College Student in need of low calorie recipes

Options
Hello All,

I need some help getting some healthy, low calorie meals that can serve a bunch of people (in my dorm) and we can afford. I know thats a lot of constraints, but my roommate who is a chef is losing weight with me and we were looking for some good, healthy recipes for our family dinners.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• powersmatti
    Options
    When I was in college my rice cooker/steamer combo was the best thing ever. You can make anything in it. I would regularly buy a bag of cheap, frozen chicken, canned beans, rice, pasta, chicken broth, etc. and make different meals each week. You can easily make chicken and veggies, rice and beans, pasta and meat sauce, chili, etc. You can also use it to boil eggs for salads, make soup, and much more. I would invest.

Learn to make a big pot of something and save it for the week. Soups, chili, pasta, etc are all easy to do that with. You will save ton of money cooking this way.
  • EllieKaye
    EllieKaye Posts: 13
    Options
    I definitely need help in this area! If you or anybody else has anything, let me know! I'll add if I find anything. :)
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    brb
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    Check out eatbetteramerica.com, Lots of really good recipes and it will give you all the information for them. Caloris, fat, fiber, etc...
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm in college, too and low cal is kind of my motto lol

I like Bird's Eye Steamed Rice. Half of one package is a serving. If you add some steamed vegetables on top and have a little bit of (optional): tofu <--this can be diced and sautéed then used in various yummy dishes, tiny bit of soy sauce or teriyaki sauce--myself I prefer teriyaki, you've got a pretty low-sodium, calorie, and healthy meal!

Or there's always tortilla pizza. I leave out the pizza sauce because I like to slice tomatoes on top and I put a minimal amount of cheese on (I like to season this with basil), and adding some sliced mushrooms from the grocery aisle (not the can!) is never a bad thing either. The pizza can be cooked in a skillet so it's more crispy (use medium heat and be sure to check under every so often so it doesn't burn) or it can be microwaved.

Spaghetti squash makes a very filling meal for 2-4 people, or a side dish (depending on the size of the squash). Very low-calorie, but treat it like a vegetable. I wouldn't use it as an entree (but then again, my appetite is smaller now than it was in the beginning). Add some spaghetti sauce! (Half cup is for two cups of squash. 1/4 cup is for one cup.) Add some mushrooms, basil leaves, and I like to add pepper and a little grated parmesan cheese. Only 20 calories for 2 teaspoons of Kraft!) Then for a side I like a fillet of fish. Yum! To microwave, stab (yes, stab) squash with sharp knife at least 7 times around the outside of the squash. Put some paper towels in bottom of microwave. You probably will have to clean up a little excess squash juice from the bottom, but not much. Microwave 8-12 minutes in microwave, rotating halfway through. Outside of squash should give a little when pushed if done at end and should be VERY hot. Use knife to slice squash in half, let cool a little. Scoop out seeds. Use fork to scrape squash like spaghetti. :)

I've got lots of ideas, including an amazing recipe for stuffed eggplant, but they kind of come to me gradually. Hope these help! :)
    And I'm always open for a friend request if you want to share ideas! (I love recipe ideas!!!)
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    Vegetarian Chili~ 281 calories feeds four.

1 tsp canola oil
    1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    14 1/2 oz stewed tomato(es)
    15 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    15 1/4 oz canned yellow corn, drained
    15 oz canned tomato sauce
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup(s) dehydrated onion flakes
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    4 Tbsp low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp-variety

Instructions
    Heat oil in a large, nonstick, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, onion and pepper; stir well.

Increase heat to high and bring chili to a boil; cook, stirring frequently, until chili is thick and flavors are concentrated, about 5 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese per serving.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How about a Salmon Salad?

http://myhealthydietfood.com/recipes/southwest-salmon-salad-deliciously-low-calorie/326/

Portion has about 540 calories (about half of it from 6oz of salmon)

If you buy the salmon in quantity, it should be around $9 a pound.
    So the cost of 6oz is about $3.38, and the cost of the salad kit is around $2.5, so for less than $6 you can have a very nutritious, and fast meal !
  • ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    youtube have many recipe ideas from other people

I like this person I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/leanbodylifestyle
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    Angel Hair Pasta with Eggplant-Tomato Sauce

1 medium uncooked eggplant(s), baby-variety, sliced into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cut into 8 strips
    spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
    3/4 tsp table salt, divided
    1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    2 large fresh tomato(es), coarsely chopped
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    2 Tbsp basil, fresh, minced
    2 Tbsp chives, fresh, minced
    1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
    8 oz uncooked angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained
    4 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled

Instructions
    Preheat grill to medium.*

Place eggplant slices and pepper strips in a grill basket (or place vegetables on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil with holes poked in it to allow smoke through). Off heat, coat vegetables with cooking spray; season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place on grill and cook until lightly browned and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces; set aside.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over low-medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until slightly pulpy, about 1 minute more. Stir in vegetables, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, basil, chives and broth; increase heat to medium-high. Cook until broth is slightly reduced and mixture has a sauce consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add pasta and toss to coat. Stir in cheese just before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try this website, this lady lost a lot of weight by adapting recipes and has brought out 6 cookbooks with great recipes. They are called "Symply to good to be true"

www.symplytoogood.com/

Hope this helps.
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    7 can tortilla soup

1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
    1 can of sliced olives

Cilantro, garlic powder,salt pepper to taste.

Directions
    1. Open the cans of corn, chicken broth, chunk chicken, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Pour everything into a large saucepan or stock pot. Simmer over medium heat until chicken is heated through.

Pour over broken tortilla chips and top with grated cheese/sour cream
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    LOL!!

i just posted on another post regarding asparagus lol

"this is a whole meal, but i had it the other day and a pal asked for the recipe and here it is...
    almond crusted chicken with sweet potatoes and asparagus on the side

We left it in oven way longer than the recipe recommends, especially the chicken. We took out the asparagus & potatoes at about 20 min & the chicken was in oven until fully cooked (no pink) for 30 min
    We also used whole grain Dijon mustard so we didn't need salt & pepper. Although, the taste was a bit entoxicating at times lol (but still very delicious). Enjoy! ;)
    Oh, & we used .75 of a cup of almonds, not .5

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/almond-crusted-chicken-sweet-potatoes-and-asparagus?hs317=billboard_4 "
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Loving some of these recipes! I'm going to have to try them! :)
  • kassiechambliss
    kassiechambliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know when I cooked in college, the less ingredients the better price! Tonight me and my broke husband took a cake dish, put a log of broccoli and asparagus in it, with some chicken. poured some light salad dressing over it, and whatever spices we thought sounded good (that we/ you would have) and baked it in the oven for an hour at 375...we loved it! produce is cheap, canned veggies are not the way to go. You can do that with any vegetable but if you do it with onions or mushrooms they get small and lost in the dish lol.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    This is so helpful! Thank you all!! :)
  • danismell82
    Options
    One of my favourite cheap, easy and calorie light recipes was spicy tuna rice.
    Make a huge batch with tinned tuna, brown rice, peppers (doesn't matter which colour), onion, garlic, chilli and Chinese 5 spice.
    Cook the rice.
    Stir fry the chopped peppers, onion, garlic and chilli.
    Add the tinned tuna (maybe two tins if you are cooking for many people)
    When heated through, add the cooked rice and sprinkle in the 5 spice.
    Mix well to combine and serve with light soy sauce.

If this is too dry for you, perhaps change the spices and leave out the chilli, replace with some herbs and a tin of chopped tomatoes to give a more Italian feel.

When I was at Uni (college) I lost loads of weight and staved off colds and other bugs by eating loads of veggies from the local outdoor market.
    Markets are generally cheaper than supermarkets, especially if you are buying in large quantities.
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I always found my best investment was to buy a good selection of herbs and spices, if you have an asian/Indian market near you they are a lot cheaper.
    It does mean paying out a bit to begin with but they usually last a long time and add a lot of flavour without having to buy expensive, high cal sauces.

i adore Indian food and these are some of my favourite (adapted) recipes

Onion Bhajis
    makes 12 (Can be frozen)

Ingredients
    198g (7oz) onions peeled, halved and thinly sliced
    57g (2oz) gram flour (chickpea flour)
    1tsp lemon juice
    2tsp ground cumin
    1bsp coriander seeds, crushed
    1tsp deseeded and chopped green chilli
    1tbsp chopped corriander (dried works as wel as fresh)
    1/4 level tsp baking powder
    salt to taste
    low calorie cooking spray
    a pinch of paprika

Method
    1. Place the onions, gram flour, lemon juice, ground cumin, corriander seeds, green chilli, chopped corriander and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and add a few tbsp water to make a thick batter that coats the onion.
    Leave to rest for 15 minutes, then using your fingers, mix again to ocmbine thoroughly.

2. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and using your fingers or a dessert spoon drop small mounds of the mixture onto the prepared bakign sheet to give you 12 bajhis.

3. Spray with a low calorie cooking spray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from the heat and serve sprinkled with paprika.

Curried parsnip Soup
    Serves 6 (Can be frozen)

Ingredients:
    2 onions peeled and chopped
    low calorie cooking spray
    2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
    1tbsp mild curry powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp ground corriander
    1tsp ground ginger
    2pt vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
    1lb 8oz parsnips, peeled and diced
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    a dash of tbasco sauce (optional)
    a pinch of cayenne pepper

1. Fry the onions with a couple of sprays of the low calorie cooking spray until softened . Add the garlic, curry powder and spices and fry for a further 3 minutes, add a little stock if the mixture becomes too dry

2. Add the parsnips and stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for about an hour. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool a little.

3. Transfer the soup to a food processer, season well and blend until smoot. Return the soup to the pan, add a dash of tabasco sauce, reheat gently and serve garnished with a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Jalfrezi Chicken
    Serves 4 (Can be frozen)

Ingredients
    5oz boneless, skinless chicken (thighs are usually cheaper than breasts)
    low cal cooking spray
    1tsp cumin seeds
    1 onion peeled and finely sliced
    1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    1tsp peeled and finely grated ginger
    1tbsp medium curry powder
    1/2tsp medium chilli powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp ground corriander
    salt and pepper to taste
    400g chopped tomatoes
    fat free natural yogurt and chopped cucumber to serve

Method:
    1 Place the chicken between sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin. remove the cling film and cut the chicken into thin strips.

2. Spray a large fryign pan (I use a wok) with the low cal cooking spray, palce over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger and cook for a further 6-8 minutes

3. Add the curry powder, chilli powder, ground cumin and corriander. Season well and stir fry for 1-2 minutes

4. Throw in the chicken, increase the heat to high and stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoesalong with 100ml of water. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for about 15 minutes or until the chiken is tender.

5. Remove from heat, season to taste and serve immediately with a bowl of yogurt and chopped cucumber.