protein targets

Options
Hi all- I've a quick question on protein targets. I seem to have no problem staying within calorie goal but have been over protein target by ~15g a few days.. anyone know the implications. I dont eat massive portions of meat but i do eat dairy frequently- all reduced fat varieties -as I dont want osteoporosis!!! Is this a major boo boo in terms of weight loss???

Replies

• tmpetrie01
    tmpetrie01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    im curious as well!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    About 1g protein per pound lean mass would be a good amount. MFP underestimates protein.
    You won't get osteoporosis. If you are concerned with acidity just make sure to eat your veggies with meat. Plus you are eating plenty of dairy for calcium.
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I really don't understand why they restrict the protein. Our bodies are designed to flush out excess proteins unless you have some sort of kidney problems. As long as you aren't going over your calorie limits you should be fine and won't gain weight from it. If anything, you will gain weight if you are getting too many carbs and too many fats.

I try to keep my carb and protein totals at about 40 percent and the rest from fat.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein target is set at 15%, which is quite low. I have manually altered mine to 40C, 30F and 30P, and aim for 1g of protein per lean mass daily.

That's about 100g, but I don't always get there.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    as stated in previous posts, MFP sets protein very low. I am over almost every day, and tbh, i aim to go over. My diet doesnt usually allow that much protein so im on protein shakes as protein is really important, and you need roughly 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. I've found eating more protein has helped boost my weight loss!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi all- I've a quick question on protein targets. I seem to have no problem staying within calorie goal but have been over protein target by ~15g a few days.. anyone know the implications. I dont eat massive portions of meat but i do eat dairy frequently- all reduced fat varieties -as I dont want osteoporosis!!! Is this a major boo boo in terms of weight loss???

Ensure you are gaining enough calcium as well if you are concerned about osteoporosis!
  • ClareDes
    ClareDes Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks for all replies- i was pretty sure the Protein targets were low so thanks for re-affirming!! as for Calcium intake dont worry- i need my own cow- i have always been anal about getting enough Ca in my diet - but dairy is something people often shelve when they want to lose weight!