Eat clean at McDonalds

Replies

• cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Wow....-_-....

Eating clean at McDonalds is like trying to have a bath in a swamp. You might walk away a little better off but it really defeats the purpose doesn't it?
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    i swing thru my local convenience store or grocer and grab a cliff bar if i am starving. otherwise, i'll just grab a piece of fruit to get me over the hump. if i'm heading back to work, i've even been known to grab a piece of salmon and micro-poach it will some fresh lemon and dill - also purchased at grocery store. (i should note, some of my co-workers do not appreciate the fish smell after i do this) :embarassed:

i do try to keep a couple cliff mini's in my car and an EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control. Great options on the fly. Will also grab a string cheese at a gas station. lots of options out there that aren't drive thru. not as easy or as tasty, but can be done for sure. :smile:
  • tsh033
    tsh033 Posts: 1
    I hate being out and about without some snacks on hand like a low fat cheese stick or handful of almonds. But if I get caught up with no other options, I will grab a classic grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo, or a southwest grilled chicken salad and pick off the chips - and a bottled water.

It's tough because I really love the junk food. So I get it to go - that way I'm not hanging around in the restaurant with the smell of fries tempting me.

5534741.png
  • Don't eat McDonalds, especially if you decided to take control of your life, your health, your body!!! It's not good for you!!!!!
    I eat or drink my Shake every morning and for lunch, and staying healthy.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Don't eat McDonalds, especially if you decided to take control of your life, your health, your body!!! It's not good for you!!!!!
    I eat or drink my Shake every morning and for lunch, and staying healthy. Did you know:
    The core of body by Vi 90 day challenge is Vi-Shape nutritional shake mix. To match the same nutritional values found in 1 shake, you will need to eat: over a dozen eggs, 1 1/2 cup of broccoli, 5 peaches, at least 2 chicken breasts, 1 1/2 cups of frozen yogurt, 1 1/2 cups of bran flakes, 18oz of tomato juice, 5 oz of cheddar cheese, 3 cups of lima beans, 15 slices of wheat bread, 20 spears of asparagus, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 30 whole apples, 10 stalks of celery, at least 3 tomatoes, 3 pineapples, and 30 prunes. That would be 8,662 calories and cost over $100, or you can get all of that nutrition in one convenient delicious shake for less that $2.00.

I would rather eat McDonalds. Chewing food is fun.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    I don't know what the big deal is? If you have to eat a McDonald's in a pinch oh freakin well it's not like your going to eat there everyday now! They don't have McDonald's Jail where you have to forever eat there until you die a slow painful death in a pile of fries! Satisfy your hunger and go on about your day!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    and i will also echo some other posters - not trying to be disparaging, but "clean" to me, means a diet that is primarily plant based and what animal protein you may eat is not processed...and i take it a step further, i buy it directly from farmers who use sustainable practices in livestock agriculture - no added hormones, no sub-therapeutic antibiotics, etc.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Don't eat McDonalds, especially if you decided to take control of your life, your health, your body!!! It's not good for you!!!!!
    I eat or drink my Shake every morning and for lunch, and staying healthy. Did you know:
    The core of body by Vi 90 day challenge is Vi-Shape nutritional shake mix. To match the same nutritional values found in 1 shake, you will need to eat: over a dozen eggs, 1 1/2 cup of broccoli, 5 peaches, at least 2 chicken breasts, 1 1/2 cups of frozen yogurt, 1 1/2 cups of bran flakes, 18oz of tomato juice, 5 oz of cheddar cheese, 3 cups of lima beans, 15 slices of wheat bread, 20 spears of asparagus, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 30 whole apples, 10 stalks of celery, at least 3 tomatoes, 3 pineapples, and 30 prunes. That would be 8,662 calories and cost over $100, or you can get all of that nutrition in one convenient delicious shake for less that $2.00.

What are you selling????
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Water.

:wink:

Fruit and walnuts is something pretty yummy, or the caesar salad with grilled chicken and instead of a heavy dressing a squeeze of a lemon is tasty.

I loved your water thought. I don't think there is anything clean at McDonalds period. Everything there is processed but once in awhile when you are in a jam it is what it is and you make the best decision you can from there.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Breakfast time: their oatmeal is yummy. Egg Mc Muffin no meat (and no cheese if you're really strict) are also good.

Rest of the day: Cut out sauces, bacon, cheese and/or bread. Their grilled "bistro" style chicken sandwiches are not as greasy as the ham/cheese burgers. And of course, no fries or soda.

Don't be fooled by McDonalds oatmeal. It has more sugar in it than a snickers bar..... and its being marketed as healthy......
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Clean is the stupidest word to have ever been introduced into the nutritional world. Please stop using it because it's just wrong.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Breakfast time: their oatmeal is yummy. Egg Mc Muffin no meat (and no cheese if you're really strict) are also good.

Rest of the day: Cut out sauces, bacon, cheese and/or bread. Their grilled "bistro" style chicken sandwiches are not as greasy as the ham/cheese burgers. And of course, no fries or soda.

Don't be fooled by McDonalds oatmeal. It has more sugar in it than a snickers bar..... and its being marketed as healthy......

it has apples and brown sugar, sooo .... not sure that they are being all tricky about it having sugar. also, sugar? who cares?
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    The southwest salad with grilled chicken is pretty tasty and not as bad for you as a lot of their stuff. Still not GOOD per se, but at around 400 calories with dressing, nothing deep fried, and some actual identifiable veggies on there, you could do worse :)
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    The Southwest Grilled Chicken salad with no dressing. It tastes great with the lime glaze that's on it and doesn't need any dressing. It's awesome! They also have a pretty decent grilled chicken sandwich, just get it with no mayo. Plus, apple slices are a pretty good snack and a great replacement for fries.

yummm love the salad!!!
    My vote too - Southwest Salad with grilled chicken and the low-fat italian dressing, iced tea with Splenda - under 350 calories. When I'm traveling I will usually order a fruit and walnut salad too for a snack later.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 437 Member
    Spicy Tai Salad with Grilled chicken NOT crispy. And skip the dressing they give you because the salad has enough glaze on it.
    *250 Cal.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    You know you've been in this situation. You have nothing around except a MickeyD and you didn't plan properly ahead of time.

What are some good "hacks" for eating clean at McDonalds?

Double quarter pounder with cheese.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    I don't understand why people are laughing or being sarcastic. I think everyone's been in a situation where they had to eat something on the go because they didn't plan ahead of time or forgot to bring something.

Agree ^^^

I travel a lot for work and some small towns have very little in dining choice! I would rather find something healthy to eat at McDonalds (which I can log accurately) than try to guess what the local takeout has in it (which I can't log accurately)

I think it's a valid topic, thank you OP :smile:

^^^^^^this! but seriously all fastfood places have salads nowadays....eat a salad no dressing with some water! :)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    You know you've been in this situation. You have nothing around except a MickeyD and you didn't plan properly ahead of time.

What are some good "hacks" for eating clean at McDonalds?

Double quarter pounder with cheese.

Yup that'll do it for me!
  • EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    When I have to eat there (like today), I get their grilled caesar salad and I don't use the dressing. I also don't eat tomatoes (i don't like those). It's 190 calories for just that.

I then get a large unsweet iced tea :)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member
    There sure are a lot of uptight people who obviously have the luxury of never have been in a pinch before. You get your panties in a wad over every. single. meal. Really? Every meal? Grabbing drive-thru on occasion will destroy all of your work? Really? Get off your collective high horses and join the real world where some people are on the go all day, and may not always have the luxury of other options. It happens! Maybe not if you're a SAHM or 9-5er. Geesh

It depends on what you have available for macros for the day, plain and simple. If, like me, you have a 1500 calorie surplus from your morning 10 mile race, then you have a lot of options that will fill those macros nicely. And no, having nuggets w/o the fries won't set you back and waste all of your hard work.