 2 pounds per week. This gave me 1200 calories a day to eat.
    I started p90x and burn 500 calories a day doing this exercise.
    This means I should eat 1700 calories a day and I still keep my 980 deficit which means I still should be on track to lose 2 pounds a week.

Correct????
  • sar123bear
    Options
    Hmmmm it's still not happening for me. My sedentary BMR of 1766, less the 500 = 1266. My calorie intake is between 1200 & 1300 per day and my carb, protein and fat ratios fall roughly in line with the pie chart recommendations. I've been using the app for 4 weeks and not lost so much as an ounce.
    Obviously, I'm going wrong somewhere but don't know where/how?
    Any suggestions
    :grumble:

Your numbers will vary greatly based on your situation…

Here’s my thread on the subject, I address exercise and breastfeeding in my post as well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/549124-eat-more-not-less-especially-for-new-moms-even-while-br

I give you two ways to calculate, one easy, one complex… the easy way is **very straightforward** just go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and enter your info – you’ll be given the figures you should not exceed (TDEE or Maintenance), the figure you should shoot for (fat loss), and the ultimate low that you should not be at or below for any great period of time to avoid plateaus (extreme fat loss)- this number is usually equivalent to your BMR - Eating at or below your BMR will cause you to burn lean muscle mass.

Simply put, this doesn’t have to be hard… Set up your goals custom to match the fat loss figure and record your exercise calories via MFP exercise diary and you’ll be in business.

Keep in mind it is normal to see up to a 4 lb weight gain at first just from your body adjusting to the new way of eating. Give it a fair month trial - you'll be glad you did. :-)

17881265.png
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Okay I just want confirmation that I have this down right....Sorry to dumb it down so much. :)

MFP set me up with a 980 cal deficit a day to lose 2 pounds per week. This gave me 1200 calories a day to eat.
    I started p90x and burn 500 calories a day doing this exercise.
    This means I should eat 1700 calories a day and I still keep my 980 deficit which means I still should be on track to lose 2 pounds a week.

Correct????
    You only have 21 lbs to goal, and you're shooting for 2lbs per week? Doesn't seem realistically healthy, to be honest.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    You only have 21 lbs to goal, and you're shooting for 2lbs per week? Doesn't seem realistically healthy, to be honest.
    [/quote]

It doesnt??? I thought 1 to 2 pounds per week was healthy?
  • Chrissy979
    Chrissy979 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    OK, someone help me, I have read several forums all to do with the same thing and I am still confused.

If my BMR shows as 1631( I used the fitness frog site) , and my activity level is Sedentary ( I sit at a desk all day), am I calculating my equations correctly?

1631 X 1.2 = 1957.2 = TDEE
    1957.2 - 500 = 1457.2 = Calorie Goal

I would like to lose 1.5 to 2lbs per week, I have 50-60 lbs to lose. I have been trying to stay within 1200 calories, including my excersising as that is what MFP stated. Should I actually be eating closer to 1400 calories?

Your calculations look good (based on my experience... I am NOT a doctor or dietician)! I would suggest upping your calorie goal to 1450 (eat back any exercise too). Make sure your additional calories are made up of lean proteins and good fats (chicken, fish, nuts, dairy, etc.). And DON'T despair after one week where you may or may not lose (possibly even gain that first week). Your metabolism needs some time to adjust and consistency (plus patience) are all you need. You can do it!!!

Great Thank you I will give this a try, I just wanted to make sure I was doing my calculations right, I don't want to start eating more just to find out I did the calculations wrong!
  • KayMarissa
    Options
    :smokin:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It doesnt??? I thought 1 to 2 pounds per week was healthy?
    Here, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

You should net at least your BMR to be healthy, and there's a good chance it's over 1200. If you drop 2lbs a week doing that, I'd be surprised.
  • JakinsandPeykins
    Options
    bUMP
  • slimkay1
    slimkay1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    my question exactly. I'm not sure which activity level to use.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this -- as someone with close to 200 pounds to lose, having adopted the MFP way since late January, I've noticed that the more I restrict calorie-wise, i.e., the farther away I am from achieving the overall calorie goal on any given day, the less I lose.

What this tells me is that the more extreme I am, the less successful I am. The more I achieve a balance with food (and, to a much lesser degree right now, exercise), the more I see results on the scale.