I would get a second opinion :smile:
    and start tracking your vitamins :flowerforyou:
  • eileencorry
    Options
    multivitamins
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I notice that most days you aren't even netting 1200 calories. It's hard to get the full amount of vitamins your body needs when you aren't even getting all the calories it needs...
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    From my psych studies:

1) People's diets tend to mimic those who are closest to them. You really should try to convince your other half to be more like you not you like him since he seems to be the one with the bad habits.

I am curious regarding the studies you point out; this can be a slippery slope: If you tend to hang with fat people you will be fat. Took a long time to dispel that myth, many peer reviewed studies support that. Also if it were the reverse were true MFP would be a different app altogether. I don't mean to be argumentative, curious more than anything with regards to this discussion.

Here's some relevant studies. This was actually brought up by my psych professor at university, but here's some examples of family influence on diet:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18334049
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22427108
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22365936
    http://her.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/2/187.full.pdf
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    He probably associates calorie counting with unhealthy starvation eating habits, most people do. Doctors are trained to look out for that when they see weight loss. Explain to him that you are also counting your nutrients and ask what he suggests nutrition wise. Despite what some of these comments say, doctors actually know ALOT about nutrition and how the human body works, so just talk to him.
  • jeremycatrett
    jeremycatrett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the drs and was diagnosed with sinusitus (sp?) Given antibiotics and told if I don't get any better in two weeks to go back.

Since then I have had a temperature every day and developed a really sore throat and sores in my mouth (gross I know). So today I went back to see him again and he says he thinks I've got a second viral infection and the start of tonsillitus (sp?) He also asked if I've lost weight (think he noticed my notes had about me being obese and I'm not now) and so I told him is been calorie counting and he told me to stop as I seem run down so probably not getting enough vitamins ect!

Anyway I don't think I can stop logging my food so I've switched my goal to maintenance for the moment and I'm going to concentrate on eating healthier as for the last couple of weeks I've been eating what tastes ok (which isn't much).

So my question to all of you is do you really think I could be worse off vitamin and mineral wise than i was when I was obese? It doesn't make any sence.

i read through the first page of this thread and there is some pretty bad advice being given to you.

you are sick and have gotten worse in 2 weeks. your body obviously needs more nutrients, and more importantly, calories to fight off your infections. don't discount how hard it is for a body to fight sickness, its hard work and your body needs a surplus of energy to do it effectively.

i'm not saying pig out but don't deprive your body of the resources it needs when you are sick. look at it as a temporary hiatus until you are better.

look after your immediate health concerns first before your long term ones.
  • Mibs131
    Mibs131 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of maintenance mode while you heal up from these illnesses. You've gotten some great replies regarding foods to make sure you eat. (^_^) Be well.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You know, I think most GPs get around half a day of nutrition training, just the basics, so unless your doctor is a trained nutrionalist, i'm not sure he/she is qualified to comment, especially if they didnt do a vitamin/mineral analysis. Best bet is to eat some good old fresh fruit and veg :)

That is wrong in many many aspects.

We have a semester long class that is all nutrition and then our systems based courses (pathology, biochem, anatomy, phys, etc) all integrate vitamins an minerals and their role in that respect along with signs and symptoms of their deficits or excess.
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he/she thought that the calorie goal wasn't adequate? When I first started here, I showed my doctor, and he said that the calorie goal was too low (the default weight loss here is set to lose one pound a week), and he said that the ideal/healthiest goal for losing weight is a half pound a week. Maybe give that a try and see how it goes.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm tired and only read your first post, so sorry if I'm not much help here. My recommendation would just be to take a multivitamin every day if you don't already. Of course it's better to get vitamins through food but if you're not getting enough that way a multivitamin is really helpful. That's what I had to start doing!

Also, you can use MFP to track basically all major vitamins and nutrients, so you may want to add those options to your diary so you can see if you really are getting too little in those areas. Good luck, and get well soon! I've had tonsillitis and it was AWFUL :cry:
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When you are sick you need non dieting calories to get better. Eat maintenance until you are well then resume.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise, especially the kind needed to drop significant weight, can lower your compromise your immune system and make you vulnerable to getting sick. Which is why you need to add some sort of supplements to your regime if you haven't already.
    I got really sick in January from a skin infection called MRSA, and that's what my doctor told me. Since then, I make sure to take a multivitamin, vitamin C and ecinhacea most days to help.
    I definately don't think that you should stop tracking your calories.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When you are sick you need non dieting calories to get better. Eat maintenance until you are well then resume.

Yes, this is good advice.
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary and you are surely not getting enough nutrients and fuel for your body.:smile:

This.

Maybe your diet has been different since you've been sick, but from a quick peek, you're not eating enough calories to reach your goal--you're getting even less nutrients. Maintenance is probably a good idea, but definitely also change what MFP keeps track of to include vitamins.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old daughter was recently ill and after having strep developed secondary infections in her throat/ears. I then got sick, was misdiagnosed with strep and though my illness ran the same course as my daughter's, I ended up being diagnosed with mono. Apparently kids fight it off, but teenagers/adults aren't so lucky.

If the sores in your mouth are on your tonsils and look green/black/or pus filled, PLEASE ask your doctor to test you for mono.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It sounds like his main concern was not much the logging but the calorie counting itself, as in he thinks you need more, so stop counting for now. You could still log your food, and like so many have said it would be good to track your nutrients and get in some healthy foods. Also, for the sores in your mouth, try taking 500-1000 units of L-Lysine. You can get them almost anywhere. Take one a day until the sores are healed. Beware, if you've never taken them before they can bother your stomach at first, but they work. Hope you feel better soon!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Since this is myfitnesspal, not myweightlosspal your priority has got to be getting well enough to live well and diet again if you need to at a later date surely?

Take your doctor's advice, have a few weeks of eating more and more variety, bigger well planned dinners rather than crappy starchy snacks and build up your immunity again and then when you are well again deal with any weight you have regained then.

You've lost well before so know you can again!
  • halforc80
    halforc80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Personally, I think it sounds like your doctor is concerned that you need a more balanced diet, but I disagree with his assessment that you should stop logging. The first step to achieving a balance diet is to assess what you are currently eating and then make changes to it.

If your doctor recommends you see a dietitian, then the first thing they will do is get you to keep a food diary... which is exactly what you are doing!

I would suggest taking a good, all-round, daily multivitamin supplement if you're not already (which I found I needed to do after a couple of weeks of MFP). You can also check your food diary reports to get an indication of which other nutrients you might be short of (for example, I found I wasn't getting enough iron which was leaving me very tired).

The key to any ailment is information, and sometimes it pays to become a "professional patient" and do the research that your doctor doesn't always have the time or inclination to do. Good luck! =)