Thigh blisters and chafing

Options
Hi - this is super embarrassing and i almost want to hide my pic as I post this but I'm really frustrated and would like some help. I have this perpetual problem with thigh blistering and chafing. I use the bodyglide when i work out and that helps a bit but it'll still happen at random times, usually when I walk, but not even a long distance.

Anyway, I went to the store today and walked around for 10 min or so. And I got a new thigh blister about 2 hrs later! Doesn't always happen, just at random, annoying moments. WORST part is that Tuesday is my big workout day, I burn the big chunk of my cals today. But now that I have this blister I don't want to go and suffer the pain in addition to the difficulty of the workout. And it is sooooooo frustrating bc i really was in the mindset to workout and now I'm stressed I'll make this blister worse and I don't want to go anymore just for that reason, bc once the blister gets bad I can barely walk, much less work out. And I've tried powder in the past w/no success. Any ideas? Would you go workout even if it made your blister worse?

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You could try using moleskin. It's made for foot blisters, but it might work elsewhere. I use it whenever I'm breaking in new shoes.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I use bodyglide as well, and I even use it when I'm not working out. I almost always wear it when I wear a skirt or a dress for that very reason. One idea could be to cover the blister with a large band aid? I've done that before just to keep it from getting irritated. A band aid or gauze with medical tape to hold it in place. Might look funny, but I'd rather be comfortable! Oh, and I put Aquaphor by Eucerin on any chaffing I have and it usually does the trick :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Do you think maybe wrapping a bandage or gauze kind of tightly around your thigh, covering the blister, might prevent more chafing? Maybe you could work out if the skin won't rub?

It sounds awful! I hope you can find a solution! :)
  • sshipman18
    sshipman18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My thighs rub and they get very sore. The only thing I have found that stops it is wearing leggings. Since I workout at home, I just wear them as pants but you can wear them under shorts. Don't know if you have tried that or not.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    are you wearing long enough shorts? i have to wear men's basketball shorts because they're the only things long enough to keep me from suffering from chub rub.
    i wouldn't work out if you're afraid of the blister getting worse. maybe do an upper body workout instead.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Maybe compression shorts? If you don't want to wear shorts to work out, they are so form fitting you could wear them under your workout pants.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried wearing bicycle compression shorts? The kind with the padding in the butt for the bicycle seat. They are made of slippery material, lycra I think.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you tried compression pants? You could wear something over them.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have to wear capris (champion yoga capris are my favorite) when I work out because shorts ride up and I chafe too. I can't walk for long distances in nylons either, because of this problem.. it's SO Bad! It's gotten to the point of bleeding before, but since I started wearing knee length or longer capris, they are much less frequent.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I would try bodyglide or Anti-monkey Butt. I'm not even making that up! I kind of want some just to put on my shelf in the bathroom.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?submenu=Home&src=
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have worn tights under dresses too. I hate that rubbing feeling. I have never used body glide, but just cake on some deodorant. But I agree the tights are everywhere and easy to buy or replace!

Have you considered talking to your doctor?
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody - I'll try the tights/shorts, just feeling down about it really. I hate when this stands in my way of working out. It has been since I gained the last 75 lbs I came on here to get rid of. i guess I'll just have to deal with it till my thighs get smaller.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but we get thigh chafing to sometimes. Well I did when I first started, I used body glide and it didn't always work. They didn't stop until I got my self decent pair of sport boxers to wear.

These are the ones I wear: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/pid1209291-001

I know they are guys boxers but If they are under your shorts, who would know! They are like compression shorts just way cheaper!
  • GhoulyGrin
    Options
    I put baby powder on my thighs and wear leggings to avoid the evil chub rub.
  • ReneeHarwood
    Options
    I'm new to the site, but happened to see this post and I had to tell you about this awesome solution to the thigh chafing. The website is http://www.thighslides.com. I tried the powders, the Body Glide, Vaseline and anything else I could find. This was the first thing I found that works. Let me know what you think. I haven't had any thigh chafing since I got these. :-) I hate "chub rub"...it hurts!
    Renee
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I wear dresses or skirts. I wear biking shorts underneath if I'm going to be moving around a lot.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    put some diaper rash cream on the blister. It will make it feel better and it will heal faster
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I read a tip in "First" magazine to use solid deodorant on your thighs. I tried it and it works! I was so excited, I started wearing dresses again to work.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Talc/baby powder and leggings work for me.
  • macflyer516
    macflyer516 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Underarmor shorts/underwear or some sort of compression legging.