weight training.

Options
Rite, here it is, i'm a runner, i love running, i'm fit now, healthier and losing weight. What i cant get into is weight training. It bores me to death. I'm quite stocky have broad (ish) shoulders, would definately benefit from weights.
In the past i've lost weight but looked gaunt. What i'm after is some simple advice, easy going exercises that help to tone and build muscle, obviously i'm not looking for a free ride, i'm just looking on how to get started, along side all my running. That's where the problem lies, i run then i'm too tired to do weights, but i'm not prepared to alternate weights and running.

I do have some free weights at home. Any advice greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What timing, I just logged on. Depending on what size weights there is all kinds of stuff you can do. I'm no real expert, but it stands to reason that unless you lift hard and heavy you aren't going to put on much mass. The weights you are talking about will make the muscles more useful, and will keep them from Atrophy, but they aren't going to get real big. One thing that I have found that gives one heck of a burn is a moderate weight with a real slow return. Ex. the bench press: push up at what ever speed you want, but as you bring it back to your chest count to 4 before you are all the way down. Keep it moving the whole time, just make it take 4 seconds to bottom out.

The way I go about it, I reiterate not being an expert, is 1 large group and 1 sub per day. So monday is chest (large) and then Bicep's(small). So I aim for 3 exercises of each. Today's workout as another example:

flat bench press, 4 sets, 10-12 reps
    incline bench press, 4 sets, 10-12 reps
    dumb bell fly's, 4 sets, 10-12 reps
    Incline alternating bicep curls, 3 sets, 8-10 reps
    bar bell curl, 3 sets, 8-10 reps
    preacher curl (or an isolation since you probably don't have the equipment), 3 sets, 8-10 reps.

tuesday is legs and ab's, it would be easier if you could get some bands for home use on some of these.
    Squats,
    leg extensions
    leg curls
    calf raises

thrusday is shoulders and more ab's.
    Front raise
    lateral raise
    Bent reverse fly
    Trap raise
    and shrugs

Friday is back and tri
    back is difficult to do at home except for rows. There are some good ones on line.
    Tri's
    modified dips using the side of your bed
    Skull crushers
    1 arm tri extensions
    I also like to add a 2 arm tri extension behind the head while seated (don't remember the name).

These are the ones I do at home if I am unable to get to the gym. Just remember to go slow and it will burn.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Rite, here it is, i'm a runner, i love running, i'm fit now, healthier and losing weight. What i cant get into is weight training. It bores me to death. I'm quite stocky have broad (ish) shoulders, would definately benefit from weights.
    In the past i've lost weight but looked gaunt. What i'm after is some simple advice, easy going exercises that help to tone and build muscle, obviously i'm not looking for a free ride, i'm just looking on how to get started, along side all my running. That's where the problem lies, i run then i'm too tired to do weights, but i'm not prepared to alternate weights and running.

I do have some free weights at home. Any advice greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance.

You can't add muscle tissue while you are losing weight. The weight training limits the amount of muscle tissue lost while you are losing weight so (hopefully) the lost weight will be mostly fat tissue. You will appear more toned as your muscles will stand out more clearly without the fat tissue covering it all up. The muscles won't actually be any bigger, just easier to see.

Running is great for keeping the leg muscles but you should do some upper body work as well. You can go easy way and just do pushups, situps, etc and that will be some help. Better than nothing, for sure.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I am on schedule with my training, I will do two days a week of strength training. I like to focus primarily on upper body and core since I feel my running takes care of my legs. Plus, the focus on the upper body gives my legs a little rest. I have been doing the p90x workouts for chest/back and shoulders/arms (I usually do a little of the abRipper at the end of each workout, too.)
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, food for thought!