Questions about daily calorie intake... Help!

Options
So Myfitnesspal has me set up to intake 1350 calories to 1.5 pounds a week. However, I have calculated my TDEE to be 2315 and my BMR to be 1684. So I'm a bit confused. I've heard some people say that you need to eat at least your BMR. I can easily eat under my BMR but I want to make sure I'm not hindering my weight loss by doing so. Is it safe to follow MFP's advice and aim for 1350 or do I want to aim for my BMR? Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    You really don't want to be eating under your BMR.

Change your goal to "Lose 1 pound per week" and you will probably have more success, and you will feel better.

You want to eat between your BMR and your TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you still eat back exercise calories when eating at your BMR?
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I'd like the know the answer to valligator's question also.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1605 and my BMR is 1383. I am 5'6" and currenty weigh in at 160. I calculated both numbers at :
    1) My goal weight - I want to consume what I should for where I should be (at 140).
    2) No exercice accounted for - So that if I miss days on my exercise plan I'm not over-eating.

Remember, if you are calculating your TDEE with exercise every day that would be taking into account you are eating back your calories lost. So then if you walk for say an hour and MFP gives you 400 calories and you ate them, you would be eating them back twice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Do you still eat back exercise calories when eating at your BMR?

All calories are NET. Eat your exercise calories.

This is simple. Don't make it complicated.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Always eat your exercise calories.

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.

• Clarimusic00
    Options
    Okay so MFP says my BMR is 1624... but it puts me at 1350 to loose 1.5 pounds a week. I'm being told I need to at least eat my BMR. So you say their system is better but I'm still confused. Do I stick with the 1350 they tell me to eat daily or my BMR which is 1624 (1.5 pounds a week... 50 pounds to loose)? Thank-you for advice. This is all a bit confusing and I want to understand why I'm eating ___ # of calories.
  • valligator
    Options
    Ok - still a little confused. You said not to make it complicated, but if I choose 2 pounds loss on the MFP set up, it puts me at 1300ish calories. My BMR is 1801. If I'm not supposed to eat under my BMR, but I have 80 pounds to lose.. what am I missing? Which option do I choose? I've been eating 1500 calories and haven't really seen much progress, so I just want to be sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Clarimusic00
    Options
    I'm with you valligator!!! I don't know what to do. MFP says 1350.. my BMR is 1640. Which is the amount I should be eating. I don't want to under eat and I don't want to over eat. AHHH.
  • valligator
    Options
    I'm with you valligator!!! I don't know what to do. MFP says 1350.. my BMR is 1640. Which is the amount I should be eating. I don't want to under eat and I don't want to over eat. AHHH.

It's very confusing. I've gotten different advice from everyone and I'm not sure what the right advice is. But I've been eating around 1500 calories for awhile now - I keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I wouldn't mind eating 1800 (my BMR), but then eating the exercise calories on top of that sounds cuckoo. But if I'm advised to do that, I would try it. Blurg.
  • Clarimusic00
    Options
    Yea - I feel like I have to eat TONS to reach my 1642 BMR. If I have to eat more calories on top of that to make up exercise calories it makes me not want to exercise. lol
  • kimberlylane16
    kimberlylane16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this exact topic earlier today... I am still super confused as well :(