HRM or Fitbit?

Options

Replies

• paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It seems that what you want to measure is the question...

I use a Fitbit, and it gives me motivation to get in as many "steps" per day as possible, plus it does have the sleep monitoring as well that I find useful.

However, if you want to really measure workouts, the HRM is the way to go.

I'm not a gym-gal, so l Iike the discreetness of wearing the Fitbit all day. From what I hear, that is not so do-able with the HRM,

Best on your quest :-)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Im a research queen and did about 2 full weeks of research, pros/cons and reviews before I decided on......drum roll please-FITBIT ultra! It won out on most categories, so I got one and will give my own review in a few weeks.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is a swing towards the HRM.... next question then - can anyone recommend one? I know of the Polar ones, any others that I should look at?

I have the Polar FT7 and love it. It seems to do all I need when I'm working out. I was asking about the fitbit to complement the HRM for sleep monitoring and just general day to day (get my butt up of the chair more at work).
  • MAponte73
    MAponte73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OKay guys, I have been reading these post this morning and I need to know where to look for all these idems... I would like to do some research for myself and possible invest in one. So the question is, where do I go to check these three idems out?
  • MAponte73
    MAponte73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Plus I am new to all of this. please advise and HeLp!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    A HRM is only going to be useful measuring aerobic exercise. However, it should give you an accurate measure of your heart rate, and even if the calorie burn is a little off, you can figure out which way over time.

The Engadget review of the fitbit likes it, but says it doesn't really give enough features over a pedometer to make it worth as much as it costs.

Maybe you should get a HRM and a pedometer. That would cover awake non-exercise and exercise times.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have both. And having both works just fine for me! I do a lot of walking, so having the FitBit takes care of that aspect very nicely and I don't have to keep track myself of how many minutes i've walked and at what pace.

However, when i'm deliberately working out, doing a cardio session like my TKD classes, then I'll use my HRM to track calories burnt. I would say that the HRM isn't really meant to be worn 24/7 and from my understanding (and let me stress I'm no expert) it's only supposed to be used to track your calories burnt during periods of cardio exercise.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Plus I am new to all of this. please advise and HeLp!

Amazon has both,
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have both. And having both works just fine for me! I do a lot of walking, so having the FitBit takes care of that aspect very nicely and I don't have to keep track myself of how many minutes i've walked and at what pace.

However, when i'm deliberately working out, doing a cardio session like my TKD classes, then I'll use my HRM to track calories burnt. I would say that the HRM isn't really meant to be worn 24/7 and from my understanding (and let me stress I'm no expert) it's only supposed to be used to track your calories burnt during periods of cardio exercise.
    I also have both, and agree with the above. I've found that the FB very close to my actual numbers when it comes to activity level and steps. The calorie burn it shows is lower than the HRM, but I don't have a problem with that. I use it even when strength training, which is something the HRM is NOT good at measuring, and it really seems to reflect my activity level quite well.
  • gilliango
    gilliango Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The fitbit can be found at fitbit.com. It is a great motivator for being more active all day. It monitors steps and stairs climbed as well as calories burned. However, I have heard that it is not as good as capturing exercises such as bicycling, rowing, weight lifting, etc. I use both a fitbit and a heart monitor. For information on the best heart monitors I would use google or amazon.com. I have a very simple polar heart monitor. It does help me step up when I am actively exercising.
  • afrikat
    afrikat Posts: 14
    Options
    At this rate I think I will end up getting both too! Can we pressure Fitbit into adding a HRM?!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At this rate I think I will end up getting both too! Can we pressure Fitbit into adding a HRM?!

The reading I've done on the accuracy of HRM's would seem to say that the best ones are the ones that have a chest strap - that actually monitor the heart, rather than just at the pulse point on the wrist. FitBit would need to introduce something similar, i'd rather they didn't upgrade just yet, since I've only had mine 2 weeks!!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    So I guess I have my answer....I need one of each!!! :happy:

And I think fitbit needs to introduce a chest strap with bluetooth technology that communicates with the fitbit device! Genius!!! Maybe I should hold out for that model????
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have both. The fitbit gives steps, etc, and you can get a general idea of how active you are being. A HRM is best during workouts when your heartrate will be elevated, you can wear it during the day but it will not be accurate. Some HRM models (or BodyBugg) do both, but obviously cost more. It comes down to what you want more- a device that shows you how much you move each day and can motivate you to move more OR a device to use while working out that can give you an idea of how hard you are working during your workout.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I got both.

Fitbit as a motivational tool. (best purchase price I found was on Amazon.com)

Polar FT4 HRM to monitor calories burned during exercise, etc. (best purchase price I found was on BodyTronics.com)
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a dork and I use both.... I put my HRM on when I'm actually doing a specific workout to keep my heart rate in check and to make sure I'm giving as much effort as I should be. My FitBit keeps track of everything else, but it reports here... my HRM is more for me to keep checks and balances on my FitBit. Sometimes FitBit (I named mine MsNesbit) gives me too much credit in comparison to my Polar FT4, but only by about 40-70 calories difference.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    ADORE my Polar ft4 HRM.:love:

Found it at Bodytronics.com for $62 with free shipping and handling...the guy at the sporting store wanted to charge me $90....cell phone's internet access paid for itself that month!:laugh:
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    In my opinion (and each to their own), a HRM is better suited to give an accurate count than the fitbit. I have both and I love both but for different reasons.

I run, walk, resistance train, cycle, spin and use videos and would never be without my HRM during those times. Having my cals burned based off of my heart rate helps me to know I'm getting a true count (or at least that's what it's supposed to do - I feel mine is great - Garmin FR70).

I love my fitbit first and foremost for motivation purposes. Seeing the graphs go up and up and up throughout the day makes me want to keep moving. I found that I was standing, stepping back and forth, at my breakfast bar this afternoon while I was browsing the net as opposed to sitting like I normally would. The info gathered has been of great help in meeting my activity targets. The sleep tracker is fabulous and is helping to determine what actions throughout my days are triggering bad sleep nights.

Again - in my opinion only based off of my personal use. But I do love them both! :) Good luck!
  • Rover234
    Rover234 Posts: 17
    Options
    For those HRM chest strap users, how uncomfortable is the chest strap? Does it loosen with all the sweat? I want to buy one but I'm worried that I'll spend my time adjusting it. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it?!