Replies

• ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'd love to grow my hair out some, too. :heart:
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hair grows approximately 6 inches per year, depending on your person.
    in 4 years, that would be 24 inches. let's assume you cut off an inch and a half twice a year (because i highly doubt you're measuring exactly one inch). that brings you down to 12 inches. by blow drying it and straightening it, you are damaging it further, which is probably accounting for the rest of the difference.
    be patient. stop using heat on your hair. use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I would love to grow mine out if it didn't automatically produce split ends. :(
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant. It worked great for a friend of mine.

LOL. Thanks, but only if you'll claim the child support bills.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i just switched back to prenatals and biotin and omega 3 fish oil supplements. it has at least stopped breaking (within just the last week of starting my new regimen) so i am hoping it will help it grow longer too.
  • JustLiftJess
    JustLiftJess Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    prenatals for sure!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    About the trimming: when your hair starts to get split or frail ends, the ends break off. You end up with a bunch of 1-2" fragments all over your bathroom floor, and your hair appears to stay the same length rather than growing. Trimming, or even dusting (taking a pair of fine scissors and cutting only the very splits off where you see them) can counter that a bit.

I'd say go for prenatal vitamins. If anything, they seem to make your hair thicker. Oil from the neck down helps to keep ends soft as well. My favorite is jojoba oil since anything coconut makes me sick; jojoba has no scent and hair absorbs it well.
  • CallieM15
    Options
    You guys are amazing. Im going to check out prenatals.

Love all the responses. MFP is filled with great personalities.

I am NOT going to get pregnant, unless you guys wanna help me foot the bill. :D
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I'll just take the baby if you'll carry it... Win:Win ;-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In India we use alot of olive oil, coconut oil and mustard oil and massage our heads with it. Our hairs are usually long and have a healthy glow along with being thick. Dont use all three oils at the same time but pick one oil, massage your head with it or have a relative/friend massage your head for you (very relaxing too!). I prefer coconut oil btw and I massage it and sleep with it and shampoo it in the morning :)

Good Luck
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/
    lots of tips on that site :)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Stop regularly blow drying your hair. For other advice -

Listen to this woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwC-S__T9o8

And this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqIsDZD5b0&feature=fvsr

And this womans page as she has alot of details on maximising hair growth and keeping length.

http://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/6.html
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would say trim it more often. The longer time goes between trims the more split ends you get and more has to be cut off. I get a 1/2 inch cut every 8 weeks. Once a year I get about 7-8 inches cut off, but it grows back quickly.
  • CallieM15
    Options

I'll just take the baby if you'll carry it... Win:Win ;-)

DEAL! Maybe my hair will be a foot longer in 9 months....
  • CallieM15
    Options
    In India we use alot of olive oil, coconut oil and mustard oil and massage our heads with it. Our hairs are usually long and have a healthy glow along with being thick. Dont use all three oils at the same time but pick one oil, massage your head with it or have a relative/friend massage your head for you (very relaxing too!). I prefer coconut oil btw and I massage it and sleep with it and shampoo it in the morning :)

Good Luck

Im 50% indian, my mom 100%. She said growing up she would coconut oil her sisters and moms hair everyday. I have a really sensitive scalp... I coconut oil every once in a while, but too often makes it itch.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I started eating a lot more protein my hair started growing very fast. I try for 100g of protein per day since I lift weights. I heard hair is made of protein, so that actually makes sense...
  • CallieM15
    Options
    I feel like when I started eating a lot more protein my hair started growing very fast. I try for 100g of protein per day since I lift weights. I heard hair is made of protein, so that actually makes sense...

I am definetly on a higher protien diet. LOL I eat steaks 2-4 times a week, eggs for breakfast.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take Biotin. :D
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/
    lots of tips on that site :)
    Came here to post this. Fantastic community, and cuts through a lot of the BS we're fed about hair growth.

That's where I was a regular member when I was growing mine out. Been maintaining tailbone-length hair for a few years now. :)
  • massagecailin
    Options
    I've been having the same problem, and my boss told me prenatals too. It seems to be working, it's faster than it was when I was just using biotin, so I'd recommend it, as it's also pretty healthy for you to get the extra vitamins as wel!!! :) Good luck and keep us updated!