I have a silly question?

Is it wrong or unhealthy to eat the majority of your calories in one meal? I am from the south so dinner is a BIG deal, and I might eat only 200 calories before dinner but eat 800 calories at dinner. I stay under my daily caloric intake, but I was just curious if it would affect my weight loss by doing it this way. I have lost 8 pounds in a week and a half, which is great, and I am eating good portions and good food, but I just need to know

Replies

• chrissi
    chrissi Posts: 34 Member
    Is it wrong or unhealthy to eat the majority of your calories in one meal? I am from the south so dinner is a BIG deal, and I might eat only 200 calories before dinner but eat 800 calories at dinner. I stay under my daily caloric intake, but I was just curious if it would affect my weight loss by doing it this way. I have lost 8 pounds in a week and a half, which is great, and I am eating good portions and good food, but I just need to know
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    That is deffinately not a silly question. I think most people eat one meal larger than the others...even those of us that over eat to begin with.
    I don't know if i can answer your question...you have made me curious as well. Perhaps since the goal is to not go over a certain amount of calories in a day...you are eating the "right kinds" of food, and you don't feel uncomfortable after eating that much...maybe it isn't so bad.
    However...my dietitian has - recomended - that to balance out my metabolism, and encourage healthy weight loss, i should try eating about the same amount at each meal, as well as having small snacks inbetween. I have a hard time with the snacking, but have found that by having a balanced meal, 3 times a day, i don't feel as hungry. Nor do i get the feeling of .."omg i can't believe i ate that much" giggles, i haven't had to undo the top button of my pants in a whole week now.
    So, i would have to go along with my dietitian on this one.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Yeah, I don't really know the "right" answer to this either, but I've heard that going to bed with a lot of undigested food in your stomach is bad for you, so I try to avoid really big meals at dinner or late in the evening. I also tend to wake up with a bad stomach ache if I eat too soon before bed, but that may just be because I'm not used to eating most of my food later!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    There are no silly questions. Asking questions is how we learn. Like I always tell people we were not born knowing all the this. So always ask when ever you have a question.
    I know what you mean about dinner being a big deal in the south. I was born and raised in the south and still live here. The way people eat here is why the south has a higher percentage of over weight people then any other part of the country.
    Believe me I no longer eat the same way I use to.
    I know you have heard and read the phrase “Live Style Change”. Changing the way we eat is the main part of that life style change.
    By eating only 200 calories all day then 800 at dinner slows your metabolism down and you will not lose as well as you would eating small meals about every 3 hours. The key word here is “small”.
    Plus 200 calories and then 800 calories only comes to 1000 calories a day which is not recommended for health reasons. Your body needs 1200 calories a day just to function properly…..things like breathing, heart beating, etc…..
    Believe me you will lose better and feel better eating the recommended 1200 calories a day then just 1000. Feeling good while losing is very important.

Read here this it will help explain more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1420-restress-the-small-meals-more-often-technique