Eat clean at McDonalds

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Parfait is delicious and not too bad. The grilled chicken sandwich (no sauce) isn't terrible either. They also have the fruit and walnut salad and their fruit and maple oatmeal is really good.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I know it may sound odd after the other postings, but. If I have to do McD's i opt for the kids 4 piece chicken nugget with apple slices. Don't eat the caramel and have an ice tea with lemon.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can't offer anything about their breakfast, but their Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken is really good. I normally don't even use the dressing. IF i do, it's not even 1/4 of the packet.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I work at a McDonalds in Australia, so I know this situation! I often have to eat there on my lunch break! :) However, it really is easy to stick to your calories and macros there. While salads are good, like everyone says, any of the seared wraps are actually really, really good in terms of calories. They range from 300-400 calories between the tandoori, sweet chilli or ceasar for the seared version.
    Is 300-400 calories good for a wra, just asking becuase a Big Mac is around 550 calories
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    McDouble with no cheese. It has the most amount of protein while keeping the other macronutrients low. I also think McDonald's tastes like garbage, so I don't know why you'd even bother going there.
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I actually eat McDonalds quite often, and I don't feel ashamed of it. I'm still losing weight. I just avoid the fries, and avoid most of the drinks there unless it's water or a black coffee. A seared chicken burger (New Zealand McDs) is quite filling on it's own without having too many calories. Same with the filet o fish burger. Today I was craving a cheeseburger so I got a combo with fries and a milkshake. Really bad idea. All up it was about 965 calories, just for one meal. But at least now I know to avoid that next time.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that there really isn't any fast food that is off limits for me. I am out a lot for work, and driving between meetings. If I don't find fast food, drive thru without a line, I don't get to eat. Or I'd I am travelling or away, I don't have the security of home to make my food choices, and still need food.

For mods, for breakfast, I will have a large coffee with 3 milks, and a egg mcmuffin with no butter, and I throw awy the top muffin. It's about 300 cal for both.
    Order two breakfast wraps, and put the filling all in one, throw out the other wrap.

Grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo or sauce, extra veggies, throw the top of the bun away
    Salad, don't put any of the extra stuff like croutons, or noodles, with grilled chicken no dressing, or a lrittle low fat Italian.

You can order apple slices any time.
    I find the yogurt healthy but not low cal.

I think it's all about moderation, and being creative in asking for modifications, or making the modifications yourself. Getting everything without the sauce is a good start, ask for no butter or oil when cooking, staying away from the deep fried, stick with the grilled, take off some of the breads or buns. These are some of the guidelines I use.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I also think McDonald's tastes like garbage, so I don't bother going there.

Fixed this for you.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I actually eat McDonalds quite often, and I don't feel ashamed of it. I'm still losing weight. I just avoid the fries, and avoid most of the drinks there unless it's water or a black coffee. A seared chicken burger (New Zealand McDs) is quite filling on it's own without having too many calories. Same with the filet o fish burger. Today I was craving a cheeseburger so I got a combo with fries and a milkshake. Really bad idea. All up it was about 965 calories, just for one meal. But at least now I know to avoid that next time.

I dont know how clean french fries are - probably not because of the oil they use - but I do get a medium fry and a diet coke once a week if I want it - it takes away my fast food craving and the sodium in a medium fry is only 260 or 270 - its actually one of the few low sodium options on their menu. All of their sandwiches and salads with chicken are too high (for me).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Any food outlet that needs an ingredient list for apples (and has about 20 ingredients in a "seared chicken fillet) is not going to fit my definition of "eating clean" so from my point of view, I'd have to argue that "no, you can't eat clean at McDonalds".

That's not to say you can't get lower calorie options there, and I'm sure some of them have a reasonable amount of nutrition. They just don't fit my lifestyle or my preferences - maybe I'm a good planner or just lucky, but I'll always find somewhere else to eat.
  • erika_urthmama
    erika_urthmama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! i was there the other day and told them they should put a veggie burger with a wholegrain bun on the menu...haha, wishful thinking! when i go, i get unsweetened ice tea and then if i am super hungry, i'll get a small fry and eat half the fries. i will have to try the wraps... i try not to eat meat (and eat it very rarely), but as it stands right now, there are no sandwiches on their menu that are meat-free...makes it tough.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    These (seared chicken snack wraps) + the 2 on the end of the photo :tongue:
    378126_10150438487065923_594850922_10832844_1035013_n.jpg

p.s
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I believe Mc D's offers a menu showing the calorie content of their foods.

That's what I thought

Eating clean doesn't mean checking cals, at least not in any definition I've ever seen. Eating clean basically means eating whole, minimally processed or not processed at all, foods. Nothing to add other than that, I don't eat at McDonald's.
    this
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Actually, McD's has some really good options for healthier eating. Just look through their nutrition guide.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are laughing or being sarcastic. I think everyone's been in a situation where they had to eat something on the go because they didn't plan ahead of time or forgot to bring something.

You're absolutely right..... excuse me......blooarghhhh!!!!!!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    The Southwest Grilled Chicken salad with no dressing. It tastes great with the lime glaze that's on it and doesn't need any dressing. It's awesome! They also have a pretty decent grilled chicken sandwich, just get it with no mayo. Plus, apple slices are a pretty good snack and a great replacement for fries.

yummm love the salad!!!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , OH, you were serious? :huh: -______________________-

umm lick the sidewalk outside, I heard that's about as clean as their food, lol or water

:)
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If there is a mc d's on a corner... then there are other fast food places real close to it . Try something else.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You know you've been in this situation. You have nothing around except a MickeyD and you didn't plan properly ahead of time.

What are some good "hacks" for eating clean at McDonalds?

I have literally never been in this situation.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Um short of a salad with no dressing...none. I don't think we are all clear on what eating "clean" means here. Eating healthier choices is not the same as "clean". Not trying to be condescending, I'm just confused in general about this thread.