how much weight tolooe to drop a size

Options
im 5'6 an dright now 294 im wearing a size 22 pants im getting married next summer and want to be able to buy a size 14-16 dress how much weight do i have to loose to start seeing my dress size go down

Replies

• iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    20 lbs between sizes until sz 14, then 10 lbs between size 12 and smaller.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options

So you need to lose between 60-80 lbs to fit a sz 14/16.
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Agreed, I lost 9 lbs and went from a 10-12 to fit into a 8 at the clothing store I work in!
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is about an inch off your waist. A size is about an inch but it really depends on make. I studied fashion and I would size by about an inch of ease. You also need to ask the people that you are getting your dress from what is the drop dead date for alterations. Never order a smaller dress with the anticipation of losing weight. Too risky. You can always take in but you can't add on!
  • kymme16
    kymme16 Posts: 15
    Options
    5 pounds is about an inch off your waist. A size is about an inch but it really depends on make. I studied fashion and I would size by about an inch of ease. You also need to ask the people that you are getting your dress from what is the drop dead date for alterations. Never order a smaller dress with the anticipation of losing weight. Too risky. You can always take in but you can't add on!

im not going to try on dresses till the very last moment i have to so i can try to loose as much as possible
  • kymme16
    kymme16 Posts: 15
    Options
    thank u for all of ur help ladies
  • sassyN1989
    sassyN1989 Posts: 424
    Options
    I am about your height (5'5) and weigh 188 and wear a 16 but I must say "I gots some hips" . Good luck.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Woah, it takes me much more than that. I lost 20 pounds and only went from a 12 to a 10. Maybe it's because I'm tall?
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    im 5'6 an dright now 294 im wearing a size 22 pants im getting married next summer and want to be able to buy a size 14-16 dress how much weight do i have to loose to start seeing my dress size go down

I'm 5'5" and was a 24 at 255 and right now I'm a 10-12 at 163. You are a bit taller and seem to carry your weight differently than I do so I'll bet maybe hitting 200-220 would work. Hope that helps...Good Luck and great success!!!!!

You have a year, so I'm sure you will do that and more!! :)
  • sassyN1989
    sassyN1989 Posts: 424
    Options
    I was thinking this I have lost 30 lbs and not dropped a size. I am losing very strangely.
  • beaversprings
    Options

This ^. I lost 85 pounds and went from a 22/24 to a 14/16. It took a little more for me because I am 5'2".
  • beaversprings
    Options

This ^. I lost 85 pounds and went from a 22/24 to a 14/16. It took a little more for me because I am 5'2".

And just FYI, I started at 260 and lost the 85 pounds in 7 months.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Dress sizes seem to change the quickest, as opposed to jean or shirt sizes. Depending on your shape, you'd have to lose more weight to see results on your upper or lower half. I've lost about 18 lbs total and went down about 2 dress sizes. As a pear shape, on the other hand, my jean size just now went down one. *shrugs* So, depending on the shape of your dress and your body type, you may have more or less to lose. Example: With a mermaid style dress, a pear shape would have to lose more weight than an apple shape to go down a dress size because it's so snug in the hips. Alternatively, if you're an apple shape and pick an A-line dress, you'd have to lose more weight than a pear shape because you'd lose weight in your bust more slowly. I hope anything I said helps. :ohwell:
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this I have lost 30 lbs and not dropped a size. I am losing very strangely.

Me too, I've lost 32 and when I went yesterday to get new jeans they had to be the same size as the old ones. I was pretty darn disappointed. :ohwell:
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    it is different for everyone. How and where you carry the weight. I am 218 and in a 22. They are starting to get big so I see shopping in my future.
  • jtdink1121
    Options
    5"4.5" and was wearing a 15 at 189... im now 165 and im wearing between 10-13. It all depends on the brand for me. I can even fit my 15's just have to roll them up. I am very much confused too. lol If someone is my height and weigh around the same as me... Please inform me. :) Oh I do have wide hips so maybe that helps :ohwell:
  • Paulaspaintinprimin
    Options
    this is about right. I am 179 I wear between 14 and 16
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    it depends on your shape and the cut of the dress.... it may be more than 20 lbs for the apples (like me)
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Me too, I've lost 32 and when I went yesterday to get new jeans they had to be the same size as the old ones. I was pretty darn disappointed. :ohwell:

My best friend has about 150 lbs to lose (only 75 left-woot!) and she was not fitting in smaller sizes. She had a scan done, and it turns out she had been losing fat around her organs! Your insides could be looking much prettier before you start losing external fat. Just a thought.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My best friend has about 150 lbs to lose (only 75 left-woot!) and she was not fitting in smaller sizes. She had a scan done, and it turns out she had been losing fat around her organs! Your insides could be looking much prettier before you start losing external fat. Just a thought.

Seriously? I didn't even think about that..... interesting.